IGNORED

Ride position

I was able to finally get to take the new to 89 out, and I know I am out shape but wow really uncomfortable, i am use to my Harley the controls were more forward then the 89, I even have the floor boards and heel toe shift and talk about a real act to get my feet on the pedals so too speak. so I slide up on the passenger seat and what a difference. so am I the only 1, I did find a link to Rick Butler seat guy but is this really going to help

No, probably not. He does a great job on the seat. He relieves it in the tailbone area so that you don't have the pressure points. It does not change the riding position however. Some people love the "feet under" position that the first gen puts you in. Others of us never liked it and prefer the feet forward position of the second gen.

Yep,,, right there with Don - some do/some don't.. I am one of those who LOVE the way the 1st Gens sit!! Other than a Santee Softride Chop with an 18 over Springer and a set of 4 bend pullbacks - 1st Gens are the most comfortable long hour scoots I have ever ridden - bar none.. One of the HUGE things I have never cared for about the modern day forward control scoots is that you cant get up on the pegs when ya need to, plus the added variety of being able to move my feet from crash bar mounted pegs to mid pegs to passenger pegs makes it possible to stay in the saddle for sun up till sun down ride days for my beat up old back..

I also LOVE the adjustable bars on the 1st Gens.. I run mine full back and full down so I can lean back and enjoy the ride. Bella, you might try ditching the boards, going back to pegs and playing around with the bar settings - you may find that repositioning the bars will really effect the sitting position your struggling with.. Also, if you havent got a back rest on your scoot, might try sticking a sleeping bag behind you to lean on..

As far as riding up on the passenger seat - oh yea - climb up there - lock the throttle - lean back and enjoy the scenery :thumbsup:

Mcol, I have the same problem with factory peg position on the 87'. Picked up a set of Kuryakyn long horn offsets and that did the trick. Being fairly tall, I find the pegs full forward position on the bars as the most comfortable on long hauls. (Not so much when the temps drop into the 30/40's)

20160703_092408 640.jpg

I've never looked at it but aren't the foot controls adjustable too? Might need to move them forward if so.

The MKI foot pegs are adjustable front to rear by about 3 inches. They will bolt right up to a MKII.

I don't think laziness has any thing to do with it. For most folks the factory setting is fine, but there are extreme cases..count me in..where it's a big help. And.... a lot of MKI owners don't even know they adjust....

The MKI foot pegs are adjustable front to rear by about 3 inches. They will bolt right up to a MKII.
Do the MkI pegs split the difference with the MkII position? So 1.5 inches forward and 1.5 inches behind approximately? I would assume so but are the foot controls also movable with the pegs?

Do the MkI pegs split the difference with the MkII position? So 1.5 inches forward and 1.5 inches behind approximately? I would assume so but are the foot controls also movable with the pegs?

I don't know. Never really thought about it..... The shift, like all of them is stationary it's just the peg that moves fore and aft....

Actually you guys, the shifter and rear brake pedal are attached to the foot peg assembly and follow the adjustment of the pegs. The rear pegs are adjustable too! Mom Yam put a lot of thought into making the MK1's the most awesome long distance touring bike EVER:thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon: - IMHO of course:stirthepot:!!

DSCN2995.JPG

DSCN2992.JPG

Well I can tell you, you are not the only one. I moved my '83 foot controls 18 inches forward - a comfortable position for me. I built the custom linkages which were necessary. I have two bikes with forward controls - I guess that I don't enjoy being crunched up.

zag

Do you have any pics of the kuryakn that you have

Mcol, I have the same problem with factory peg position on the 87'. Picked up a set of Kuryakyn long horn offsets and that did the trick. Being fairly tall, I find the pegs full forward position on the bars as the most comfortable on long hauls. (Not so much when the temps drop into the 30/40's)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106033[/ATTACH]

I would like to see what you made

Well I can tell you, you are not the only one. I moved my '83 foot controls 18 inches forward - a comfortable position for me. I built the custom linkages which were necessary. I have two bikes with forward controls - I guess that I don't enjoy being crunched up.

zag

Do you have any pics of the kuryakn that you have

The pic posted (not the best) is the left side. We (wife) had all kind of seating issues initially. The long horns which added about 18" forward legroom took care of the issues (for this old dude). Wife who is 6' uses the drivers pegs during long tours and keeps her happy. I had 2 1/2" extensions welded to drivers pegs to extend them outward for her. Sounds like a lot of hassle,but it works for us on long hauls.. We'll wait for Yamaha to build a comfortable 2017 venture for 2 over 6' lol.

Yep,,, right there with Don - some do/some don't.. I am one of those who LOVE the way the 1st Gens sit!! Other than a Santee Softride Chop with an 18 over Springer and a set of 4 bend pullbacks - 1st Gens are the most comfortable long hour scoots I have ever ridden - bar none.. One of the HUGE things I have never cared for about the modern day forward control scoots is that you cant get up on the pegs when ya need to, plus the added variety of being able to move my feet from crash bar mounted pegs to mid pegs to passenger pegs makes it possible to stay in the saddle for sun up till sun down ride days for my beat up old back..

I also LOVE the adjustable bars on the 1st Gens.. I run mine full back and full down so I can lean back and enjoy the ride. Bella, you might try ditching the boards, going back to pegs and playing around with the bar settings - you may find that repositioning the bars will really effect the sitting position your struggling with.. Also, if you havent got a back rest on your scoot, might try sticking a sleeping bag behind you to lean on..

As far as riding up on the passenger seat - oh yea - climb up there - lock the throttle - lean back and enjoy the scenery :thumbsup:

I agree totally. Big Red has Longhorns and I also use the rear pegs as well as various combinations in order to shift my weight slightly to the right or left.