IGNORED

needle jet

Guest Jamsie

removed pilot jet, main jet and main jet holder.

Which way does the needle jet come out , dont want to force it the wrong way and damage anything

Needle jet comes out with the slide.

Generally when I'm working on a carburetor I tackle it in this order:

1) Idle mixture screw

2) Diaphragm and slide (I generally leave the needle in the slide)

3) Float bowl cover

4) Float, float needle and jets

5) Starter plunger

6) Air cut off valve

slide and needle is removed , main jet , pilot jet , main jet holder is removed .

WHICH WAY DO I PUSH THE NEEDLE JET OUT FROM ( NOT FLOAT NEEDLE VALVE)

cos no matter which way i push its jammed to needs to be knocked out with a soft drift and i dont want to damage anything

slide and needle is removed , main jet , pilot jet , main jet holder is removed .

WHICH WAY DO I PUSH THE NEEDLE JET OUT FROM ( NOT FLOAT NEEDLE VALVE)

cos no matter which way i push its jammed to needs to be knocked out with a soft drift and i dont want to damage anything

Jamsie,, are we talking about the needle (aka Metering Rod) hanging from the slide that has the diaphram attached to it?

I'm sorry, you're asking about the needle jet rather than the jet needle. I'm not sure you can. It may be permanently pressed into the body.

I've got a set of 2nd gen carbs on my bench at the shop. I'll have a look Monday if you haven't got a satisfactory answer.

Jamsie,, are we talking about the needle (aka Metering Rod) hanging from the slide that has the diaphram attached to it?

no i am reffering to the needle jet that the needle attached to the diaphram goes into .

as the main jets are different sizes on 2nd gen i am cleaning them 1 carb at a time so that my old eyes dont mix them up

i will post before and after pics if i get good results from my ultrasonic cleaner .

just a small cleaner which wont take a full set of carbs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103533[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103534[/ATTACH]Here are a couple of poor quality pics. first shows main jet and main jet holder removed. as you can see the needle jet is closed at 1 end and tapers. i assume there are fine holes in the side. second picture shows 2 pilot jets 1 of which has been in the ultrasonic cleaner . doesnt show as much difference in the picture as it does when i look at them

Opps, no piscture for me.

That jet presses in place and can be cleaned where it is. The carb body has a hole for the needle, but the jet determines the size of the hole. I don't think you would want to remove it, nor do I see a reason for you to do so. It can't be blocked, but could use a cleaning maybe. The size of the opening created by the jet with the needle inserted is probably the least of your worries, I would guess it should be close but not super critical.

did you click the links . as there is no through hole in the needle jet , there must be small holes drilled in the side . i would like to be able to clean these holes to get max flow of fuel and correct carburation

Ok, I just had a look at the carbs on my bench.

The needle jet is not in your pictures. The jet itself is ahead of the float pivot. I took a picture that I'll post when I get home later.

The emulsion tube is center left in your first picture, main jet holder screws around it. The holes in there are what need to be clean. Have to clean them in place - it's pressed in. If you spray carburetor cleaner in through the air jet it'll come out the holes in that tube - then follow with compressed air. That's all you need.

• 7 years later...

Can someone please help me identify these components in this carb?  Does the Red Square cover the Pilot Gas Screw?  Or is it under the Blue Pentagon?  What is the the brass piece identified in the Green Triangle?  It appears to aligned with the needle jet, which is what I think I want to remove, but is may be pressed in.  Finally, is the emulsion tube identified within the Purple Star?  Can it come out to clean it?

Carb Parts.png