IGNORED

Headlight / Reserve Lighting Unit?

I've been searching and reading up on this, but still have questions.

My bike is new-to-me. I've gotten it running well and I'm starting to enjoy it. The headlight seems to be pretty bright, I hadn't noticed any problems. Switching hi/lo changes where the light goes, but both seem decently bright.

I have a white indicator light that comes on next to the blue Hi-Beam indicator. I had assumed maybe this was just an indicator to let you know the light is working (since hi/lo both seem to), but from what I've read it sounds like that should only be on if there is a burnt out filament and the RLU is operating to make it function like a normal hi/lo.

1. First step to check current bulb filaments?

2. Swap bulb to a new one to see what happens (H4 bulbs right)?

There isn't any flashing red light, just the white one and the LCD headlight shape on dash.

I do not remember if the headlight out gives the red warning or not. The white headlight indicator is to tell you that you have a headlight filament that is burnt out as is the indicator on the LCD.

Couple of thoughts.

It is possible that the PO installed a different type of headlight as in LED or HID or even possibly a lower wattage. The RLU and the LCD each sense current to each filament to decide if the bulb is out. a different bulb could be drawing less current and the system thinks the bulb is out.

First thing to do is to pull the bulb and check it out.

Yes the stock bulb is an H4.

I've been searching and reading up on this, but still have questions.

My bike is new-to-me. I've gotten it running well and I'm starting to enjoy it. The headlight seems to be pretty bright, I hadn't noticed any problems. Switching hi/lo changes where the light goes, but both seem decently bright.

I have a white indicator light that comes on next to the blue Hi-Beam indicator. I had assumed maybe this was just an indicator to let you know the light is working (since hi/lo both seem to), but from what I've read it sounds like that should only be on if there is a burnt out filament and the RLU is operating to make it function like a normal hi/lo.

1. First step to check current bulb filaments?

2. Swap bulb to a new one to see what happens (H4 bulbs right)?

There isn't any flashing red light, just the white one and the LCD headlight shape on dash.

Just went through the same thing, it turnd out the bulb connector melted pretty bad. I changed the connector and all was good sylvania ultra star bulb. Two weeks later I decided to put in the HID kit I had for awhile. Now dealing with that.

I do not remember if the headlight out gives the red warning or not. The white headlight indicator is to tell you that you have a headlight filament that is burnt out as is the indicator on the LCD.

First thing to do is to pull the bulb and check it out.

Yes the stock bulb is an H4.

If the icon on the CMS for the headlight also illuminates then you'll get the flashing red light.

Just got off the bike from my commute to the office. Hi/Lo beam are both functioning normally and changing beam angle so I'm assuming both filaments are working. The white RLU indicator stays on when using either hi/lo. I'll pull it apart to inspect soon, sounds like there might be a connection problem.

The headlight icon is also showing up on my CMS, but the red blinking light (comes on with low fuel) is not flashing. I have the battery icon on my CMS at the moment because I installed a sealed AGM with no opening for battery probe. Eventually, I'll do the resistor modification to knock that out.

Thanks for the info and suggestions, much appreciated. I'll post up what I find when I check the headlight.

If I remember correctly, the red light will only blink for a minute or so. Then it goes steady on.

It doesn't give any indication about the problem causing it. It's just a notice to look at the CMS display. If you're already tripping the light with the battery sensor it won't give you any additional information.

If I remember correctly, the red light will only blink for a minute or so. Then it goes steady on.

It doesn't give any indication about the problem causing it. It's just a notice to look at the CMS display. If you're already tripping the light with the battery sensor it won't give you any additional information.

The red light will flash again if another fault is detected and an icon illuminates.

• 1 month later...

Reading this thread with interest.....

I'm having a similar issue, my headlight seems to work fine...hi and lo....and the white light ALWAYS stays illuminated on the dash? I thought it was there to let me know the system/headlight was on and working. Now I don't get an icon on the computer screen,nor do I get a red light....

The reason the white light bugs me is, when driving at night it is somewhat distracting ever since I changed out all my dash lights to LED. Man are they bright....I've actually gone so far as to put a piece of electrical tape over that light...I'm too lazy to go back into the cluster and switch it out.

I'm not going to be much help/insight in the near future. I pulled my headlight assembly and checked the connector and bulb. Both looked good. Since the light is working, I'm not super concerned about it.

There sure is a rat's nest of stuff behind that headlight! I was not able to lay hands on the RLU, but I didn't put too much time/effort into it. I'm not a fan of the erroneous dash light, but it isn't making me crazy yet either.

I'm happy with the light output I'm getting so I'm just going to ride it for now. Got a set of these for Valentine's Day from the Mrs.

71orZXPGBDL._SX522_.jpg

Look goofy as can be, but my hands weren't cold this morning on the commute and it was 26 deg. F.

Got a set of these for Valentine's Day from the Mrs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103815[/ATTACH]

Look goofy as can be, but my hands weren't cold this morning on the commute and it was 26 deg. F.

I've got a set of those, called Hippo Hands. I've had them for decades, but they don't fit the Venture well.

• 2 weeks later...
The red light will flash again if another fault is detected and an icon illuminates.
Since the battery fault and the headlight fault are both initiated when the bike starts I would expect the red light to flash immediately and then remain on fixed. If another fault is detected the light should start to flash again for a bit.