IGNORED

Helmets With Built In Bluetooth

Brenda H

Ok Here's the situation. I have the usual stock set up on my RSV but there is nothing on the RSTC. I got a flyer awhile back from CycleGear promoting a sale on their store brand Built helmets with the bluetooth already installed. No idea who's unit they are using but one of the newer models is being promoted as being a Sena system. It got me curious so I started looking around. I posted in another thread about finding the HawkX1 system installed in a HJC Modular. I thought at the time that the listing I had seen online was from Motorcycle Superstore but it turned out it was from Leatherup. The Hawk bluetooth is their store brand and they have it built into several of their Hawk helmets but also into the HJC. Again, I have no idea who builds the Hawk units but what I find is interesting is the price on the HJC is only about $10 higher than the helmet normally retails for.

I'm looking at the bluetooth helmets primarily for the RSTC as it has no radio set up. I also spend most of my time driving listening to audiobooks thru the BT link with my phone and the car. Ditto on the RSV using a set of earbuds and the phone. A helmet with the Bluetooth already installed seems to be a win win situation for me. Lord knows I have enough helmets [5 if you count the one I bought for my mum to use]. I could buy one of the "to be installed" BT units but I've priced some of those at higher than the price of the HJC with the Hawk unit already installed!

Does anyone have one of these BT installed helmets, either the Built or the Hawk? The onsite reviews on the Built helmets were something of a mixed bag depending on which one you were looking at. I couldn't find anything on the Hawks. If I went with the Hawk, it would be the HJC helmet as it is the IS model with the built in sun shield, something I won't buy a helmet without. And I can get it in red! :cool:

I have a Nolan N103 NCOM with all the buttons and whistles. Unfortuantely I've never had a chance to try it out... Bought the like new helmet, and all, off eBay a couple of years ago. $75 bucks Buy It Now. Almost broke my hand hitting the BIN button... My plans were to sync the helmet to my Garmin BT GPS that included voice directions, an MP3 player, and it in turn could be sync'd to my cell phone... I have used the Garmin sync'd to the phone, and it works great. Alas that was the plan, but like all things lately it's sitting on the back burner. One of these days... :-)

Brenda

I don't have either of the helmets you listed but I do have a helmet with the SENA bluetooth system (SMH-10). When I ride and don't need the CB etc, I use it and have access to my music on the Iphone as well as navigation tools. I enjoy the functionality and the sound. They also work well between you and a passenger or riding buddy on their own bike.

When we go in a group and need the CB I usually use a wired helmet but also have the option to use the dongle made by Bob Myers. It works well but you lose the stereo part of the music. With the wired helmet, you can still connect the Iphone for music and navigation through the AUX port on the RSV. You do however, lose the ability to make or receive calls (these are that great going down the freeway). With the dongle you have to get the connector from Bob and purchase an additional SENA main unit.

Best of luck!!

Dave

Check the reviews against models of helmets. If I remember right the open face ones are possibly the ones with issues. I have a Bell Mag 9 with SENA smh10. It could use better speakers as sometimes its hard to hear music. Also if I leave the mic's on "open" the wind noise kills my ears. So I have ours set to push to talk.

• 3 weeks later...

Hannah and I (rider/passenger) have Bell Mag9's with the Sena SMH10 units installed. They basically work well, but.....

1. On two different Mag9 helmets (traded trikes, different colors so we needed different color helmets of course! (smile)) I have had one of the speakers fail (or drop to an unhearable level). Both times it was the left speaker.

2. Wind noise can be a problem, but I usually simply use the tap to talk method.

3. Tried plugging my MP3 into the Sena but was not happy with the sound reproduction so I use the Wing's system thru the trikes speakers. The Goldwing is quiet enough for that to sound pretty good.

4. Would like to try the Goldwing and J&M headsets but investing in new helmets and new headsets when we already have these is a bit more than I want to spend at this time. If J&M had a system than would fit the Mag9's I'd snap 'em up I think!

I appreciate the answers guys but I'm still kinda in the same boat. All of my helmets, with one exception, have Edsets installed. For me to do bluetooth, I either buy one of the CycleGear Bilt helmets or the Leather Up HJC Hawk combo, or buy another helmet and one of the aftermarket headsets like the Sena SMH10s. The HJC with the Hawk set up is $240. For me to buy the same helmet and add the Sena SMH10 system to it brings the cost up to $370! I find it interesting that LeatherUp is selling the HJC combo so cheap considering the base price of the helmet but that's what got my attention in the first place. I don't know of anyone with the pre-installed headsets and I'd like to know if/how they work, mostly due to the cost factor. :mo money:

BTW, the reason for NOT installing the Sena in the one headset-less helmet I have [and buying the HJC!] is that I'd like to have at least one helmet that matches the trike and a neon HJC SyMaxIII doesn't quite do that :motorcyclehelmet: .

I appreciate the answers guys but I'm still kinda in the same boat. All of my helmets, with one exception, have Edsets installed. For me to do bluetooth, I either buy one of the CycleGear Bilt helmets or the Leather Up HJC Hawk combo, or buy another helmet and one of the aftermarket headsets like the Sena SMH10s. .
Gotta ask, is there something wrong with getting just the Sena and mounting it on one of the helmets you already have? My only experience with the LeatherUp Hawk is with one of their helmets. It was very cheap and lasted a couple of years and was probably worth what it cost but not likely to get another one. Suspect their headset might be of the same quality. I currently have an HJC IS-Max BT which has been awesome for six years. It has connections built in for a BT headset, probably a Chatterbox. My Sena SMH 10 installed over the cover plate just fine.