IGNORED

Made the mistake of checking the coolant level last week.

Update:

I feel "STOOPID"...yea. The coolant recovery bottle on the 89 VR simply lifts up. It's mounted on a track and you disconnect the two hoses and lift. Came right up.

Lordy...there are times when I wonder what I was thinking last week when I was looking at it wondering how to get it off without breaking anything. Darn yamaha engineers were sure smarter than I when they designed that bottle!!

There are so many times when plastic parts in particular are held on or together using a simple although not so obvious method. However, sometimes there is a screw or something solid that is not so readily visible. I totally empathize with you and I also think you made the best choice by asking before continuing. More than one person on VR.org has done everything that could ever be needed on our bikes so it is the best source to find information.

Ahhh, yes, now it comes back to me!! The track is either riveted on or bolted on, I can't remember which! Sorry, haven't looked at my 1st gen in that area since 2009!

It is actually a plastic track on the inner fairing mount. I just couldn't say for certain if there was a bolt there.

• 2 months later...