IGNORED

Anyone going to Star Days?

DblTrbl

Anyone planning on going to Star Days in Cincinnati, OH July 18-22? It's the 20th Anniversary of Star Touring and Riding.

I'm trying to decide if I want to attend Star Days or Stop in Davis WV for the Venture gathering on my way home from Maggie Valley (trike talk gathering) in Sept.....

Active STAR rider here. Attending STAR Days. Been to several over the last 10 years.

Not sure WHY it is in Sharonville (north Cincy) OH. Doesn't seem to be a bike friendly area (stopped there coming back from last years Longmont CO).

But the ride coordinators say they have some good stuff planned.

Mike Griswold (Mike G in SC)

I don't think you have to go far North-West from Sharonville to get into some nice riding. Great stuff East but a bit farther. One of the nice things there is you're right on the 275 loop which can quickly get you out of the city.

While you're there don't miss Skyline Chili and Graeters Ice Cream. Those alone are worth the trip!

Is "Star Days" anything like the "Wing Fling" thing I have heard about down south? Never went to the Wing Fling but heard that the "factory" put it on, provided bikes to test drive and all that.. Had a buddy that did it a couple times and had a BALL!!

Is "Star Days" anything like the "Wing Fling" thing I have heard about down south? Never went to the Wing Fling but heard that the "factory" put it on, provided bikes to test drive and all that.. Had a buddy that did it a couple times and had a BALL!!

Puc, Star Days is the National gathering for Star Touring and Riding. They were the 1st official riding group sponsored by Yamaha. I have been a memeber since 99 with the exception of a couple years I had not wheels. It started out with a small group from AZ and quickly grew to international. It's a "family" motorcycle group with the major focus on safety and family fun. They welcome anyone with any type of bike to the group no just Star owners.

I was a member of The Inland Empire chapter #109 for 5 years and served as a Tail Gunner. Still a memeber of ST&R but not a specific chapter... check them out at Startouring.org

This is weird, I live in Cincinnati. I guess we will have to look in to Star Days. We have always wanted to go to it, so this must be our chance.

Yama Mama

That would be nice since you would know some nice rides. I've been undecided about this location since it's so close to the city. Is it worth the trip? My nephew lives in New Albany which I believe is about 100 miles norheast of there.....at least I could stop by for a visit.

Being a national meet sponsor in past(Austin Healey Club of America), some of the reasons I chose Sharonville are:

Access to roads ....I-275, I-75, and I-71 are just minutes away

A very good size convention center to handle an event of this size

Lots of accommodations at every price point within a mile

A nice water park for the kids

Kings Island

A variety of really good places to eat(Donald Healey loved the crepes at one of them)

Tons of great riding roads to the east, west, and south.

There are many places to ride in the area. We usually go to Kentucky, or Indiana. We do not like to ride in the city either, however the country roads are not very far from where the Star Days will be. We will more than likely not attend the event, we are not members. However, if possible we would like to see the bikes in the parking lot. We always enjoy looking at other Yamaha's. Any rides along the Ohio river are nice. Many good roads to ride in all directions from Sharonville. Of course, if you are interested in amusement parks, Kings Island is very close by. I am sure the people planning Star Days have planned some really good rides.

Yama Mama

I would say it is worth the trip. Heading in any direction from Sharonville, you can find many nice country roads with many hills. Especially, Kentucky and along the Ohio River, either east or west. We especially love to ride in south western Indiana.

Yama Mama

Yama Mama, you don't need to be member to attend. You however would need to register and sign the "event" waiver. If you wanted to attend any of the dinners you would need to pay for the registration package...at least that is what I gathered from reading the FAQ on the Star Days site.

I'm leaning towards heading that way. I was in KY in Feb and was thinking how nice those roads would be on a trike in the summer or fall......

Puc, Star Days is the National gathering for Star Touring and Riding. They were the 1st official riding group sponsored by Yamaha. I have been a memeber since 99 with the exception of a couple years I had not wheels. It started out with a small group from AZ and quickly grew to international. It's a "family" motorcycle group with the major focus on safety and family fun. They welcome anyone with any type of bike to the group no just Star owners.

I was a member of The Inland Empire chapter #109 for 5 years and served as a Tail Gunner. Still a memeber of ST&R but not a specific chapter... check them out at Startouring.org

Got it Trbl - thanks.:happy34: After I read a little about them it dawned on me, I bumped into a number of those Star riders out in Oregon a couple years ago.. Fun bunch of varmints. One of them was a VIP with the organization, like a Chapter President or something.. Thinking it was her who had one of the prettiest Roadies I have ever seen - she had that puppy alllll dolled up!! Thinking that crazy @LoneEagle invited a few of em to attend the Rally to protect himself from getting picked on or to help him find his way to The Dalles...

