IGNORED

fuel lock?

GFRicky

On my way back from Asheville my bike quit running. On the side of the highway now....I tied to figure out what happened. I had 3 bars on the gauge and had switched to reserve when she started to sputter.

I first wanted to know if the was fuel flow. I took off the fuel line at the petcock and a few drops came out and then nothing. Very odd since I wasn't on reserve when I started issues. Switched to full on and nothing. I put the line back on. Could I possibly be out of fuel? I opened the tank cap and it was like taking the lid off a mason jar. Tried to starter, she fires up and away I go never to have it happen again.

Questions are....is this an isolated event? I believe I have a vent tube issue, can I simply blow air in the end to clear it out? I don't know if it runs through ant filter or anything.

Suggestions?

It is a common issue with the 2nd gens to get a plugged vent line causing fuel starvation.

The woosh when you opened the cap is the big giveaway. It is known for various insects to crawl up in the vent hose and plug it up.

If you do not clear the vent hose it WILL happen again, and again......................

YUP!! That "should" be the issue Ricky!! Just pull off your ignition cover and look for the rubber hose that is clamped onto the little nipple coming off the top front of the tank, on the right side if memory serves me right! Just remove the little clamp with your fingers and remove the rubber hose! What is happening is as the fuel is emptying from the gas tank, if the vent is clogged (little insects LOVE to build nests inside the hose) then no air can get into the tank to replace the volume of fuel removed from the tank, resulting in a vacuum that will try to suck the gas upwards into the tank so none can get out!! The fact that you said the gas tank would not come off easy pretty much confirms this! You should have heard a whoosh sound as air got sucked into the tank once the cap broke the seal.

Betcha after you removed the gas cap the fuel started flowing again...

PS We have made arrangements for a GF meal for you for the Saturday BBQ!

Thanks guys. That was my thought too. Just didn't have time to look at it. I'll just take the hose off and give her a little blast of air to clean it out. I wasn't sure if the vent hose ran into a filter or some other thing Yamaha thought we needed.

If I'm not mistaken, there iS a anti-rollover check valve that prevents gas from running out of the vent line if you drop the bike. Don't remember exactly where it is but you should be able to follow the tube and find it. Unless I'm thinking about another bike but I'm almost sure that it has one. If that is the case, you probably won't be able to blow air through it from the top.