IGNORED

Bike swaying at speed

83 VR

so I put a new rear tire on, Shinko, now I have a "sway" starting at 65 MPG. But let me be more descriptive.. At 60 and below my ride behaves like its tracking a rail... At about 65, the whole bike feels like the tires move to the right then back. Not violently, but very noticeably. I didn't notice any pulling or pushing of the handlebars. I felt that it was coming from the rear. It was as though I was the point of pivot, so I didn't feel I was moving, but the bike moving left and right under me. My intentions are to:

Torque the head tube

Torque the swingarm

torque the rear axle, probably do this first then test ride

if still no success with these items, I'll probably progressive spring the front forks with new seals and consider upgrading the fork brace.

So, any other ideas of what to look for? All of this happened after replacing the rear tire.

Since it didn't do it before the tire change, I'd lean to looking at anything touched during the tire change, the tire itself and also at tire pressures....

This was exactly my thought..

As you are going to look at the axle nut anyway,while you are there,make sure it is assembled correctly and that the tire isn't coming apart and fully seated on the rim.

Yeah, MAYBE it wasn't assembled or seated properly.. I'm gonna get into this and see what I come up with.

That is not a new problem, it ha been experienced before. Wizard765 and I had that problem a few years ago when we installed Avons. His went away with a tire change, mine stuck it out for a lot longer.

Steering head can be an issue, rear wheel alignment can also have an effect. Other things to look at: tire pressures, fork oil levels, swing arm lubrication and wear, cracked frame, wheel bearings. I did all of those with some improvement, but it never did go away completely,,, until I bought a Spyder, and then I had different issues.

That is not a new problem, it ha been experienced before. Wizard765 and I had that problem a few years ago when we installed Avons. His went away with a tire change, mine stuck it out for a lot longer.

Steering head can be an issue, rear wheel alignment can also have an effect. Other things to look at: tire pressures, fork oil levels, swing arm lubrication and wear, cracked frame, wheel bearings. I did all of those with some improvement, but it never did go away completely,,, until I bought a Spyder, and then I had different issues.

Good List.. I'll be getting on these things.. I'm going to do 1 at a time, test ride, do another. I would really like to determine what caused this. Could be just the tire though.

make sure the rear spacer and washer are installed proper order and the axel is torqued (I don't use a TORQUE WRENCH BUT IT IS CRANKED ON TIGHT), without the pinch bolts.. and then snug the pinchbolts.

Yeah definitely gonna do this. Thanks for responding

I put a Shinko on my 89. Had a bit of a sway, too. Found out if I pump the tire to 42lbs, all is good. Not sure if it was the tire at 38 or not. Just know the higher pressure stopped it for me.

I have 230's on front and rear. Love how well it sticks and handles.

Excellent info.. I'll check a couple quick things, pressure being one of them, and give it a test ride.

I`ve noticed that air pressure makes a huge difference on my 92vr,I run Avon Venoms and really like the tires,I started running 40psi--front and 42psi rear and haven`t had any of the twitchy feeling that I used to get running 32psi front and rear.Also I know that mismatched tires can cause some strange handling.