IGNORED

Grrrrrr Something Is Just Not Right

I blew another fuse on my passing lamps this morning on the way to work. Had this happen a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what is going on. I pulled the faring and could not find a problem the last time. Guess I will pull it again on Saturday (suppose to Rain).

Any Ideas?

I've got a couple of questions. Did you pull a new circut from the battery and put a relay in to energize the lights? If you did what were the sizes of the wire, fuse and relay?:think:

If you didn't run a new circut, which circut did you use to power the lights? There are a lot of variables to this problem. If the wiring or fuse are too light this could contribute to the problem. The wire insulation could be nicked in the tubing going to the lights and going to ground when you hit a bump.

When I put mine on I ran a 12 ga. wire from the battery with a 20 amp fuse. I used a 30 amp light relay to energise the lights, using power to energize the relay from the low beam circut.

As always we demand more and more information.:whistling:

As far as I know, they were on the bike from the factory. I bought it used and I thought all Ventures came with the lights. But that being said, I know for a fact they do not run to the Battery and they are fused in the lower faring on the right side.

I'm going to look at all of it, because I know there must be a problem with the turn signal because one of them flashes too fast. I don't know if this is symtomatic of the problem or an additional issue.

Here is how I connected my passing lamps and haven't had any problems. From the Yamaha instructions I used the on at all times option, ran a 12ga circuit from the battery with a 20a inline fuse under the seat to a relay. The switch is a lighted rocker switch from autozone mounted on the underside of the fairing next to the 12v accessory plug. Hope this helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/gunnybutch/PassingLightInst.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/gunnybutch/WiringDiagram.jpg

Check where the wires come out of the bar between the passing lamp and the turn signal. That spot is notorious for slicing through the wires and shorting out. I had an intermittent problem that took a full day to find. It kept blowing the fuse when it rained and I found that the wire had been sliced at an angle and when it got wet it was able to short out. This happened several times to me even after I fixed the initial problem so I ended up running a wire external of the light bar, so far no more problems.

Pulled the faring and checked all the wires. I could not find a ground or any problem. Pulled the fuses and they were all good. It appears that one of the bulbs was bad. I replaced them both. Turned the switch and they came on. I just don't know. Kinda scratching my head. Starting to wonder if I have a bad switch. If this happens again I'm going to rewire everything and put in a new switch.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Everette