IGNORED

oil leak freak out !!!!

That's a first for me. Have never seen it before. What kind of filter are you using? Are you sure it's seating as it should? There has been a lot of talk here about some filters being redesigned so that they are not concave like they once were and not seating properly. That is the first thing I would look at.

It looks to me like the heaviest concentration is around the drain plug. Nothing around the filter and not much close to the pan bolts.

Before disturbing the pan bolts why not clean it really good... spray Purple Power or something similar on it, rinse it with a strong water spray and then keep an eye on it. maybe just lay a good sized mirror on the floor under it so you can get a good look by just walking by.

I know on my 1st Gens they really dont care much for being over filled on an oil change. This would result in oil building up in the air box and ultimately result in a similar leak. No idea how the breather venting is set up on a 2nd Gen but it might not be a bad idea to see if you got a little to much oil in it. Also, maybe check the vent tubes and make sure they are all still attached.

Also looks like its leaking from the stator side of scoot. Might check and see if the leak is above the clutch slave/forward bevel gear covers. If its not wet above that area - could be a gasket/o-ring has gone south under those covers.. Just a matter of tracking it back IMHO..

Bottom line - it only takes a few drops of oil to make a sizable splat on the floor!!!:240:

That's a first for me. Have never seen it before. What kind of filter are you using? Are you sure it's seating as it should? There has been a lot of talk here about some filters being redesigned so that they are not concave like they once were and not seating properly. That is the first thing I would look at.

The actual oil filter is fine and tight and there is no oil leaking out around it?

It

Before disturbing the pan bolts why not clean it really good... spray Purple Power or something similar on it, rinse it with a strong water spray and then keep an eye on it. maybe just lay a good sized mirror on the floor under it so you can get a good look by just walking by.

I agree. Check the oil line coming down from clutch slave cylinder. I had a leak like this several months ago. Turned out to be the slave leaking. Good luck.

I agree. Check the oil line coming down from clutch slave cylinder. I had a leak like this several months ago. Turned out to be the slave leaking. Good luck.

So How hard was the fix? Any details you want to share will be helpful as I see this as my winter project.

So How hard was the fix? Any details you want to share will be helpful as I see this as my winter project.

I don't remember the details, but if you'll do a search on clutch slave repair or replacement, there should be plenty of info available. That's how I replaced mine. If I knew how to direct you there with a link, I would.

Clutch slave replacement is actually pretty easy but it usually requires a new gasket for the stator cover which has to come off to get to the slave. There are two bolts that hold it on, and the hydraulic line has to be removed. The hard part is wiggling and twisting the slave to get it out of where it is mounted, but with the right curse words and proper twisting it finally falls out...

Clutch slave replacement is actually pretty easy but it usually requires a new gasket for the stator cover which has to come off to get to the slave. There are two bolts that hold it on, and the hydraulic line has to be removed. The hard part is wiggling and twisting the slave to get it out of where it is mounted, but with the right curse words and proper twisting it finally falls out...

I think it's the middle gear cover that has to be removed to get the slave out.

I still think I'd determine what is causing the leak before starting to fix things. Finding oil leaks does not have to be difficult. Clean it up, run it a little and take a look. You can also get ultra-violet/fluorescent dye designed to go into the oil. Then you can look for it with UV lamp.

...just sayin'...

I think it's the middle gear cover that has to be removed to get the slave out.

I still think I'd determine what is causing the leak before starting to fix things. Finding oil leaks does not have to be difficult. Clean it up, run it a little and take a look. You can also get ultra-violet/fluorescent dye designed to go into the oil. Then you can look for it with UV lamp.

...just sayin'...

Had a little pre christmas laugh. I read your post quickly and went... where the hell am i going to find a lava lamp :) just another late Wed.

One thing I do remember, I didn't have to remove the stator cover. Like someone else said, you have to turn and twist the slave cylinder to get it out, but it can be done. I didn't bother with rebuilding, I just replaced with a new one from either Ebay or Boats.net. (I don't remember which) That being said, you need to make sure that the problem is with the slave cylinder. It could be something else such as a loose banjo bolt on the line coming from the slave cylinder. Diagnose then cure!!!!

OK, it's been MANY years since I did a slave replacement! Maybe it is just the "middle" cover, but still, you may or may not need a new gasket. Hey, I'm getting old, can't remember breakfast, much less something I did back in '09...

Never did the clutch slave on my 2nd gen, just the 1st gen. Did have the stator cover off on the 2nd gen to replace stator...

OK, it's been MANY years since I did a slave replacement! Maybe it is just the "middle" cover, but still, you may or may not need a new gasket. Hey, I'm getting old, can't remember breakfast, much less something I did back in '09...

Never did the clutch slave on my 2nd gen, just the 1st gen. Did have the stator cover off on the 2nd gen to replace stator...

:think:,,, you got no monopoly on that market,,, :scratchchin:,,,,, :think:,,,,,,, :lightbulb:= Bob :missingtooth:

Had a little pre christmas laugh. I read your post quickly and went... where the hell am i going to find a lava lamp :) just another late Wed.

You can still find lava lamps on ebay, but I don't think it would help you with this unless of course you...

• 1 month later...