IGNORED

front brake mods

The front bakes are working on the ole' 99 but I want more. I'm thinking SS lines, a smaller bore MC and some tasty HH pads. I find myself using more rear than I prefer mainly because the front lever requires too much effort to get serious stopping done. I admit I have a front brake fetish, I like a light effective lever. So what have you guys done, and what were the results? If you had it to over??? Kinda related I think the rear is a bit TOO powerful, I've skidded the rear tire a time or 3, anyone else think that increasing rear effort a bit would be a good thing?

I just (yesterday) installed R6 Blue calipers and 14mm m/c from a Road Star. Not the drastic change I expected but I'my kind of glad about that. I installed with the pads that came with the used calipers because they are almost new. I only put about 30 city miles on so far but I'm glad I made the investment. Should have done it years ago. I had already upgraded to ss lines and didn't realize I needed new lines without an angled banjo fitting at the caliper and the direction of the banjos at 90 degrees from each other. I was able to make my lines work for now but am looking to order new ones. Just my take on it.

I just (yesterday) installed R6 Blue calipers and 14mm m/c from a Road Star. Not the drastic change I expected but I'my kind of glad about that. I installed with the pads that came with the used calipers because they are almost new. I only put about 30 city miles on so far but I'm glad I made the investment. Should have done it years ago. I had already upgraded to ss lines and didn't realize I needed new lines without an angled banjo fitting at the caliper and the direction of the banjos at 90 degrees from each other. I was able to make my lines work for now but am looking to order new ones. Just my take on it.

Excellent poop on the brake line change!

I hope someone will chime in if I'm ring about that. I even looked back through many posts and didn't notice that discussed. BTW, I love your tag line. I've always suffered from that same thing. I just can't seem to leave it alone. Is there a name for that condition?

I hope someone will chime in if I'm ring about that. I even looked back through many posts and didn't notice that discussed. BTW, I love your tag line. I've always suffered from that same thing. I just can't seem to leave it alone. Is there a name for that condition?

Fiddle futzing? LOL so is your bike a star? just wondering if the R1 calipers fit all years of venture?

If you want to try easy and cheap first......here is what indid:

EBC HH pads front and rear

Complete bleed and flush...refill with Prestone DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid (front and rear MC and Clutch)

Much better braking for not much $ or effort

If you buy Mid 90's AXIAL MOUNT R1 or R6 calipers (blue dot or gold dots) they fit any venture from '86 and up.

blue dot.jpg gold dot.jpg

If you have a Royal Star and looking to keep the silver/chrome calipers you can search for late model Road Star 1700cc models ('04-up), Stratoliners & Roadliners came with a version of the Blue dot calipers. Early model Road Star Warrior ('02 - '05) came in black & chrome. The Road Star & Warrior chrome/silver 14mm master cyliners fit the Royal Star line of bikes, I'm not certain on fitment of masters on early Ventures ('86-'93).

road star.jpg warrior.jpg Master.jpg

You DO NOT want radial mounted calipers from 2000's R1, R6 or late model ('05-up) Warrior.

Radial.jpg

If you buy Mid 90's AXIAL MOUNT R1 or R6 calipers (blue dot or gold dots) they fit any venture from '86 and up.
Apparently there is a replacement caliper that has the bleeder in the correct position while most(?) are upside down. Anyone know if that is so and which ones they are?

Great info on the road star brakes! Are the stock roady lines plug and play on a RSV?

Kinda...If you're on the stock rubber lines they will twist to fit the new location of the banjo-bolt. It doesn't look great now that the rubber line "flares" out from the front forks but it will work. Talk to SkyDoc about replacement stainless lines.

As for the rear caliper I've never looked into it for a rear fitment, I still run my stock 2-pot rear on my '99 Venture.