IGNORED

New RSV Owner

rek58

Well just closed the deal from a private seller on an '01 RSV. Haven't picked it up yet so no pictures at the moment. Also my first dealings on Ebay and I have to admit it was a good experience. Just a little over 7000 miles, the bike is in beautiful condition. The guy I bought it from, got it from someone in NY who bought it new in '04 (leftover). I guess he needed money earlier this year and had to sell. I know these bikes come with a 5 yr warranty and my question is, because the bike was sold as new in '04, I'm thinking that there should be a little of the warranty left. Anyone have any experience with this? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

As far as I know the warranty starts the date that the bike goes into service. Any dealer can tell you if there is any warranty left and if there is you will want to get listed as the current owner. Again any dealer should be able to do that for you too.

To Get The Warranty You Need To Hustle Down(or Call) To The Stealer And Notify Them That You Are The New Owner. You Have 10 Days. Some Dealers May Want To Inspect The Bike, Some Don't.

YOUR GONNA LOVE THAT "01". I'VE GOT 39K TROUBLE FREE MILES ON MY 01.

Yep just bought an 06 private, took it to local dealer, he walked around the bike once, a little paperwork and warranty was switched. He said the look over was basically to see if the bike had been crashed? Didnt cost anything either. Craig

I spoke to a dealer on Saturday about the warranty and after they looked up the VIN, I was told that the warranty had expired in '07. So I then told them that, how is that possible when the bike wasn't sold till '04? They didn't know and didn't want to get involved. So it looks like the original dealer was up to something sneaky. Although I'll have to wait till late Monday morning, looks like I'm going to have to call Yamaha out in Calif. It's probably not that big a deal, but I'm thinking that if I have a year left to the warranty and it doesn't cost me anything to get it, what the heck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, have had the bike out for a couple of small rides and things seem to be ok. As far as the warranty thing goes, when I was cleaning it, I pulled off the old inspection stickers of the front fork, (I'm so glad Mass puts them on the license plate now) what a pain in the ass to clean up, but I digress. Anyways, one of the stickers was from '03, so the dealer must have registered the bike. I still find it kinda funny that the bike was registered but had no mileage on it, I just hope nothing funny was going on. I do have the "chirp" and am definitely going to have to fix that. The wife couldn't hear it with her 3/4 helmet, but I definitely hear it with my 1/2 helmet. I just might do the switch out myself. From what I've read here, seems to be a pretty straight forward job. I ordered up some Bub slip ons from Dennis Kirk today, they'll be here Friday. I called Dennis Kirk about the price from Monkey Butt, they beat them by a dollar, as advertised. Also have some new K&N's coming in the next day or so, too. My wife loves the new seat, she says it's a big improvement over the stock Road Star seat, I know it probably will take a little getting use to, but I think I actually like my Road Star seat better, I seem to slide around a little on the RSV seat. Still no pictures, it's been raining here the last couple of days, but I'll get them on here eventually.