IGNORED

Saying "Good By" To An Old Friend!

skydoc_17

I received a PM from Ed Lawrence (84xj1100) earlier this week, he told me after much thought, that he would be selling his 86'VR and not renewing his membership to VR.ORG. I was sad to hear this, to say the least.

The passion that started each and every one of us riding motorcycles in the first place, at some point is replaced with the realization that as people that have

"taken the path less traveled" we have to weigh our limitations, whatever they may be, and come to the conclusion that because of age, health, or physical limitations, we must give up our passion for riding, and hopefully replace it with the next leg of this journey we call "Life". I will miss Ed, I will miss his friendship, but I respect his decision to give up riding because it takes a "true man" to admit that he has realized his own limitations BEFORE he injures himself, or God forbid someone else. When my time comes, I hope I am MAN enough to make such a wise decision. Please take a moment and wish Ed a fond adue, and safe journeys in whatever new adVENTURE he undertakes.

Safe Journeys, My dear old friend!

Earl

Here is the PM I received from Ed,

"Skydoc,

As one of the most helpful folks I've encountered on this forum, I'd like to ask you a favour, if it's not too much trouble.

I just rec'd my membership renewal (due today) and unfortunately I believe this will be the year that I will be selling my 86 Venture. I won't be renewing the membership but wanted to ask if you could post my sincerest thanks to all on the forum for all there wisdom, assistance and guidance they've provided over the past 9 yrs and 80K kms.

A special thank you to yourself as you've always made me feel so welcome on this forum.

Thank You so much

Ed Lawrence (84xj1100)"

Wow, I can sure understand this situation. Year before last, I rode about 250 miles after making a bunch of upgrades on my 83 and did not even start it last year as I could not get the battery to charge.

Linda and I took the little Miata down into South Carolina Sunday and Monday and on the way home we came back thru Lake Junaluska, near Maggie Valley and up 209 to Hot Springs, NC. This is always a nice curvy ride, but it has been repaved and now it is perfect. As I was riding along enjoying how the Miata handles, I really started missing my Venture. I have been thru there many times on the Venture, but this time, with the new smooth pavement, it was almost overwhelming. I got to thinking that I knew I could get the bike in shape to safely ride, but could I get myself in shape to safely ride. I know that the things I would need to do to ride again are exactly the things I need to do anyway, but I just can not seem to make that commitment.

I can surely identify with how Ed feels and it is very difficult to make the decision to step back from something you have loved for such a BIG part of your life. I have put about 150,000 miles on the 83 and about 8,000 miles on a 850 Yamaha Triple Special that got me back into biking. In all these miles I have been extremely lucky. In the few times I have been down, all were just tip overs when almost stopped. There have been many other times that were down right scary and could have easily been deadly. Again, I was lucky.

Using good judgement is real important on a motorcycle and that includes knowing when to step away from them. Yes, I would have liked to have tried a trike, but for what a nice trike costs, I could almost buy a new Miata and I am not sure I would enjoy it as much and more important, how much would Linda enjoy it? Could she sit back there and doze off, like she did on the Venture many years ago, and like she does in the Miata now, or would she be constantly be scared?

I wish Ed well and Earl, I appreciate you posting your feelings and you are absolutely correct in your comments about knowing when to call it quits, as it is not easy.

Randy

I dont believe I ever met Ed, but I wish him well in whatever he chooses. As been said many times, just because you sell the bike it doesnt mean you have to leave the family. I am sure Ed has knowledge in something that can help somebody, sometime:thumbsup2:

Isnt it interesting how highly a person thinks of the first person they contact on this site, that offers to help them in some way. Ed obviously feels that way about you Earl. I always appreciated Squidleys offer of help long ago... Hey I didnt forget you Earl, thanks for helping with the trike!!

And on that note, if you like the wind in your face dont rule out a trike! Shop around there are deals to be had. They are different then a bike, but alot of fun to learn how to ride and perfect the technique. Linda would feel very safe on a trike and I bet she would enjoy the ride.

All the best Ed

Craig

Hey Ed, sorry to read this but I TOTALLY respect your decision of "when its time"!! A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.. Please remember that you are ALWAYS welcome to come back my friend - once a VR club member ALWAYS a VR club member. I bid you Gods speed in what ever the future holds for you brother, you have nothing but the BEST of hopes and wishes coming your way!!!!:thumbsup:

Puc