IGNORED

Motorcycle Ins.

Billet

Welcome to the raped club.

State Farm has been doing that for long time. I talked 4 times with my agent, and allways was a no as an answer. No chance to put the bike on storage on winter and reduce payments (as another insurance does), and almost 700 $ for a VR'84. I went to Progressive for a quote, and for my two bikes (VR'84 and RS'96 the asked 650 with better coverage.).

I didn't tried GEICO yet, but I know a couple of members that have Progressive and no problem when they were involved on accidents.

:080402gudl_prv:

Progressive is what I have for both of my bikes. For my CBR Nationwide would not even insure it. State Farm want $2100 a year.

Progressive was charging me $550 a year for the same coverage. I have since dropped the collision on the CBR but added the RSV. Way cheaper then any other company I have looked at.

Just curious, Does anyone use Geico ins.? State farm is hitting me up for about triple what I would pay @ Geico.

Has anyone actually had a claim with Geico?

Thanks, Gary

Yep, I also have State Farm for all my cars and home... 30years... and the rates are reasonable, but when I called them about adding my first '83VR I got 'electrocuted'.... I won't go into the details, but just say that I felt violated... :) Got on the web, found Progressive, and got an immediate full coverage yearly quote for a tenth of what SF wanted for just Liability for 6 months. Cool!! Then I visited Geico's website and applied for a quote and although I didn't get an immediate reply in a few hours I had a return email with the amount. Again full coverage for the whole year. It beat Pro by about $40 bucks. And the first and second renewal premiums actually went down... Right now I paying $400 bucks a year for complete coverage on 2 my bikes... 83 and 91, and that includes un-insure AND under-insured coverage. I think it's a hell of a deal..... I might also add that the coverage is for 300/100/300.

i went with dairyland geico and progressive were twice as high. i live in fl and use mra insurance phone # is 863 683 4322 good company.

Hey Rooster, is this for full or liability? I'm probably moving to FL in a year and I will need to change insurance if Progressive jacks the rates.

I have Progressive, but I'm wondering if maybe I'm getting ripped off.

I had a 2003 Honda VTX 1800 that they insured for $268 a year - full coverage.

When I traded it for the 2007 RSV, the cost went up to almost $600 a year! When I asked why, they said it was because it was a touring bike. Granted, the VTX was much cheaper than the RSV, but wow!

I haven't taken the time, yet, to investigate other companies.

My home and auto insurance is with Travelers. Fantastic company, by the way. They just don't insure motorcycles.

This is a long running PITA, but shopping can be lucrative. Foremost used to have a big bike policy when I lived in New York, and it was $300 for full coverage on my '84, and then on my '88. I am going to check with Progressive, Foremost, Dairyland, but NOT GEICO. Back in the day (1960's), they refused to insure anyone except Government Employees (Government Employees Insurance Co!!), and accordingly I have never given them a 2nd consideration since then. I am with Progressive now on my Suzuki Burgman, but now that there is another Gen ! in the garage, I need to do my homework again!

Wish us all the luck...we will need it dealing with insurance companies!!!

POLEDAR:confused24::confused24::confused24:

Giving each other rates that we pay is completely irrelevant. Insurance rates are some of the most individualized items on the market. You have to consider age, marital status, driving history, credit rating, state of residence, city of residence, type of residence, prior claim history, on and on. Many companies do not want to cover motorcycles, hence the outrageous rates. Even specialized companies like Progressive will vary the rates 'wildly' from state to state. For instance, they are extremely difficult to beat in Ohio, but they are also based here. So for one person to say 'I pay this much', has nothing to do with what someone else might pay. All we can really do is shop around with the major carriers and see what our individual rates are. Unfortunately for many, it has nothing to do with what anyone else pays.

Progressive always seems like a 'must' to put on the shopping list, as does Geico. I would recommend also checking with any specialty company, like Markel American, based near Milwaukee. (I hear there are a lot of bikers in that area for some reason.:whistling:) In any case, it never hurts to keep looking, but don't expect rates to be static with any company among different riders.

http://www.markelinsuresfun.com/

These guys have always offered me reasonable rates for excellent coverage, very competitive with Progressive for me in Ohio.

