IGNORED

No RPM....AGAIN!!!!

Daddy0

Hi,

info is so helpful

Yes the tach drops. The engine keeps running but has little to know throttle. Can you tell me where the tci is located? And what I need to do to get to it. If anyone has a pic of what it looks like it would really help. And to clarify...I can use one from 84 and up correct?

Any I

Here ya go Dad,, just stepped out into the garage and snapped a couple shots for ya.. The TCI is located directly under the battery box - my finger is pointing to the connectors.. Remove the cover over the battery/air box (lift your tank cap cover, remove small screw holding cover on - slide cover forward a little and lift it off). pull the side covers so you can access the clamps holding the airbox on to the carbs, loosen clamps and lift air box off carbs - you can now see clearly what I am pointing at.. I gotta hunch you should be able to slip the connectors out of the TCI.. If it were me and I was replacing it anyway, I would just leave the old TCI in place and remount the new one top side like you have been advised - looks doable from what I can see - like already mentioned, looks like lots of harness there to work with...

DSCN2904.JPG

DSCN2903.JPG

DSCN2902.JPG

DSCN2901.JPG

DSCN2900.JPG

Yeah my brain was slipping a cog again. Air Box gives easy access to plugs. And they can be pulled from there. Get all slack out of harness and put new one on top of Air Box. If you have a problem getting tank cover back on you can cut one of the ears from the TCI to give more room for the tank cover. If you are pulling it, it gets a lot more fun!!!

Yeah my brain was slipping a cog again. Air Box gives easy access to plugs. And they can be pulled from there. Get all slack out of harness and put new one on top of Air Box. If you have a problem getting tank cover back on you can cut one of the ears from the TCI to give more room for the tank cover. If you are pulling it, it gets a lot more fun!!!

Its a wonder either one of us have a working brain at this time in the morning brother :big-grin-emoticon:

I got this stupid adrenal glad disorder thingy going on - wide awake and then CRASH.. Stinks getting old... One thing after another I tell ya....

I cheated when I went to get mine out for drying, diodes, and relocation.

Since so many people have said that you need to cut the ears off the TCI, AND the PO had already buggered up the screws by trying to use the wrong size screwdriver, I simply reached down from above with a corse tooth hacksaw blade, and cut the ears off in place. My TCI is now safely located in the left side of the fairing where it is out of the way, fairly accessible, and most important, dry. The mounting ears are still in their stock locations where I still can not get to them.

As a note to anyone reading this that might actually want to remove the TCI without cutting, the correct screwdriver bit is a #3 JIS. Your #2 Phillips will just strip out the screw head.

One does not have to remove the upper fairings or the battery or the battery box or the coil pack rack to remove the TCI.

I have removed and relocated the TCI on all three of my Ventures.

Remove the side covers.

Remove the top cover.

Remove the triangular "chromed" pieces that attach to the radiator cover. Optional.

Remove the lower fairings. Optional.

Remove the air box.

Use a #3 Phillips or #3 JIS hex screwdriver insert, one inch long. Place the screwdriver insert into a ¼" socket. Run a length of electrical tape around the socket and insert to keep the insert from falling out. Use a shorty ratchet with the socket.

Easy peasey.

#3 Phillips insert.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer

Yah! The ONLY downside of leaving it there is the additional weight of the second TCI. Betcha you loose 0.00000000000000000058326% hp...

Did you know that 87.39% of all statistics are made up?

RELOCATE!!!!!!.....its just so worth it.

Wow, is all I can say right now! I'm fighting the same fight with my '84. I was able to get it running with a loner TCI, so I cleaned the contacts on my old one. I used electrical contact cleaner and dental tools, which I got from the Hygienist on my last visit. The tabs were nice and shiny clean so I reinstalled the TCI, actually putting it on the air box, and Nothing. So I plugged in the loner TCI and again Nothing. This is the point I'm at now. I figure I've done something wrong in reassembly. I have to get this fixed by the end of the month as I'm prepping for the KTK meet.

Has anyone mentioned cold solder joints on the Tci connection contacts? Loose contact points on connector pins or high resistance on wires. Clean connections are fine but if your getting high resistance through the connection points the weak point can be something other then the connection contact surfaces.

I was thinking of all sorts of things, I even thought of giving it the electronics wizards at work to rebuild, but cleaning the contacts is the easiest, cheapest, and now I see it the First place to start. As long as everything is hooked up properly it should work. If not then it's time to dig deeper. I have the loner as a spare for the trip, no I have to put everything back together. So DaddyO, my suggestion clean the contacts and go from there. Good luck!