IGNORED

Honda ST1300

SilvrT

I had an St1100.It was an amazing bike.The 1300 has more torque and horsepower than a 1100.Great riding position, great handling and extremely fast. St1300s have their own sound too.It is something to investigate.

I wanted one for a few years but the seat is just too tall for me. I test drove one. They are said to be awesome sport touring machines. The engine is very reliable. It is very much like an upgraded ST1100 that was made for several years. Many Long Distance riders swear by them. Many LE departments use them here and in other countries. Of course some still use Harleys so that may not mean much. HA

There are a couple of ST 1300 forums.

Well, just so happens I bought one last spring. A 2003 with ABS. It is a very fun bike. 200 lbs less than the 04 Venture I have also. It is great for a adrenalin rush for sure.

It will pull the front wheel off the ground without really trying. I still take the Venture on long hauls. It does get hot from the engine. It bothers some and not others. You will love the windshield adjustment for sure.

Edited by T.J.

Great bike! Typical Honda! That one is priced rather high seems to me. The only negative thing I've read about them is that with bags and trunk they get very unstable at about 115 mph!!

Can't say one way or 'tother if the price is too high as I haven't really looked at others... just saw that one and thought it looked pretty good plus he's done several extras to it. OTOH, this is Canada and prices are all over the map and generally higher than what can be found south of the border.

Problem for me with a bike like that is I'd probably run it beyond 115 LOL!

Well, just so happens I bought one last spring. A 2003 with ABS. It is a very fun bike. 200 lbs less than the 04 Venture I have also. It is great for a adrenalin rush for sure.

It will pull the front wheel off the ground without really trying. I still take the Venture on long hauls. It does get hot from the engine. It brothers some and not others. You will love the windshield adjustment for sure.

Awe man,, @T.J. is just being modest,,,, lets sit back and hear some more of his insight..

:big-grin-emoticon:

And then there is one I thought I had but I cant find,,,,,,,,,, hey Teej,,, tell about the Mirrors,,, COOLEST THING I EVER DID SEE!!!! Ya just gotta tell em about the Mirrors Teej!!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Great bike! Typical Honda! That one is priced rather high seems to me. The only negative thing I've read about them is that with bags and trunk they get very unstable at about 115 mph!!
I have run mine up to 140 mph and had no problems at all. Really did not notice anything.

Well, as you can see by The Puc'sters" video that the seat has 3 or more height adjustments. Can't remember how many. I sent my seat to Rick in Texas this winter to do his magic on the seat. Have not had the opportunity to go on a long ride with it yet but I am sure it will be better.

As far as the mirror's go as Puc was saying. They just snap right off with a smack with the palm of your hand and are then held on by a tether so they won't hit the ground. In case some one runs into the mirror in a parking lot with there body or what ever they don't brake. That would be a good trick to play on someone that just got an ST and didn't know they did that. Smack both of them off and see the look on his or her face.:think: when they come out.

The price did seem high on that one you were looking at Silver. He does have many options on it for sure. Does not look like stock exhaust to me. If your willing to pay for something you like than so be it, but I would shop and compare.

The side bags and trunk come off so easy you won't believe it. Real easy. The seating for my wife as a passenger is not comfortable at all, but she is use to the Venture. The ABS brakes are great on mine. You can't believe the difference it makes so if you are to shop around, try one that has ABS. Insurance is cheaper also.

I hope you have fun in shopping for a new to you bike.

Edited by T.J.

The seating for my wife as a passenger is not comfortable at all, but she is use to the Venture. The ABS brakes are great on mine.

I hope you have fun in shopping for a new to you bike.

The issue about the seating for the wife could be a problem for sure.

