IGNORED

10 hp Chrysler outboard questions?

Trader

This is the motor I have.

It fires up well, but then dies.

I have attached pics of the only number I can find but boats.net doesn't recognize it as a valid serial number

in case you can't read it it is L640244

My first bet would be fuel filter...but I can't find one!

do these motors have a fuel pump?

Can anyone direct me to an online manual?

The only other number I can find is on the head. #492

It will run for about 20 seconds then die.

The primer squeeze bulb remains full so I don't think it is sucking air

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Trader

Do you know the year model? Depending on the year model, it looks like it will be something like 102HA, 102HB and etc. Here is a page that shows model number for years 1974 - 1978. Yes, they do have fuel pumps. Use one of the model number listed and go back to boat.net. You can at least see parts diagrams and see where it is located.

http://www.maxrules.com/ChryslerModels/9p9_15.html

I do not have a Chrysler 10 H.P outboard but I have had a few old motors in my time.

This is what I would do and have done many times with older engines.

It looks as though it has the original plugs in it. Change them.

If the fuel line and bulb is old. Change them. They gum up and wear out. If the bulb is old cut it in half and look at all the rubber that has decayed inside. All that goop will be inside your fuel line and also the filter. The filter should be right where your gas line hooks up to the motor. Clean it out or replace it. After those changes.

Start with fresh gas and it should be Premium. Put an over dose of SeaFoam in the gas. If you have been running regular in it. It has probably destroyed the carb. You will have to rebuild it. The kit will come with stuff you don't need but use it anyway.

I use to buy old motors at garage sales. Usually 5 H.P. I would get them running and put them on my 12ft alum. boat with another engine that I did not want to sell. I would put a "For Sale" sign on the one and use it to go around the lake looking for a boat without a motor. I have sold them right on the lake before to someone that needed a motor.

I had a lot of fun doing that for a few years.

Good luck and hope you can find parts.

I believe there will be a model/serial tag on it somewhere. They are often on the main casting (the one above the transmission) near the steering pivot. I've also seen some engines have the tag on the transom mount in various places - including near the tilt lock lever.

Just looked at your pictures again. Isn't that the tag peeking out from behind the lower plug boot in your 2nd picture?

You know...I did everything but stand on my head looking for that tag!

Hiding in plain sight!!!

Yep,, it will have a fuel pump,, if I were a bettin man I would put my money on it having a small vacuum operated fuel pump mounted somewhere under its cover.. I have worked on a couple that actually used the same fuel pump idea as a lot of the early sleds did, i.e. = remember the Tillitson Carbs that had the fuel pump built into them? Should be able to find the pump by following the fuel system under the cover.. Usually, not always, but more times than not it will be a cracked or holed diaphram in the pump.. Some were rebuildable and some were not..

Could also easily be a gummed up carb = 2 stroke mix goes south REALLY fast as the gas evaps and the oil is left to gum up.. I personally really like where TJ was headed in his suggestion to go right thru the system - especially if it has been sitting unused for a good while.. If it has been sitting for a long time, is something that you plan on using regularly and will fire up consistently on a squeezed bulb or a shot of mix into the carbs (showing it probably has good rings/cylinders = good compression) a really good tune up with all new lines, carb jets - float needles, diaphrams, plugs, points if its that old, squeeze in some new lower unit lube and a new water pump impeller in the little feller will probably produce a motor that will bring many many years of great service.... Had a customer who had me do all that on his really neat little Merc 10 horse - minus the impeller.. Didnt even get 1 month into the season - motor ran perfect but after the crumbly impeller rubber finally let go and they were on their way back thru the channel in their sailboat (night time - couldnt see the squirt and no breeze) the last mile with a ruined/seized neat little Merc made the trip to the slip take over 4 hours to accomplished..

Also,, thinking I remember replacing a fuel pump on a Chrysler like that one time,,, thinking it was located on the back of the power head, under the cover of course and about in the center.. If I recall correctly - it was totally exposed and a fairly simple/straight forward swap..

Come on Puc....many many more years of service? Did you not notice? It's a CHRYSLER. :whistling:

Yea but you gotta know its not the same Chrysler Motors Don... Kind of like those really cool little Harley's from days gone by - built by Amarachi, sold by Harley = run forever and not leak a drop of oil :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::rasberry:

LOL...whatever you say. Hey...I've owned THREE Harley Sprints. Two 250's and a 350. I actually love those little things and bought my first one when I was 15 years old but I have to tell you....I pushed that thing many miles.

OH..and I've owned ONE Chrysler boat motor. I think it was a 120 HP. NO NO NO....NEVER AGAIN.

The plugs were wet and "gunky" .

Hows that for a description?!:hurts:

I'll change the plugs of course but is that carb adjustment or just the result of too much low speed trolling?

I wiped off the plugs and finally got it to stay running....but would fouled plugs allow it to start and run but then quit after 10-20 seconds?

just doesn't seem logical to me

Trader,

Look at the fuel filter. If it is black chances are you have gas lines and the filter plugged with the rubber from the bulb.

Been there done that before. Just look at the filter. It will tell the story. If it is clear then it is probably the carb. PUT SEAFOAM IN IT if the filter is clear.

Yeah, plugs could do that. If there is unburned fuel sitting on the piston, when the motor fires and the RPM rises, it would throw the fuel onto the plugs and drown them. Then they'd dry out and you could restart it and it would foul itself again. Pull the plugs and take an air hose and blow out the cylinders.

Frank

I used to have a 10hp Chrysler hanging on the back of my Chrysler 22 sailboat. Ran like a champ, so don't know much about them internally. One thing I did find was that Chrysler bought out Scott Atwater, and continued with the same technology from the 50's and 60's. So the design has been around for a long time. The last OB's were produced in 1984. When Lee Iococa went to congress with hat in hand for a loan one of the stipulations was that Chrysler divest itself from any loosing divisions. Chrysler was one of them. All of the tooling was sold off to other manufactures or scrapped. Due to old designs the OB's were no longer produced... by anyone...

I don't believe your history is quite correct.

As I understand it the outboard business was acquired by U.S. Marine in 1984. Depending on which account you believe U.S. Marine continued to market them under the Chrysler brand or renamed the brand Force. At some point Mercury Marine purchased the line from U.S. Marine (calling them Force) as a low end engine. Mercury began evolving the line to share Mercury parts.

My 1994 40hp Force outboard seems to have a Mercury power head (but with a single carb) and a mostly Chrysler gear case. A Friend has a '97 Force 40 which seems to be just like a Mercury except for the single carb and labels.

I don't think you'll find a 1985 Chrysler OB... True Mercury took on the tooling and produced the Force OB, and originally they fell into three catagories. Those that were broken, those that were repaired, and those that were about to break. The proformance record for the Force brand was not good. But... we're talking about Chrysler OB's and I'd like to see a 1985...that was built in '85....