IGNORED

Dash Flashes with Turn Signal

Hello, need some advice. This morning when I went to work the dash would blink with the turn signal and the MPH needle would go from 0 to 120 until I turned the turn signal off, the headlight would blink along with the passing lamps. Also, the turn signal works but the dash would show the opposite right is left and left is right. . I hope this make sense. Not sure what to do check all connectors lights and disconnected all added accessories even checked the grounds.

Thanks in advance

Hello, need some advice. This morning when I went to work the dash would blink with the turn signal and the MPH needle would go from 0 to 120 until I turned the turn signal off, the headlight would blink along with the passing lamps. Also, the turn signal works but the dash would show the opposite right is left and left is right. . I hope this make sense. Not sure what to do check all connectors lights and disconnected all added accessories even checked the grounds.

Thanks in advance

I think the flashing of headlight and the passing lights are due to voltage drop caused by the root problem and not likely a real symptom. What I find most telling is the left dash indicator flashing with the right signal and the speedo going crazy.

I have a theory... but it's only a theory...

There is a common link between the flashers, speedo, speed sensor, igniter, radio and cruise. It is the white wire (green arrow) coming from the flasher relay. I do not yet understand it's purpose but it sure looks like a malfunction on that circuit could create a plethora of problems that the correlation would be difficult to recognize.

Look at the attached screenshots and PDFs I have attached. I have highlighted and placed colored arrows on both the screenshots and the PDFs. You may have to "Save" the PDFs in order to view them.

Probably the best way to troubleshoot this is to simply plug in new components which you probably don't have. So the next best thing is probably to unplug the Hazard Relay and bypass it by jumpering the Br wire to the Br/R wire.

The Br wire (red arrow) going into he Hazard Relay is the power for the signals it originates at the fuse.

The Br/R wire (blue arrow) comes from the Hazard Relay and supplies power to the Flasher Relay.

This will bypass the Hazard Flasher and route power to the Flasher Relay.

If the root problem is somehow caused by the hazard flasher or within this area isolating it may stop the problem. If it does then you know what to do.

If not then it still could be related to that white wire.

Like I said... "It's a theory"

Simplified flasher.PNG

Wiring Diagram flasher screenshot.PNG

Flasher Highlighted 99-09 Yamaha Royal Star Venture Simplified Circuit Diagram .pdf

Flasher highlighted 99-09 Yamaha Royal Star Venture Wiring Diagram .pdf

How many grounding points and locations on a 2nd gens?

Looking at the wiring diagram it appears that there are only 2 ground points. They are:

1. The big negative cable that attaches to the engine. This is the starter negative and doesn't really come into play here.
  2. The other wire that connects to the battery negative which is likely a 12 awg. This is also the frame ground. All other oem system grounds connect to this black wire not the big cable. I doubt the frame ground point itself would cause your issue but if you can locate it go ahead and clean it. I do not know where it is on the 2Gen but you can look in the manual under "Cable Routing" Pg 2-38. This cable routing diagram shows 2 "Ground Bolts" items 3 and 5. It shows the locations on the diagram. I am attaching a screenshot.

cable routing ground points.jpg

Edited by yamagrl

I am still guessing a bad ground. While there are only 2 frame connections at the engine and at the frame ground, there are many black ground wires that are spliced together all over the bike. If any one of those splices has been damaged, or corroded then you will get all kinds of weird and seemingly unrelated interactions.

Electricity will always try to find a path back to the battery. It can go through many weird places to find that path.

Whenever you have a bunch of circuits suddenly interacting it is almost always a ground issue. Finding it can be a PITA.

The biggest clue is that the right turn signal flashes when the left is on. the power is going thru the other bulb to find a way to ground, all of the circuits on that ground leg are needing more power than the indicator bulb so the bulb lights, but the resistance of the bulb is to high to allow all of those other circuits to fully function and that is why the speedo and other things stop working when the turn signal is on.

With the bike off.

Set your meter to ohms.

Connect the black lead to the battery negative terminal.

Using the red lead start pulling connectors that have a black wire in them and checking the resistance of the ground circuit, it should be close to zero ohms.

The other way to run a similar test.

Set meter to volts, or use a test light.

With the bike on but not running. (it can be running but stays cool when not running)

Connect the black to the negative battery terminal.

Check all of the ground wires in all of the connectors you can get to easily.

If you find one ground that shows voltage or lights the test light, your bad ground connection is in between that point and the battery. All you can do is keep narrowing it down till you find the bad one.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160926/afd99cab50677c14da07add21f486845.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160926/725bab62a8a1064649dae7c2b0dfcfb3.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160926/6d5f5a9c13396a9a0b25a817b1e06375.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160926/1c157157c61eb714b61ab159955f6c2b.jpg

These are ground points I have pictures of, may help some I hope. There is another in the fairing and may be in the lowers too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk