IGNORED

Deadwood, South Dakota

Dale124

Thank you for the high honors!

Its getting worse with time. I think as a society we have lost all shame! If you want to see extreme cases come to Sturgis or shop at walmart haha.

Wal-Mart Where every visit is trully a sight to behold.... Man i miss K-mart, I have finally swallowed my pride and started going back to target but have hard time trying to find clothes there....

I found Sturgis surprisingly tame. I suppose they have enough LEO's around to maintain civility. And the few scantilly dressed women I saw I suspect were paid models. They were young, absolutely gorgeous, and would pose for photos with you if you asked. I've seen the youtube videos about Sturgis too and I didn't see anything like that. But, I left before dark and maybe it gets wilder later at night. If you are expecting a wild and woolly town that isn't safe you will be disappointed.

I've hit Sturgis on/off since the 80s and we should never confuse "hot" with "scandly clad". You will see many painful reminders that dressing like your hot does not make you hot. Ooh yea, you'll see that! :rotf: Unless you have a fetish for partially exposed tats you will leave highly disappointed. :beer:

Have a good time if your going during the rally and if your cool with the crowds more power to ya, but if your goal is to interact with, or even view pretty ladies then I urge you to adjust your expectations.:icon_lurker:

Hey, speaking as a fat old man as most of the venture riders members seem to be, I applaud the less than perfect women who have enough self confidence to show off their stuff! It's Sturgis bike week after all. More power to them! Seems to be the typical male attitude, we want a 10 in a woman even if we are only a 2! :Laugh::crying:

I found Sturgis surprisingly tame. I suppose they have enough LEO's around to maintain civility. And the few scantilly dressed women I saw I suspect were paid models. They were young, absolutely gorgeous, and would pose for photos with you if you asked. I've seen the youtube videos about Sturgis too and I didn't see anything like that. But, I left before dark and maybe it gets wilder later at night. If you are expecting a wild and woolly town that isn't safe you will be disappointed.
It was much more wild decades ago, folks knew what they were doing and had some backbone, then we started seeing more and more RUBs. They came along about the time all those chopper build shows started popping up on TV. I think that effectively handed a really great subculture to the mainstream and it became watered down to what you see today. There were always elitists and 1%ers but the douchy show-off poser content is through the roof. Look at all the guys that trailor now, thats relatively new. I dont ride during the rally because the crushing lack of experience and skill seen with todays HD owner is awe inspiring, and dangerous to be around. Im sick of idiots trying to make me part of their plan to die in the Black Hills. So I always sit it out whereas I used to go and have some fun. Its very different now, they dont make bikers the way they used to. While im on a rant I want to know when they got so damn slow. If you get stuck behind a gaggle of HDs you are almost stopping around corners and often halving the speed limit. Its like being stuck behind school buses. Besies the several deaths and hundreds of injuries every rally week these are a few reasons I tour elsewhere or bug in during rally time and part of tourist season. I have gotten to used to the hills being blissful and empty. -/rant mode off.

Hey, speaking as a fat old man as most of the venture riders members seem to be, I applaud the less than perfect women who have enough self confidence to show off their stuff! It's Sturgis bike week after all. More power to them! Seems to be the typical male attitude, we want a 10 in a woman even if we are only a 2! :Laugh::crying:
. Im no beach body, its all good, but I keep my shirt on as a courtesy to all haha. I have no issues with big folks but there is an unspoken dress code for those of us that are less than young and hot. My point was only that Sturgis looks nothing like the cover of Easy Rider. I have a few extra pounds and years and meant no offense to anyone of stature.

To stay with the spirit of the thread, Im in Deadwood now, got a jacuzzi suite at Cadillac Jacks. Its $59/night but will be about $1300/night during rally. Its not to bad here now but almost all plates are out of state so they are coming. We've had a couple good meals and scant amounts of gambling. Going to the Gem stakehouse for bkfast now I hen we'll get a cigar and walk around. Its a good time to be here. We should totally do a spring rally here although it gets chilly at night for the camping crowd. Ill submit a pic later.

When I was there last August, I stayed in the Fairfield Inn in Spearfish. Directly across the highway we ate at a buffet the last night there and they had the best fried chicken. I regret not asking about the batter they used on the chicken.

I live on east side of state. I have friends that say the best time to ride the hills is the week after labor day. Kids are back in school so tourist numbers are down. Bonus is starting to see fall colors. Most all of the businesses are still open. Easier to find lodging etc.

As far as Deadwood itself. It isn't very big, and it has the historic main street. You have to think of Deadwood as the Black Hills. Study up on the area. 50 miles each way from Deadwood is some of the best scenery and riding you can imagine. Even take the suggestions Casey has said about rides and do a you tube search, you will like what you see. Also if you like the old west check out the 1880s train. Also it's worth the drive through the badlands. It's like being on the moon compared to the Black Hills. Amazing that two different landscapes are that close together.

Most of all have fun!!!!!!

your right about the scenery of the Badlands but when I was out there in 08, the gravel roads were all wash boarded out. The 50 mile ride through there liked to kill me. It also almost rattled the bike apart like it was a Harley.

Wow, Puc, thanks for all the great information. Now I really really want to go out that way.