Yea,, that would be a BLAST to head to Cinci just to see all the bikes and make a few more new friends.. Good thread Trbl, thanks for the info!:beer:

Ya know, it's only about an 8 hr or so ride for me, just might consider it!! Doubt Becky will come with me for this however, it's getting to be too much of a ride for her...

Bob, I was thinking about two long (fun) days of riding to get there but on the way back, I was thinking of a full days ride to Olean, NY and spend the night. Next moring head to Spragues for breakfast and then up to Letchworth State Park to show my friend. From there will ride about 150 - 200 miles and spend a night. Next day will be an easy 240 miles home before going to work that night at midnight...

Edited by DblTrbl

Darn Dennis, I just noticed the dates, and we are going to the Ontario Regional M&E, but I think we will be home when you are in Olean! We don't leave for Ontario until the 21st. So, let us know and we will try to meet up with you at Spragues! Who knows, a bunch of us might show up, Spragues Maple Farms is a great place to go!!

They would probably throw me out being I aint a Yamaha rider no more. LOL I have been looking for a summer ride to do. I am of work from June 17th till middle of August I think.

you don't need to ride a Yamaha to ride with Star!! Hell, we even let HDs go with us (as long as they have a chase vehicle to haul them home).......

check out Startouring.org

This is weird, I live in Cincinnati. I guess we will have to look in to Star Days. We have always wanted to go to it, so this must be our chance.

Yama Mama

Yama Mama I grew up in the Greenhills/Forest Park area. When I first heard Sharronville, I figured Star Days would be in Sharron Woods. Nice park but access might have been an issue. You had to have a park sticker on your car/bike to use the roads. Much has changed in the 40 odd years I've been away but the ride up US 22 to Washington Courthouse was a great ride. You could also take a trip up through Hamilton and Oxford to Houston Lake.

Yama Mama I grew up in the Greenhills/Forest Park area. When I first heard Sharronville, I figured Star Days would be in Sharron Woods. Nice park but access might have been an issue. You had to have a park sticker on your car/bike to use the roads. Much has changed in the 40 odd years I've been away but the ride up US 22 to Washington Courthouse was a great ride. You could also take a trip up through Hamilton and Oxford to Houston Lake.

We actually live very close to Greenhills. That is a nice ride on US 22 and US 3 also. We go to Lancaster that way which is also a nice ride. On the edge of the Hocking Hills which is Ohio's little secret paradise.Hocking Hills 012.jpg Yama Mama

In 2007 33 members of our Star chapter came from Ft. Lauderdale to Chattanooga TN. Chapter 297. The area was nice, people friendly, Hotel was so so. But you would think, after all these clubs raised all this money for the event. that the lead organizers would show a little more respect for the clubs that worked their butts off. we sat in a large room for dinner, the organizers praised there OWN work, and said nothing about the clubs. Oh, and we got spaghetti dinners. but paid for Chicken dinners. (we were told they ran out) We even yelled out, what about the most raised monies by clubs. ( I can assure you it was not us, we didn't known about raising monies ). the morning before, we met on a street that was blocked off for us. boxes were taking out of a truck, handed to us, and we were told to tie them down on our bikes. we were then paraded thru the streets, bearing gifts, only to reload them on the truck at a church. 5 cars were show boated into the parking lot. and some food was handed out. ( WHAT BULL **** !!!!!). The wife and I left the location and found other things to do and see. what a joke.

Gee, you had a really bad experience. Ron and I are not members of the STAR group, so I do not have any thing to say about it. But I do know that some of our members here are members of STAR too. Ron and I probably will only ride over to the event to see what is going on. It was funny, two days ago we were at a Yamaha/Honda dealer in town, and he had no idea the STAR Days was in Cincinnati, this year. I had to fill him in.

Yama Mama

Star.jpg

I can't vouch for what they do at the National Rally since I have not been to one. When I first joined Star in 1999 it was only a couple years old and growing fast. A few years after that, Yamaha Corp got involved and named Star Touring and Riding as the only Yamaha recognized riding group sponsored by Yamaha Corp. AT this time, though I'm a member of Star, I do not belong to a local chapter so I have no idea what they do for fund raising other then what I read.

I'm hoping to meet some of the folks I use to ride with when I was a member in CA. If I'm not liking the way things are going, I will venture out on my own or even leave the area early and take the long way hone and see many miles of back roads as well as a few stops to visit former military friends and high school classmates. I will make the best of the trip.