I have Markel American and am very pleased with it. The reason being is that 2 yrs. ago I totaled my first 1st. gen and was treated very well to the point of being able to buy my '93 with no out of pocket expenses plus get new helmets, and also got to buy my '91 back. As far as the rates go, the above post is very to the point.

I am pleased with the coverage and the rate, so guess that's all I can say.

Don H.

I have used GIECO for 27 years and only filed 1 claim.

They payed within 4 days and did not raise my rates.

Insuring my 83 in 1985 was 105.00 year full coverage.

Moving from Colorado to MN in 1989 my rates went up 40 bucks.

The rate went down over time and stopped at 73.00 a year

on my 83 with just liability.

I bought the 02 in 06 and my rate for full coverage went up

to a whopping 116.00 a year full coverage and for a dollar

I insured all the accessories for a total of 117.00 a year.

Moving to VEGAS was costly, my motorcycle insurance went up to

237.00 a year.

I figure its not a bad deal because I can actually ride all year long.

There reason for the jump was the amount of bad drivers and

the congestion as well as theft.

I like GIECO and always have checked them against other carriers

and there always lowest for me.

They make me feel all worm and fuzzy when I see what

some other people pay...........................Ron

:bighug:

Ok, I went to progressive. I used to pay 650$ for my VR'84. Now, I'll pay 660$ a year for both my VR'84 & my RS'97. Same coverage, and including Road Assistance that I didn't have before, since I'm AAA premium.

Also, I can take off the Deductible for Comprehensive & Collission on winter, since the bikes are not being used, and that will make it cheaper.

State Farm didn't let me do that in the past....

So, just to let you guys know.

Regards,

:cool10::rotf::cool10::rotf::cool10: (That is what you feel when you get more for you bucks....)

Giving each other rates that we pay is completely irrelevant. Insurance rates are some of the most individualized items on the market. You have to consider age, marital status, driving history, credit rating, state of residence, city of residence, type of residence, prior claim history, on and on. Many companies do not want to cover motorcycles, hence the outrageous rates. Even specialized companies like Progressive will vary the rates 'wildly' from state to state. For instance, they are extremely difficult to beat in Ohio, but they are also based here. So for one person to say 'I pay this much', has nothing to do with what someone else might pay. All we can really do is shop around with the major carriers and see what our individual rates are. Unfortunately for many, it has nothing to do with what anyone else pays.

Progressive always seems like a 'must' to put on the shopping list, as does Geico. I would recommend also checking with any specialty company, like Markel American, based near Milwaukee. (I hear there are a lot of bikers in that area for some reason.:whistling:) In any case, it never hurts to keep looking, but don't expect rates to be static with any company among different riders.

http://www.markelinsuresfun.com/

These guys have always offered me reasonable rates for excellent coverage, very competitive with Progressive for me in Ohio.

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're missing the real point.. The most common theme in all of the posts, is that the authors have found Geico to be the most competitive after shopping around. Regardless of where they live, or what they pay.....

I like TxVenture went with Markel American. They were friendly and efficient. My cost with Geico was almost $700.00 per year. I carry 2X Texas minumum on all counts. Under and uninsured along with lots of small extras. The exact same coverages with Markel Bikeline is $260.00 per year. They were recommended by a lot of people on base here at Fort Sam. As a note, I have my cages and my renter's insurance with Geico!

JB

I like TxVenture went with Markel American. They were friendly and efficient. My cost with Geico was almost $700.00 per year. I carry 2X Texas minumum on all counts. Under and uninsured along with lots of small extras. The exact same coverages with Markel Bikeline is $260.00 per year. They were recommended by a lot of people on base here at Fort Sam. As a note, I have my cages and my renter's insurance with Geico!

JB

A few years back....OK many.... Texas based insurance companies were not controlled very well, and unless things have changed anyone who wanted to start an insurance company could do so with very little in assets to pay claims. Be it life, health, or auto. They just started selling policies and collecting premiums, and if losses became too great they folded without recourse, and the insureds were left holding the bag. A big reason why premiums were less compared to non-Texas based companies. This may have changed over the years, but one of the reasons I shy away from Texas insurance carriers. My 2¢