IGNORED

prescription eyewear for bikers

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Its not often that a complete stranger will walk up and ask about a mans eyewear.

I was in O'Rileys Auto Parts buying a filter wrench for the thimble-sized oil filter that these Ventures use. I had just gotten off the bike, and walked in wearing these PanOptx prescription sunglass/goggles that I bought last year in Sturgis. At the counter, this fella said, hey, what kinda shades are those? I told him they are PanOptx, and he said, oh...did you get those in Lubbock? (large town 45 miles away)

I chuckled and said no, I got them in Sturgis, South Dakota, and I got a few snorts from the employees and a few customers....guess it seemed kinda exotic to these homies.

Anyway, he said they looked really cool, and I told him PanOptx was on the internet.

I have worn prescription glasses for a very long time, and those of us who do, sometimes have problems finding something suitable for wearing on a motorcycle during daylight hours. Now, most everyone on this website is riding a bike with a windshield, so this may or may not be relevant. But my prescription has always been difficult for the opticians to fit in a nice frame, something that looks good, but also works well.

I was referred to the Eye Lenses booth at Thunderdome last year, by a good freind, and on a lark, I walked up and looked at what they had. Sure, all the cool looking riding glasses that I can never wear. But this fella walked up and asked if he could help...I said nah, nothing here will work with my prescription...I already know that.

He looked at my glasses and said, I bet WE can fix you up. I told him, stubbornly, nope...been there, done that. He said, if we can do it, will you buy a pair? I said, yeah, but KNOWING I wont be dragging out the credit card today.

Well he asked for my glasses, put them in the cradle of a fancy machine...took a few readings, punched a few buttons, and said..matter of factly, yep...we can make a pair for ya...but it needs to be one of about 4 frames that will work...here ya go...hows this one look to ya?

Well, he was showing me a nice pair of black PanOptx sunglasses, that had a nice little plastic/foam insert to make them work as goggles for bikes.

I said no way...I can NEVER wear something this nice...my lenses will never fit...he said..oh yeah. he can do it.

Right. 40 years of knowledge about my lenses doubted...but ok...he showed my the lens blanks, and asked me a few questions about tinting and such, then asked if I wanted to try the frames on. Sure. Damn...they looked good.

Well he quoted me a very reasonable price, and said to be back in two hours.

Time went pretty slowly that afternoon...but when I made it back to the booth, there they were...MY NEW SHADES!

No big deal if you dont wear prescriptions lenses like mine, but wow...this was cool!

I still didnt beleive it. But I put them on, and HOLY ****!!! I can see!! All of my other prescription sunglasses have always been...well...ugly...Im either stuck with a big fat ugly plastic frame, or flimsy metal frames that are OK for driving the car, but terrible on the bike.

This guy was like the Guru of Sunglasses! He DID it!! He made me pair that looked good AND worked good!

And I have been wearing them on my bikes ever since. I just take them for granted now, but when I got that compliment, it reminded me of how this came about.

If anyone finds themselves wanting a nice pair of sunglasses that work with difficult lense prescriptions, try these guys:

http://www.eyelenses4u.com

The brand and frame I got were the PanOptx Sirocco frames. PanOptx, I found out, has changed the name...but I'm sure the quality is just as good.

http://www.panoptx.com/

If you stayed with me and read this far, you probably have the same problem I've had. Dont give up...good stuff IS out there for us '4 eyes'!

Hey Brian, did you ever hear of CRT lenses, my daughter wears them and they are great, its a hard contact lens you wear while you are sleeping, it molds your Cornea to the proper shape, when you take them out in the morning you have 20/20 vision all day, without any eyewear, then you put them in again at nite, your closed eyelid applies the pressure to mold the eye. They work great for my daughter, she is in all kinds of sports and doesnt need to deal with the hassels of glasses.:080402gudl_prv: Craig

Guest tx2sturgis
I have had the photo grey (or what ever it is called now) lenses change when you go out and change back when you come in.

That way I do not have to switch them out. Glad it worked for you

Brad

Yep...problem with those is that the plastic Transitions lenses lose that ability in roughly a year or so...the glass Photochromatics dont lose that ability, but glass in my prescription is too thick and heavy. Besides, Transitions dont work well INSIDE a vehicle, they dont get enuff UV to change. So you dont get much shading when driving a car or in my case, a truck.

Hey Brian, did you ever hear of CRT lenses, my daughter wears them and they are great, its a hard contact lens you wear while you are sleeping, it molds your Cornea to the proper shape, when you take them out in the morning you have 20/20 vision all day, without any eyewear, then you put them in again at nite, your closed eyelid applies the pressure to mold the eye. They work great for my daughter, she is in all kinds of sports and doesnt need to deal with the hassels of glasses.:080402gudl_prv: Craig
Ive tried regular contacts, but I'm not home much...much of my life is spent in trucks and on bikes...and you dont always have the clean surroundings, chemical cleaning agents, and water, available, to assure safe use of contacts...besides, I need good consistent vision for sometimes 14-18 hours, and CRT wearers can experience drifting vision late in the day...Plus, I dont think my script lends itself to CRT...like I said...its complicated.

Brian,great write-up..I'm still trying to decide whether to get Lasik or try some new shades.
Thanks truck guy...Lasik is not for me...one, I'm dependent on good vision, day AND nite for my living, and LASIK can cause visual abberations, especially at night.

Two, the kertome scares me...if they screw up, I'm blind AND out of a job. Three...its expensive, and given my expected short life span of another 15 years maybe, its not a good investment. They are constanly improving surgical and laser vision correction, and if I was 25 years old, it might be an option.

Really, I wasnt trying to solicit for help...I was trying to provide some possible ideas to those riders who like me, need something to wear on our noggins that do the job, AND look good.

Brian,great write-up..I'm still trying to decide whether to get Lasik or try some new shades.

I did the Lasik route a few years ago. I've had the best vision I've ever had.

However, I still can't find decent sunglasses to wear under the helmet.

Guest tx2sturgis
I did the Lasik route a few years ago. I've had the best vision I've ever had.

However, I still can't find decent sunglasses to wear under the helmet.

You dont have ANY glare, starbursts, rainbows, rings, or anything else at night? Not even while driving and seeing headlights or traffic lights? Not even in your peripheral vision??? Nothing??? Hmmm...they did a good job, and you must be under 40 or so.

The PanOptx shades are certainly available in regular non-script lenses. Or of course, you probably have tried tinted faceshields....

Guest BluesLover

Thanks for the write up Brian.

I have struggled to find a prescription sunglass that I can wear on the bike (finally found a frame locally that would work last year). This might give me another option if they do work for us Canucks ...

Cheers

You dont have ANY glare, starbursts, rainbows, rings, or anything else at night? Not even while driving and seeing headlights or traffic lights? Not even in your peripheral vision??? Nothing??? Hmmm...they did a good job, and you must be under 40 or so.

The PanOptx shades are certainly available in regular non-script lenses. Or of course, you probably have tried tinted faceshields....

Not to hi-jack this thread, but for those interested, Lasik's has improved greatly. I've been researching corrective eye surgery procedures since 1994 and have seen the improvements. The new lasers can cover a larger area of your cornea to greatly reduce the side effect. You will have side effects at least until your eyes heal (around 6 months). There is no question about that. I do not have any sight issues that I did not already have. I always had blurry night vision. Now it's much better. I still have small halo and star bursting effects. However, my vision is far better than before I had surgery.

If you want more details PM me or we can take this to a new thread.

Cheers,