IGNORED

1998 Honda Shadow Spirit neglected

brummers

A buddy has a 98 Honda Shadow Spirit with about 60K on it. Complaining about no power at 70mph or so. He had already come to the conclusion that he needed new clutch plates and bought the kit.

I rode the bike from his apartment to my house, suspension felt squirrely, but the clutch seemed to be working fine. Put the front wheel up against the back wall of the garage and slowly let out the clutch in 1st gear. Engine bogged down and stalled just as it should. Checked out the bike and found:

1. Mufflers were dangling off the headers, the mounting bracket had broken. The header heat shields were literally holding them on somehow.

2. both tires were about 10 psi

3. other various loose parts.

I got it fixed up (and changed the clutch plates). He was happy with the performance. Amazing what 40psi in the tires will do!

A few days later I get a call, he is about an hour away and the bike overheated. It has cooled down, it cranks, but won't start.

Back in the garage, i found he checked the coolant level at the radiator fill after the overheating event. While doing this he knocked off a wire from the front cylinder coil. Now it can run.

Drained the coolant and it was pure rust. The thermostat worked fine and I flushed out the system. I dont know how it ran as long as it did with the cooling system like it was!

IMG_0871.jpgIMG_0922.jpgIMG_0910.jpgIMG_0920.jpg

It does amaze me how many people seem to live by the rule, "If you turn the key and it starts, your good to go!"

They never check fluid levels, tire pressure or ware, check or service filters, adjust or tighten loose or worn parts and brakes.....you mean they ware out?! They walk and drive among us.......:yikes:

Somehow they do know you have to put gas in it.

EWE,,, thats nasty Brum!! I just betcha somebody refilled with cooling system with tap water during the life of the scoot and forgot about it.. Fortunately that didnt happen up here in @FlyingFool country or that puppy would froze solid and taken out a bunch of expensive parts and pieces..

Good on ya for helping out your buddy!!:thumbsup:

It does amaze me how many people seem to live by the rule, "If you turn the key and it starts, your good to go!"

They never check fluid levels, tire pressure or ware, check or service filters, adjust or tighten loose or worn parts and brakes.....you mean they ware out?! They walk and drive among us.......:yikes:

Somehow they do know you have to put gas in it.

The worst offender of this in my riding group is a Fire Fighter/Paramedic who formerly was a large diesel mechanic. The old adage of "A mechanic never has a running car" is always in my head.