IGNORED

Windshields

Guest BluesLover

Guest BluesLover

A buddy shared this with me. Kind of tells a compelling story IMHO.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXwcgSYjws]YouTube - National Cycle Switchblade Windshield[/ame]

Cheers,

Guest BluesLover
Well. What did he share? I see nothing..

does that mean he shared nothing with you?

:confused24: If I left click over the blank space

I see a blue box :) !

Jeff

You don't see a YouTube video pop up?

Cheers,

I See it now Lou.. I was in the

garage on my other computer.. (not sure if I need to download

something for that one maybe)

Just can inside and now I see the U-TUBE

Wow that is wild.. I wonder what our

clearviews are made of? *lol*

Thanks for sharing that..:)

Jeff

Well, next time I go hunting with Dick Chaney, I'll wear tall polycarbonate shirt collars. No doubt the stuff is tougher than acrylic, but in the real world, if someone fires a shotgun at me while I am riding, I'm probably gonna soil my pants and go down out of shear fright anyway.

Goose

Guest BluesLover
Well, next time I go hunting with Dick Chaney, I'll wear tall polycarbonate shirt collars. No doubt the stuff is tougher than acrylic, but in the real world, if someone fires a shotgun at me while I am riding, I'm probably gonna soil my pants and go down out of shear fright anyway.

Goose

I thought the gun and the shotgun was going a wee bit overboard, but what got me was the difference between the two types of shields when the impact was a stone or the rock. Those are more likely situations to be faced with while riding, don't you think/

Cheers,

I by, no means, am an expert but I am a pessimist. I found the video interesting and would love to see a comparison that was not done by a company trying to promote their shields as superior. The one thing that stuck out every time for me, and again I'm a pessimist (hardly trust anyone unless I know them), are the mounts. In the video, on every test, the acrylic shield mount was rigid. It barely moved if at all. Where the poly shield mounts moved a great deal. This would give a far better absorption rate to a blow to the shield than a rigid mount with no give. Just my observation.

I by, no means, am an expert but I am a pessimist. I found the video interesting and would love to see a comparison that was not done by a company trying to promote their shields as superior. The one thing that stuck out every time for me, and again I'm a pessimist (hardly trust anyone unless I know them), are the mounts. In the video, on every test, the acrylic shield mount was rigid. It barely moved if at all. Where the poly shield mounts moved a great deal. This would give a far better absorption rate to a blow to the shield than a rigid mount with no give. Just my observation.

Yup I noticed the difference in movement also.

I had installed a NC sheild on a friends bike a couple of years ago (Honda CM 450), he dropped the bike last year, a chunk broke off on the left side, put a big crack into it too. this was on of their plexistar shields. So not all their windshields are of the same material, depends on the model.

I ordered a XXL w/vent about a month ago. Since they're made about 40 miles from my house, I'll be making a trip to their shop for my shield as soon as it is finished. We'll have a discussion about materials & NC's add. I'll let you know what's up soon. DNB

I ordered a XXL w/vent about a month ago. Since they're made about 40 miles from my house, I'll be making a trip to their shop for my shield as soon as it is finished. We'll have a discussion about materials & NC's add. I'll let you know what's up soon. DNB

Be interested in what you find out. I ordered the same the beginning of this month. They say there's is a High impact "Acrylic Blend".

Couldn't have said it better myself, I treat everthing with a healthy does of skeptisizm. It would be great if it infact was the truth....but I dont plan on being shot at on my bike

:whistling:

You guys !!!!!! Sheeesh do not order the clearview!!!

Once you have installed it on your ride you will

never want any other shield,,,.. I warned you!!

Did I tell you that I loved my clearview?

Jeff

And what shield are you using now? *lol*

Wonder if any shield will help if you were shot

at or hit with a bat from behind? hmmmmmm :whistling:

Is Lonna going to carry a bat with her, to make sure Squid behaves, when riding the scoot????:stirthepot: Guess it could double as a walking stick........:rotf::rotf:

You guys !!!!!! Sheeesh do not order the clearview!!!

Once you have installed it on your ride you will

never want any other shield,,,.. I warned you!!

Did I tell you that I loved my clearview?

Jeff

I rode my brother's 07 RSV with a clearview shield for about 50 miles. I guess it was OK, but I wouldn't want one. Nothing against those who love them, but that does not mean everyone will. Something about the curve of the clearview bothered me. I prefer my stock shield cut down by 1 1/2" and modified with side wings that I can open.

Goose

I sent John, at Clearview, the link to this post and here's what he had to say about the video and their shields.

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the e-mail.

I did see this video before.....it is a little deceiving....we use a

different type of Acrylic. Ours is a blend of materials where it is Impact

Resistant and DOT approved. The Polycarbonate shields are softer and will

flex more, but our shields are tougher than what they are showing.

It is like a lot of things......there are better grades and worse grades of

materials.....we use one of the best grades of Impact Resistant Acrylic

available.

Thanks again for the heads up.

John Lauk

Thanks Gib...

...for taking the lead on this one. I hopefully will be up to see the folks at "Clearview" soon. I'll follow up on your discussion. DNB

Yeah. Wish I could have picked my shield up but with the times they're open and my schedule I just wouldn't be able to get down there. Would have been nice to take the "Nickel tour" as John calls it.