Had ABS on our Wing as well as on the Vic now and I've had a couple instances where it saved my bacon ... once was on the wing pulling our Leesur-Lite tent trailer doing about 60mph

We're at the stage in our life (more so me than Nina) where riding seems to be taking it's toll on the old body, eyes, mind, etc. Riding all day is getting to be too much and riding every weekend when the weather is nice is taking away from other activities we want to do. So, we're going to sell the Vic after the Kruis'n the Kootenays rally beginning of July. The Roadie is already for sale although if it doesn't sell by then, maybe we'll just keep it. Need something for occasional short day rides. Selling the Vic will allow us to pay off our mortgage earlier than planned and this ties in with Nina wanting to retire sooner than originally planned.

I've never ridden a bike like the ST1300 but have wanted to for a few years. Not even sure at this stage if I will like it. That said, I do plan to get some test rides in before I pull any pins.

If we do decide to purchase such a bike as that, I'll definitely be shopping around for the best deal. Maybe the exchange rate will be much better and I can get something south of the border at a much better price ... HA! Good luck with that idea! LOL

I have run mine up to 140 mph and had no problems at all. Really did not notice anything.

There is a lot of discussion on the internet about this subject. I found this article that says Honda makes sure the bikes don't have the weave any more.

http://canadamotoguide.com/2012/11/16/interview-dave-hancock-head-of-product-planning-and-business-development-honda-motor-europe/

I might add another note on the ST1300. It really handles well on back roads, gravel and the likes. I am not afraid to take the Venture on gravel but the ST handles extremely well and I don't worry about hurting it.

Okay, now you got me looking at ST1300s. It would be nice to have a fuel injected engine and that famous Honda smoothness. And there is a dealer in town that also handles Suzuki. That's it other than the Harley dealer and they never did appeal to me other than I like the sound. From what I've read, there appears to be minimal problems with ST1300s. I also did some research on the BMW R1150RT and 1200RT. I think I would like the seating position better on them but they are fugly and the reliability is not as good as the Honda. Parts and dealer charges are also noticeably higher. :stirthepot::sign67:

I took a ride on the ST today. A lot of back road riding "gravel" and then I decided to go to my hunting grounds out in Leonard Mi. I normally take my 4 wheel drive truck down this big hill, on down into the woods and up another hill into open fields. This past winter I had to make two try's to make it up the first hill. It had been raining and was slippery. Still had it in 4 wheel drive. Gives you an idea maybe, on how steep the hill was.

So anyway, I set there looking off into the trail down the big hill ahead of me as I set on the ST. Thought to myself. Why not. You will never know unless you try it. What could happen? Down the big hill I went. No problem. Down the lane and into the woods making a sharp left and up the hill into the field. This hill is steep and had to give it some gas and started a little fish tailing up the hill and into the field I went. So far so good. Went ahead drove to the end of the field where it turns back into woods and turned around in the field and headed back.

Got to the straight away heading up to the big hill where I had got stuck with the truck and just stayed in 2nd gear and up the hill I went. Mind you this is all grass and not much dirt and ruts from my truck that I stayed out of. Sounds like a ride on the DRZ-400 I use to have but with the ST1300 600 lb. bike a completely different ride.

Thought to myself. With the right tires on this bike you could go anywhere. Street tires are just a little to slick.

For street riding I will tell you this bike will take the corners effortlessly. Still with all this said and done. I keep that Venture for the long hauls. Different style rides altogether. I could have never ridden the Venture where I took the ST today. Never would have even thought about it.

One of my riding buds here has a ST1300 and loves it. He rode it to California and back 2 years ago and did a couple of WVa trips with me as well. I am sure he has at least 75K miles on it and still loves it. He is kind of short legged and small framed but has no problem at all handling it.

He he is a hard core rider, and as of yesterday has already ridden 67 days this calendar year.

The he sound of the bike is somewhat different in stock form. I would liken it to the flying car that George Jetson had. Very unique.

before I bought my FJR, I looked at a few STs and just liked the deal on the FJR better. And now, after almost 2 years on the FJR, I have come to the conclusion that a lighter bike that tours well is a better fit for me as well. As a result, my Venture is on the block.

the one in the ad is a bit speedy, but those bikes are great performers and stone reliable.