IGNORED

ION Speed Pro

djh3

Any one using the Ion Sped Pro? I'm kind of drawn to thin one over their other version because it has a jack for remote mic. I looked originally at their S3000 model I think. Basic decent cameras. but when I went to looking at some videos made on them on bikes they were terribly noisy with the built in mic. I have found the Speed Pro for $60 new. I like that it is water proof without buying a plastic box to put it in like Go Pro.

Any one using the Ion Sped Pro? I'm kind of drawn to thin one over their other version because it has a jack for remote mic. I looked originally at their S3000 model I think. Basic decent cameras. but when I went to looking at some videos made on them on bikes they were terribly noisy with the built in mic. I have found the Speed Pro for $60 new. I like that it is water proof without buying a plastic box to put it in like Go Pro.

I don't know about that one.....the 180 degree field of view would be hard for me to take. That's fisheye lens territory and must distort the images horribly....yikes! There's only so much correction a little camera can do for that kind of wide angle lens...

Other than that, I like the rest of it.....

david

Update:

Just viewed the video. Of the shots taken from the car, some were so wide that the horizon was bending...both horizontal and vertical distortion. The interior car shots were quite acceptable...I was impressed. The rest of the footage looks like it was shot with other cams....

Edited by videoarizona

Pretty jittery but I think its mount and Canadian roads.

At 55 seconds in to video...as the bike crosses into the intersection, the lines on the crosswalk and the overhead lines "bend" as the bike goes past them. This is the distortion I'm talking about. Anything straight in a horizontal or vertical plane will bend as you go by it due to the wide angle lens. It drives me nuts, but that's probably because I made a career making pretty pictures and can't stand errors! My bad! Even my own "home movies" make me cringe. Being retired, you would think I would get over that! Sigh...

The feature set and camera quality do seem quite good for the price. Better value than GoPro for sure...

david

Made an offer on one @ $49 and was accepted. LOL I dunno what the heck I'm going to do with it. but it looks like fun to film rides. plan on figuring it out and taking it on our trip to NC in Oct. I ordered 3 32gb cards that supposedly will last about 2 hours ea. They allow me 10gb of some kind of cloud space somewhere. If there was a way to transfer straight to a portable hdd i would take ours along. Not planning on taking a lap top.

Have. Ot read a bunch, but have got that info other places too. 720 seems to be fine, most say actually if do 1080 if actually makes it more grainy and looks out of focus. Thanks for the info. One of my issues is trying to store videos while on our trip next month. I did buy 3 32gb cards, but thats lik 8hr or something. They give you 10gb of cloud space, but dont figure thats going to do much for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I started off looking at dash cameras & the Sena Tube Cam. (@ around $150) I Googled, read reviews etc the Air Pro seemed better value & also cheaper so I ordered an Air Pro Lite with WiFi Pod. Paid Cd$65 (about $50 US) on Amazon.ca but I have seen them advertised for around $39US!!!!!

It took forever to arrive, almost 3 weeks so haven't had chance to try it out. Testers mentioned that barrel distortion is noticeable due to the wide angle lens. . Not really sure why I want or need one but I thought for $65 why not. Make a few ride videos, (but they can be a bit boring).

One thing make sure to get the right micro SD card. It only supports SD & SDHC up to 32Gb. I got one from the Source 16Gb for Cd$10. Others were silly prices!

Like I said haven't used it yet but seems pretty well made (metal? case) & is waterproof.

Also I understand stills can be taken with this camera simply by pressing a button, that wasn't available on the Sena (afaik), The Air pro can also be set up via a smart phone, eg settings, view, etc (but you can't record while viewing) the Sena couldn't & framing was hit & miss, you never know exactly where the camera was pointed. PITA if you take it off the bike/ helmet & have to "experiment" every time you re-mount it.

Edited by Kretz

KRETZ, I got the Speed Pro. Kind of like the Air Pro with up grades I guess. I can connect to phone, aim and away we go. I like you didnt have a specific need, but for $80 what the hey. My camera came with a big suction cup mount. I mount it on the front fairing and tried it. So far I like that point best.

>.

Ooops! My bad. Mine only came with a speed mount, & a looks like a helmet clip. I like your video. I'd been looking at dash cameras (the way some people drive up here it's probably a good idea) & that's when I saw the Air Pro so I thought that may be more useful being waterproof & all.

Could you maybe mount your camera behind the screen to cut down on the wind noise?

The sound is just horrible no matter where. That was something else I researched. The Speed Pro has an external mic plug (2.5mm) So I have a 3.5mm computer mic I was fooling with for a project I didnt use. So I stopped by Radio Shack today and got a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter. If I mount a mic either in my helmet I could narrate or just tape it or something by the speaker for radio sound. That was my first video I ever put together. I now have an edit program and sound editor so I could actually mute the sound of the wind.