IGNORED

2nd Gen relay install locations

I'm looking at installing a relay for auxiliary lighting on my 2009 RSV. The previous owner installed some red LED strips under the fuel tank without a fuse. I would like to add a switch/fuse for all auxiliary lighting with a relay. Searched and found a few threads, but any with pictures are missing the pics. If you have any good pictures of your relay install and mounting, I would appreciate seeing them.

Thanks

I was able to mount a fused buss bar and 3 relays (horns, passing lamps, I forget the third one) under right side drivers seat. I mounted switches on the left side under the drivers seat thru the plastic backing of the seat pan to power on/off the relays (except the horn). On the left side I can reach back with my left hand and switch them on/off.

For add-ons up front (GPS, passing lights)....I did a relay to a six gang fuse block inside the front fairing.

For add-ons in the back (two Stebel horns, trailer converter)...I did a relay to six gang fuse block under the passenger back rest. The relay is triggered by the running lights to ground.

For add-ons up front (GPS, passing lights)....I did a relay to a six gang fuse block inside the front fairing.

For add-ons in the back (two Stebel horns, trailer converter)...I did a relay to six gang fuse block under the passenger back rest. The relay is triggered by the running lights to ground.

So, lets see if I have this right. You ran one hot wire, ground and trigger wire to the relay in the fairing. When the relay was energized it powered a six gang fuse block, and then you could run one of those six individual wires to your accessory (or a switch)?

Would you mind posting a link to that fuse block?

Thanks!!

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/100-30a-led-micro-blade-fuse-block/A-p8479495e

For the front fairing, relay wired in as recommended for wiring up passing lights. Enables power to the fuse block which then energizes the devices. I initially put in an inline fuse but didn't feel I needed it. Battery to relay directly, then to fuse block. Individual power feeds to each device.

For the rear, to pick up a trigger I used the running lights and ground to complete the trigger...Relay and fuse block under the passenger back rest. In addition to the horns, I also ran a power feed to a usb charger I mounted in the back wall of the trunk lid.

Consider the hot wire guage when running power to a fuse block. It needs to be able to handle the total load of what is connected to the fuse block. Individual wires coming off the fuse block can be a smaller gauge than the battery hot wire since they aren't handling the same amperage load.

Edited by XV1100SE

Perfect, thank you. I never realized there is room under the passengers backrest!!

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/100-30a-led-micro-blade-fuse-block/A-p8479495e

For the front fairing, relay wired in as recommended for wiring up passing lights. Enables power to the fuse block which then energizes the devices. I initially put in an inline fuse but didn't feel I needed it. Battery to relay directly, then to fuse block. Individual power feeds to each device.

For the rear, to pick up a trigger I used the running lights and ground to complete the trigger...Relay and fuse block under the passenger back rest. In addition to the horns, I also ran a power feed to a usb charger I mounted in the back wall of the trunk lid.

Consider the hot wire guage when running power to a fuse block. It needs to be able to handle the total load of what is connected to the fuse block. Individual wires coming off the fuse block can be a smaller gauge than the battery hot wire since they aren't handling the same amperage load.