IGNORED

Tire Pressure after half hour of riding.

Cougar

Since I have my Zumo 595 running with the Garmin tire monitors

I am showing after about a half hour of riding that my front tire

( on the trike) that I keep at 40 lbs when I fill it. ( commander 2 rear up front)

will run all the way up to 49 to 50 lbs . maybe I should reduce

it to like 36 lbs ?

what do you think? :-)

The rear car tires seem to only go up about 5-lbs diff.

I'd leave it at 40# cold. The tire's manufacturer has measure how much the pressure will rise when they suggested the cold pressure. If you lower the pressure, the tire will get hotter, and that's not good.

I don't know if that is normal or not. Is the weather hot? Is the roadway very hot? If they are not then the heat build up may be due to tire squirm, the internal parts of the tire working against each other. Normal or not? I don't know. Rear tire on front. Perhaps. Still don't know. Will higher or lower initial air pressure reduce this fluctuation? Still don't know but I would probably try a slightly higher initial setting over a lower one. You might also send a note to Michelin and see if they have any reaction.

This is a very interesting thread. So if you do find out what is going on please post back.

Mike

So how does anybody know how high there tire pressure is with out a monitor.

now I wish I didn't know LOL but I am most certain most of using a bike

tire is climbing that high, the temp that day was about 78 out.

and on interstate 80 .

I ran across this on the Michelin site.

4. Check inflation pressures on both tires at least once a month, before riding, when tires are cold (at ambient temperature). Riding even for a short distance causes tires to heat up and air pressure to increase. DO NOT BLEED AIR FROM HOT TIRES.

Mike

Take pressure cold. Inflate to recommended tire pressure on tire... Not in bikes manual. Put valve cap on and forget until next check. Bike tires carry less volume than car tires with higher pressure than most cars. Not surprised they get hotter too. But that is designed in.

I run with a lot less pressure on my trike Jeff, and the ride feels more comfortable and a bit more secure especially on the twisties. I run about 32 on the front and about 28 on the rear. Because trikes are not lean machines any more you don't need your sidewalls as stiff as on a 2 wheeler...

"Inflate to recommended tire pressure on tire... Not in bikes manual."

Why? Isn't the pressure on the tire simply the maximum recommended?

zag

Perhaps but here is the thing. Are you still running the exact same tires that came on the bike?

Mike

"Inflate to recommended tire pressure on tire... Not in bikes manual."

Why? Isn't the pressure on the tire simply the maximum recommended?

zag

Increased tire mileage.

Increased mpgs.

Better handling on heavy bikes.

I run within 2 pounds of max on both Ventures and please with ride, etc., regardless of two up or single. Only change i make is rear suspension higher pressure when two up..

Guest Jamsie

after i fixed my rsv`s non firing cylinders, i went for a test ride. the bike was shaking its head in low speed turns, turned out i had 11 psi in front and 14 psi in the rear. pumped them up to 36 front 40 rear and it handles a whole lot better.

the reason that you check pressures when the tyre is cold is that gas wil expand when the tyre warms up. as its a fixed volume that equates to an increase in pressure