IGNORED

Flat for the first time

gez

Well it happened yesterday, it's the first time I've experienced a flat while out on the road. About 200 miles into my 240 ride home the rear tire went flat. Felt a wobble, let off the gas, wobble increased. I felt it was the rear and applied the front brake quickly coming to a stop on the shoulder from 60 mph. Feeling lucky I didn't go down, I thought no worries, I've got AAA's top coverage including motorcycles. I call them, answer several questions and I'm told help will arrive in 1.5 hours. This is at 5 PM. Several calls later, I'm told help will arrive by 8:45. I got a call directly from the tow guy at 8, he arrived at 8:25. with a tow truck, not a flat bed. Not good, I thought. Out comes a wheel chock and a u channel. They get attached to the boom, the bike was loaded, strapped and away we went. Actually I was impressed.

Bottom line, a free tow to my house valued at about $200 according to the driver. I asked about the wait and I was told that I beat the average, only waiting 3.5 hours. So, I question AAA's service, is it worth it? I could have handled this myself quicker as I was not that far from home. But, it wouldn't have been free and I would have had to call in a few favors.

Ohhhh the joys of being on two tires and having 50% of them decide they dont wanna play no more :missingtooth:!! THANKFULLY :clap2::clap2: you kept her upright and got it stopped without going down Gez - GOOD ON YA BROTHER!!:thumbsup: Also glad to hear you were able to get her back home safely my friend!!:thumbsup:

I have always wondered about the kind of stuff your talking about concerning the tow companies. While not exactly one of my favorite memories of touring cross country on a scoot - I have also experienced flat tires on several occasions and sometimes they have occurred in some pretty remote area's. At times like those I always wonder how long it would take one of those tow companies to come to the rescue if you were lost in the mountains of Montana and had no idea where you were :big-grin-emoticon:

I get the road service offered by the insurance provider, that way I call the tow copay of my choice and get reimbursed. I have not used it for the bike yet but for the cars a few times.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

I get the road service offered by the insurance provider, that way I call the tow copay of my choice and get reimbursed. I have not used it for the bike yet but for the cars a few times.

Sound like a good idea. Should this happen again, I'll give it a try.

I used to use AAA. Years ago I experienced a car problem in west Texas, called them up and they basically told me I was on my own but they would reimburse. Present day I have road side that is included in my insurance coverage (didn't help when I picked up a new to me bike on a Saturday and didn't have it on my insurance when I got a flat), road side that comes with my AMA membership, and some really good road side with my RV coverage (Coach-Net).

The best thing I have for tire issues is Ride on, been using it for years and it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I also have tow service from my insurance provider. I once had to have them tow my motorhome 85 miles off of loveland pass in Colorado. My motorhome? A converted 1975 Greyhond bus. I wont be without towing service!!!

Being in the industry I can tell you that as the years go on, the wait gets longer. Problem with road services is if they don't have a contracted provider in the area they will shop around for the cheaper price which could take as long as a half hour. Now contracted providers could be getting anywhere from $24-$40 for a local tow which is 3-5 miles. A lot of providers are now turning down motorcycles and higher end cars for the liability risk, It's not that they can't do it its just that the quality of drivers aren't there anymore. Towing has become that job that anyone can do with little to no training quickly, seems like the drivers around me do it cause they can't get nothing else. Owners tend to keep the no brainier transport and light service stuff to these guys and have one, maybe 2, highly trained and skilled guys to handle the sensitive or detailed work. I have been doing this for 20 years and I tow for 12 police dept, 14 road service companies, and a large number of private accounts. Over the years I have seen road services cut rates and go with the lowest possible provider they can find. Thus in the end the people waiting on the side of the road wait. It is sad what this industry has become and honestly everyone looses but the road service company. If anyone is interested I could go on and on, just pm me :)

Being in the industry I can tell you that as the years go on, the wait gets longer. Problem with road services is if they don't have a contracted provider in the area they will shop around for the cheaper price which could take as long as a half hour. Now contracted providers could be getting anywhere from $24-$40 for a local tow which is 3-5 miles. A lot of providers are now turning down motorcycles and higher end cars for the liability risk, It's not that they can't do it its just that the quality of drivers aren't there anymore. Towing has become that job that anyone can do with little to no training quickly, seems like the drivers around me do it cause they can't get nothing else. Owners tend to keep the no brainier transport and light service stuff to these guys and have one, maybe 2, highly trained and skilled guys to handle the sensitive or detailed work. I have been doing this for 20 years and I tow for 12 police dept, 14 road service companies, and a large number of private accounts. Over the years I have seen road services cut rates and go with the lowest possible provider they can find. Thus in the end the people waiting on the side of the road wait. It is sad what this industry has become and honestly everyone looses but the road service company. If anyone is interested I could go on and on, just pm me :)

and all my local buddies ask me why I LOVE the center stand on old Tweeks so much... In the crazy wide world of motorcycle touring and touring motorcycle tool kits, that center stand has become my favorite tool!! :big-grin-emoticon:

DSCN3776.JPG

The only time in my life I've needed a tow was on the interstate in GA when a tire shredded. (No AAA or anything else) I called the HP and got a number for a local tow co. They came and got me in less than an hour and just so happened to have a tire the right size at their garage/tire store/convenient store/tow service. I was on my way quicker than I thought. I had bought my 95 Mark VIII Lincoln used about 2 1/2 yrs old from the Lincoln dealer and it did not have the correct size spare. Bolt hole diameter didn't fit. Sounds to me that you might be better off to just skip the insurance especially with today's smart phones that give you access to the internet.

Something I always wondered about was that when I was stranded, a very attractive woman stopped and asked if she could help!!!!! I happened to be on the phone with my wife at the time..........?

Something I always wondered about was that when I was stranded, a very attractive woman stopped and asked if she could help!!!!! I happened to be on the phone with my wife at the time..........?

It could've been your luckey day! But you'll never know now. :bang head: