IGNORED

Seat covers

I don't know what everyone does about fixing their damaged or worn out seats, but I recently found a company selling reproduction seat covers on Ebay. I was planning on having mine recovered by an upholstery shop until I ran across this company. These are for the 83-85 model years and you can either get them in brown or black. I went with black since I will be changing the color of my bike when I paint it. Not trying to push the product, but the quality is so good I thought I would share in case anyone else is looking for a solution for their bike. These look pretty much exactly like the original including the heat boss pattern. It has the extra foam sewed into both seating areas like the original cover. Also included is the back rest cover. The company is in Cambodia, but they still shipped pretty fast. Here are a few pics, so you can take a look at the covers and make your own decision. I will post a few pics once I get the seat recovered, and comment on the fit. The test fit looked very good, so hopefully my skills are up to the challenge!

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Those look pretty nice. I saw some covers out of China a couple months back, not much cheaper.

I would love to go to brown, probably a bit less brutal on those triple digit temp days. Do they look like they have enough give to account for some reshaping of the seat?

Those look pretty nice. I saw some covers out of China a couple months back, not much cheaper.

I would love to go to brown, probably a bit less brutal on those triple digit temp days. Do they look like they have enough give to account for some reshaping of the seat?

I would say any reshaping would have to be pretty minor. I took some measurements off of the new cover and compared it to the original and it is spot on, exact same size. They did a nice job of matching the original. So if you look at the underside of the seat (see pic) they don't have much overlap, probably around an inch or so. If you get crazy and start adding to much foam they may not stretch enough to staple them to the underside. I would think some added foam would be ok, but not sure how much you could add. If you start taking foam away like making the seating area deeper, it probably wouldn't fit very well either. The back rest area isn't going to let the seat area sit any lower, maybe a little but probably not much. I will know more when I attempt to put the cover on, and see how it fits. I hope to spend some time on it this weekend. Here is a pic of the underside of my seat before I removed the original so you can see the amount of material on the underside. Hope this helps.

rsz_1img_0239.jpg

Just noticed that it says at the bottom of the listing, if they don't make the cover you need they will make one for free. I am assuming you send them a good original cover that they can duplicate and they will send you a free one. May be an option for the later model years. Not saying anyone should do it, just pointing out what it says in the listing.

It looks pretty good. I'm not sure too much foam needs to be added or removed, at most I would be interested in removing some foam and replacing it with better quality foam that is not 30 years old, at least along the contact patch. For me the seating position is good but there are some pressure spots that might need to be massaged out. My seat cover is in good shape but I would really really really like to go to camel instead of black. I'll be watching to see how it fits and what your opinion is of the finished product.

Just noticed that it says at the bottom of the listing, if they don't make the cover you need they will make one for free. I am assuming you send them a good original cover that they can duplicate and they will send you a free one. May be an option for the later model years. Not saying anyone should do it, just pointing out what it says in the listing.

Might be worth looking into a bit more.. The Corbin I have now would cost $325 to have it recovered by the factory. My concern would be that it's made out of the same material as the original, and that they use the same or better thread... A thin material would look OK for a while, but after being exposed to the elements it would soon loose shape and start to fall apart.