IGNORED

Engine knock after oil change

Hi folks. I have just performed my 3rd ever oil change, and followed the directions, ect. After completion, I started up the bike to let it run then check where the oil level was. Well, after starting it, I noticed a knocking noise coming from the engine. I shut it off and checked the oil level, which looked fine. Tried starting it again and the knock is still there. Have I messed something up, or will this go away when the oil circulates fully?

Thanks

Dale.

Try loosening the oil filter to see if oil runs out if it does retighten and start. If no oil runs out do not restart. If oil is present in filter only let idle for a minute too see if knock persist. If there wasn't a knock before you changed oil there shouldn't be one after changing oil.

How long did you let it run? It takes a while for the filter and lines to fill with oil.

I only let it in for less than a minute, as the knocking concerned me. I will try it again in the morning to see if it is still there. If so, I will try wild bill's suggestion.

Dale.

What exact oil and filter did you use?

it came as a kit from my local dealership. Comes with 4 liters of oil, 20w50, and the Yamaha filter. I checked it this morning and I think the noise is gone. I will continue to monitor.

Dale.

OK hopefully so! It may have been just because the oil filter was dry. It is a good practice to never install an oil filter dry and empty. Now granted you can't fill the filter and then try to install it horizontally but you CAN put some oil in it and spin it around sideways some and keep adding oil until you get to the point where it will start to pour out when on it's side...

We are assuming that your dealer sold you motorcycle oil, the weight was correct!