IGNORED

Battery Talk

sho_greg

Why don't we talk about Batteries... Curious to know what kind of luck everyone has had- and what kind...

Not sure how many battery manufacturers there are for Motorcycle Batteries, but in the car market there are only about 3... Johnson Controls, Exide, and my mind went blank..

I'm kinda guessing that Johnson Controls makes Motorcycle batteries for Walmart..

I am having good luck with a Lightning Start battery right now.. Had it checked the other day and it still has 350 or 450 CCAs.. It is rated at 500CCAs. Its lasted about 15 months so far.

I have a wal mart battery in my G-Wing now and have had it for 2.5 to 3 years now with no problems at all, but I don't know the actual name brand off the top of my head without going out to the garage and looking at it. The GW doesn't give one much warning (if any) when the battery goes bad. I rode to work one day and when I came out to go home the bike would not start. Dead!.. Had to call the wife to come and get me and the closest place to me (in no-where Iuka, MS.), to get a battery was Wal-Mart.

My wing had an Odyssey battery in it when I bought it.

:twing:

AGM Type Dry Cell. Only get ones made in U.S. ( do not buy them that are made in China ! )

Harley is using them now. Cost more, but worth the extra money

My 2008 RSTD, bought new in 2012, came with an AGM DryCell.

Forget the Wet Lead Acids, old type battery if you are going to buy a new one !!!

See: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Edited by GeorgeS

I get 6 or 7 years out of a good old Yuasa.

The AGMs to seem to crank the bike a bit faster, But my old school Yuasa still gets it started. I tried an AGM battery and while it did crank a bit faster, it died after just 14 months.

I do not remove my battery in the winter, it sits in the bike out in the cold. I was told that is what killed my AGM, good old flooded battery don't seem to care about the cold or being parked for 4 to 6 months of the year. Last year my bike sat for 11 months due to health issues, 2 year old Yuasa cranked it right up no fuss no muss.