IGNORED

Frying a Fuse and other wierd things

2003 california RSV 42,000 miles owned 4 yrs

So as we pulled into the garage after a 4 day trip, my headlight goes out. saw it go. So, went and got new one and fought to get it in, saw that the green low beam wire was bare in a small section and liquid electric taped and then electric taped it. Good to go. Not. no light. so check fuse box. FUSE MELTED in Box Poof, wow, so pulled out pieces and scraped/cleaned out rest popped in new fuse and IT works. SO , should I be worried about this or is that normal.

Secondly, I was washing and waxing after the fuse issue and I happened to take the lower cowlings off, just to give them a good cleaning. The single inside bolt that goes into the cowling, goes into a nut on the cowling that is held their by a rubber gromit that has separated. Any idea as to what I should do the next time I go to take this off because fighting and cursing for an hour over a piece of ABS is not my idea of fun.

Thanks again for all your brilliant ideas and thoughts.

A fuse that has its rated current flowing thru it will get warm, sometimes they get warm enough to melt either the fuse or the fuse holder. A poor contact between the fuse and fuse holder can also generate enough heat to melt plastic. Since you had a bare spot on the wire it is also possible that it was getting short momentary shorts to ground but not long enough or with a good enough connection to blow the fuse. I would put in a new fuse but keep a close eye on it for a while. Any more signs of heat and you need to spend some time figuring out what is going on.