Guest Bigin

Crown of the road will wear the left side slightly more, all things being equal.

In this case, you must be in a foreign country, and riding on the wrong side of the road, switch sides, you'll be fine.

Serously, got me on that one.

Would think you could feel if alignment was that much out, don't know, have to think about that, never seen that before.

Hmmm - if the tyre's wearing badly are you sure that you want to keep it on the bike ? There's an outside chance that it's a freak tyre and you'll never have to worry again.

If you feel that there's something badly wrong with the geometry, why are you still riding it. If you feel that there's nothing wrong, double check everything that you've checked already (including the frame - some early ones broke/rotted away - can anyone say where) and if there's nout wrong change the tyre.

If the bike feels wrong, but you can't find anything and need to get to work, be very very careful, but wouldn't it be safer on good tyres ??

I'm presuming that the last tyre wore normally and the back tyre has even wear.

If you live where you ride on the right side of the road then the left side of the front tire will ware faster, not because of crown but because you travel more miles in left turns than in right turns and because the radius of the left turn is greater than the right you travel at higher speed causing more ware.

Could be brakes. Bikes with only one caliper wear one side more than another bleed your brakes and see if there is any air in side not worn.:080402gudl_prv:

Hmm, can't say that I've noticed that, although I've had some bikes with pretty flexible front ends over the years. Left disc on the '84 is the linked brake, right only for the handlebar. I presume that you use both. (I junked the standard system ages ago.)

As to left and right turns, unless you turn several circles while you are out, there will be no difference in mileage - whereas the turn one way will seem longer, it will be a less acute turn - will be closer to a straight line. A turn the other way will seem shorter, but will be more acute - more of a bend and more strain on the tyres (and you'll lean further). It evens out.

I still say that he needs to check for problems - this isn't normal - and make sure his tyres are safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just noticed today for the first time that my front wheel looks like it is in the forks crooked. I have room for a finger and a bit under front of the fender on the left side of the bike but on the right side of the tire it barely clears the fender toward the back of the tire.

Is there an adjustment for this. or is there something wrong with the bike. Ive only had the bike just over a month but havnt notices any strange tire wear and it doesnt feel spooky on the road. (but I am not sure what this bike sposed to feel like on the road either, as this is my first VR)

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

PS actually what started this was looking at the bike to see what brace I had before I placed the order with Condor so this is all his fault, lol!

Might it be that one fork is higher up in the triple tree than the other... wouldn't take much at all to cause the front tire to be at a bit of an angle... one wouldn't think this possible because the axle itself should keep the tire in alignment but maybe not.

well, it's a thought....

Ive just noticed today for the first time that my front wheel looks like it is in the forks crooked. I have room for a finger and a bit under front of the fender on the left side of the bike but on the right side of the tire it barely clears the fender toward the back of the tire.

Is there an adjustment for this. or is there something wrong with the bike. Ive only had the bike just over a month but havnt notices any strange tire wear and it doesnt feel spooky on the road. (but I am not sure what this bike sposed to feel like on the road either, as this is my first VR)

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

PS actually what started this was looking at the bike to see what brace I had before I placed the order with Condor so this is all his fault, lol!

After looking at it again today and taking some straight edges and bubble levels outside I have come to the conclusion that its just the plastic fender that has warped over the years. It appears the fender has developed a slight twist to make the back of the fender almost touch the tire. that is a bit of a relief i can deal with that issue a lot easier that trying to figure out why a wheel isnt running true.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

After looking at it again today and taking some straight edges and bubble levels outside I have come to the conclusion that its just the plastic fender that has warped over the years. It appears the fender has developed a slight twist to make the back of the fender almost touch the tire. that is a bit of a relief i can deal with that issue a lot easier that trying to figure out why a wheel isnt running true.

A classic example of " K.I.S.S. " .... here we all were... lookin for the worst scenario...

:rotf:

Guest Bigin

Originally Posted by friesman1 viewpost.gif

I'm sooo confused. So the tire is not wearing on one side more than the other?

If it is how about a pic so we can start this all over again?

Might it be that one fork is higher up in the triple tree than the other... wouldn't take much at all to cause the front tire to be at a bit of an angle... one wouldn't think this possible because the axle itself should keep the tire in alignment but maybe not.

well, it's a thought....

nice try, rick, but no cigar.

forks are NOT adjustable on first gens.

they have to remain at factory settings, or you cannot tighten the clamps down.

just jt

just jt

no Cigar??.... awwwwww ok... how about a joint then? LOL

:rotf: :rotf:

Guest Bigin

Originally Posted by hipshot viewpost.gif

just jt

After reading this post, has me wondering if it is possible to have moved your forks up or down and not have them tightened properly.

Can you elaborate on this please.