My wife and I have been discussing where to vacation this summer. If she wants to go to Deadwood, it would be in July,I might have to go in the cage, but if she doesn't want to go, I will have to talk divey (Doug Ivey) into making a road trip on the bikes in June (I don't think it would be too hard to convince him, if his schedule allowed).

Either way, we would be hotel-ing it. Haven't camped for years.

Dale.

You are more than welcome my friend - glad I could possibly help.. Wish you and your wife nothing but the best if you two make it out there!! If you dont and you and that Divey end up going = You two lop eared Canuckian varmints would have a BLAST in those Black Hills Dale!! LOTS to see and do brother!! Definitely motorcycle heaven IMHO!:thumbsup:

Puc... you are a Master Wordsmith.

I would really enjoy it if time and geography would ever let us meet in person.

Awe,, thanks Duey,, those sort of kind words are always appreciated!! Right back at you on hoping our paths cross someday - if they do though, hope your not to disappointed cause you will find one of those worn out old hippy happy go lucky bikers that the guys on here been talking about - certainly NOT a 1% = more of a 1/2% just so you know what to expect :big-grin-emoticon:.. Got my :fingers-crossed-emo that someday we do get to meet IRL - would be an honor brother!!:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly can't compete with cowpuc but been there on 2 wheels and in cage... great time either way!

Its al about what you want to do .. I can only mention a few other things that weren't brought up yet..

Just about a mile east of Sturgis is Fort Meade and the Cavalry Museum.. built in 1878 by the remaining troops of General Custer's 7th Cavalry and claims to the birthplace of the "Star Spangled Banner". I also read once that every US Calvary General did time there ...

Just outside Deadwood on the hill behind town is Mount Moriah Cemetery... burial place of Wild Bill Hickok, Calamity Jane, Sol Star, but to see the grave site of Seth Bullock you need to take the path to the the top of the mountain. not a bad walk and you can Roosevelt National Park from there

An exit or 2 west of the Badlands on I-90 is a Nike Site there actually 2 locations run by NPS. the 1st one lets you see a control station and has a brief vide presentation. Usually has a ranger there. I short hop down 90 and you can see one of the launch silos.

Definitely make it to Rushmore and make sure to go back for the night show/closing ceremonies. Do Iron Mountain road from south to north. You get the tunnel framing Rushmore picture that way.

Walk the perimeter of Devils tower, worth the time...

Not for lack of sightseeing.. just depends on what you like!

pa_don

• 1 month later...

Well, it's all set. Fellow VR member Divey and myself are heading to Deadwood on June 10. Hopefully we will arrive there on the 11th, weather permitting. Thanks to all that posted suggestions for the area. If any of you would like to meet us there, it would be great!! We won't be able to stay too long, as I need to be back the following weekend, but we will try to make the most of the trip with the time we have.

Dale.

Well, it's all set. Fellow VR member Divey and myself are heading to Deadwood on June 10. Hopefully we will arrive there on the 11th, weather permitting. Thanks to all that posted suggestions for the area. If any of you would like to meet us there, it would be great!! We won't be able to stay too long, as I need to be back the following weekend, but we will try to make the most of the trip with the time we have.

Dale.

OUTSTANDING DALE = hope you and Doug have nothing but the FINEST of adventure out there in the Wild West my friends!!! Keep your tires inflated and tanks full in case you have to outrun any claim jumpers in the Black Hills and dont let that Divey get robbed by any One Armed Bandiits :sign20:.. Wish I could be with you varmints!!

:sign green with env

Puc

PS = :photographing:'s please,,, :ice_thy-vi101212101

Im done working on the 7th or 8th so deffs hit me up. I live around 30 minutes from Deadwood but if the tourists are out in force I generally avoid the hills. Wife and I took a ride up around Pactola reservoir yesterday and it was still pretty mellow. Early June is pretty decent. Once we get into July and Aug it can get really gridlocked making it hard to savor the hills and fantastic motorcycling roads.

Your timing is good, I often grill in the eves during summer and fall, im not really a pro but your welcome for supper while your in the area. Are you planning to ride the badlands while your here?

Im done working on the 7th or 8th so deffs hit me up. I live around 30 minutes from Deadwood but if the tourists are out in force I generally avoid the hills. Wife and I took a ride up around Pactola reservoir yesterday and it was still pretty mellow. Early June is pretty decent. Once we get into July and Aug it can get really gridlocked making it hard to savor the hills and fantastic motorcycling roads.

Your timing is good, I often grill in the eves during summer and fall, im not really a pro but your welcome for supper while your in the area. Are you planning to ride the badlands while your here?

Wow, what a nice offer, CaseyJ. Not too sure what rides we will be doing, but we will try to touch base with you to meet up. I really look forward to riding in this area, hopefully the weather cooperates.

Dale.

Wow, what a nice offer, CaseyJ. Not too sure what rides we will be doing, but we will try to touch base with you to meet up. I really look forward to riding in this area, hopefully the weather cooperates.

Dale.

No prob, it sounds like time is a factor so whatever you have time for is fine, Im off all month after the 8th. I live off hwy 44 west/Rimrock scenic a few minutes west of Rapid City. Its a stunning ride from deadwood to my place. If your camping you can wash a load and grab a shower. I have been extended these courtesies by friends and even strangers more times than I can remember in my aimless travals so its all good. If you like Filipino food give me a heads up, wife cooks for any reason, otherwise we've always got something to throw on the grill. Ill PM my #.