IGNORED

Texas in March

Big Auggie

Our guy trip is set for March 8-18th. We will be staying in Fredericksburg exploring the "Hill Country" for part of our journey. Looking for suggestions for "must see" places and routes from people that have ridden in other parts of Texas. Oh, we are also hitting Corpus Christi and Padre Islands. Also would appreciate hearing of any great local eateries.

No idea if you'll be near Big Bend N.P. but it's definitely worth the time if ya are!!! Make sure you stop for gas on your way in at,, :scratchchin:,, I think the place is called "Marathon".. Tiny little hole in the wall joint run by the nicest guy you'ld ever wanna meet PLUS - its the last chance fill up before you turn south and make the fuel station in the park:happy34:

My wife and I rode the "Hill Country" about a month ago. Absolutely loved it!!!

Make sure you:

Ride the 3 twisted sisters.

Eat at the Salt Lick BBQ just outside of Driftwood.

Go to Luckenbach.

Ride through Marble Falls.

Check out downtown Fredericksburg.

Go to New Braunfel and Gruene, Tx.

Ride Ride Ride. The hill country was fun to just ride and experience the Texas feeling.

Big Lenny

Agree with BigLenny's info.

Be extremely watchful of the deer and other varmints. Kerr County has the highest concentration of deer in the US. Avoid early and late day light, aka, "deer light" and any night riding. I saw more dead deer and signs of dead deer, "red ice", than I have anywhere I have riden. I did see many live ones thinking about running into me. Also there are some open ranges which means cattle on the road and their deposits, "green ice".

The weather can be tricky that time of year there so be prepared. The first time I was there was in March a few years ago. I camped a few nights in Llano River State Park. I had great weather but the day after getting home they had some cold wet and wet come in.

Keep an eye on the fuel situation.

I'm probably heading up that way this coming spring too.

I'm in the Black Hills, plenty of "hooved rats" here too. Always be looking on the shoulders and at night in some places cutting the speed limit in half is still taking a chance, best not to ride at night where wildlife is abundant. The other thing that we should be doing all the time anyway goes x2 at night where deer are present, never ride beyond your line of sight.

Deer are stupid (and delicious if cooked correctly), if they get spooked they just run in whichever direction they happen to be facing, even if that is right into the side of your scoot as your gliding by.

I'm in the Black Hills, plenty of "hooved rats" here too. Always be looking on the shoulders and at night in some places cutting the speed limit in half is still taking a chance, best not to ride at night where wildlife is abundant. The other thing that we should be doing all the time anyway goes x2 at night where deer are present, never ride beyond your line of sight.

Deer are stupid (and delicious if cooked correctly), if they get spooked they just run in whichever direction they happen to be facing, even if that is right into the side of your scoot as your gliding by.

Hey this is not always true as I have hit 4 deer with my vehicles, 2 out of 4 were facing towards the woods and like jumped a starting heading up from me then all the sudden made a 180 towards the road. I have been in a car where the damned thing literally ran into the side of the car. Never did find that deer guess he was ok and ran off.

Now the 4th deer I hit I was in a 93 Chevy Cavelier going down a back road shortcut home at 2 in the morning and she came out of nowhere. I slammed the breaks into a nosedive it flew over my car and into the ditch. Broke its back had to go get someone out in the back country up at 2 am to tell them I needed them to shoot it. So he came up with me with his gun and sure enough its back was broken. The guy shot it I asked him if he wanted it. Guess it was just to early for him he said just make sure you report it and gave me his number just in case conservation gave me any hassle about why it was shot because all my car got out of it was a small dent in the hood. Was sure some good eating tho...

The first night my wife and I got into the hill country, we stayed in Marble Falls. That night, we rode the bike to an Italian restaurant and ate dinner. As we were leaving the parking lot after dinner, 2 deer ran across the parking lot right in front of us. Then, on the ride back to the hotel 5 deer ran across the hwy in front of us. This was right in the middle of town.

The next day, we rode down through Kerrville and to Medina, Tx, then from Medina, we rode the 3 twisted sisters, which took us west through Leakey. We saw, and this is no joke, over 100 deer that day. We stopped counting at 80. It just became so commonplace to see deer, we got bored with counting how many we saw. We saw 35 in one location. We were sitting at a 4 way stop sign in Medina, and a doe and her fawn came prancing across right in the middle of the intersection. It was crazy.

So, yes, keep your head on a swivel, and don't ride at night out in the country.

Now the 4th deer I hit I was in a 93 Chevy Cavelier going down a back road shortcut home at 2 in the morning and she came out of nowhere. I slammed the breaks into a nosedive it flew over my car and into the ditch. Broke its back had to go get someone out in the back country up at 2 am to tell them I needed them to shoot it. So he came up with me with his gun and sure enough its back was broken. The guy shot it I asked him if he wanted it. Guess it was just to early for him he said just make sure you report it and gave me his number just in case conservation gave me any hassle about why it was shot because all my car got out of it was a small dent in the hood. Was sure some good eating tho...

Another good reason to have constitutional carry. Never know when you will need a gun.

Hey this is not always true as I have hit 4 deer with my vehicles, 2 out of 4 were facing towards the woods and like jumped a starting heading up from me then all the sudden made a 180 towards the road. I have been in a car where the damned thing literally ran into the side of the car. Never did find that deer guess he was ok and ran off.

Remember what CaseyJ955 said, "deer are stupid".

Here you are in the Black Hills, some great riding and I am in Texas. I go to your neighborhood and you come to mine. Gotta love us motorcyclist. Just think there are many people who never get out of their county. Boring!

Have a good one.

• 3 months later...
Big Auggie,

Are you guys gonna be riding down, or trailering down?

We'll trailer them to Woodlands. After that it's two weeks of solid motorcycling. So far we'll be visiting San Antonio, Chorpus Christie & Padre Island, Galveston, Houston, Fredericksburg, Austin. Just got dumped on with about 11" of heavy snow here in Chippewa Falls WI so we're more than ready to saddle up.

That sounds like a fun trip.

Fredericksburg is a neat place, but make sure you go ride the 3 twisted sisters out in the Leakey area. There is a place called the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop just west of Leakey that is a good place to grab a burger or something for lunch, as well as t-shirts and such. Also, just north of Vanderpool, there is a Lonestar Motorcycle Museum. When you ride the 3 twisted sisters (Hwy's 337, 336, and 335) its kinda like riding in a mini Colorado. beautiful. Leave Fredericksburg and head south on Hwy 16, down through Kerrville, then on 16 to Medina. Medina is where the first twisted sister starts (337). Head west all to Leakey, then north up 336 to Hwy 41. Then west for a few miles to 335. Go south on 335 down to Barksdale, then a little more south to Camp Wood. Thats where you'll take 337 back east to Leakey. a mile or so before you get back to Leakey is the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop on the right. Neat place. Plenty of bikes stopping there. When you get back to Leakey, go south on Hwy 83 for a short bit to 1050. Take 1050 east to Utopia, the go north out of Utopia on 187 for a short spell to 470. Take a right onto 470 and head east back to Hwy 16, then east to Bandera. From Bandera, you can take 16 down to San Antonio, or go to Boerne, or on to New Braunfels/Gruene. Gruene is a neat little place, with Texas' oldest dance hall there (where George Strait got his start),and a cool little area of old shops. Bikes will be parked around there for sure.

When you're headed to Fredericksburg, be sure and stop by Luckenbach, Texas. neat little old store and dance hall there, as well as locals playing music all day on the back porch area of the store. There'll be bikes there too. Eat at The famous Salt Lick BBQ around the Driftwood area. they only take cash.

There's so much to do down that way. 2 weeks ain't gonna touch it.