IGNORED

Looking at buying 04 Venture 50k miles...need input

Lug Nut

I am new to bikes this year and have put 6k miles on my 2002 Roadstar and have done most all the maintenance and mods to it myself. I have done some research and found that the rear shock can leak on RSV bikes. Other than the normal test ride, check brakes shifting etc anything to look at specifically on a 2004 with 50k miles?

Wil it likely need front fork fluid if not allready done? Any issues with the shaft drive? Any bearings that would need replaced/greased at this mileage? How about clutch life on these bikes?

Any input would be appreciated...

Depending on if it has service records to indicate any of this has been done.

It is due for a valve clearance check.

I would plan to change the brake and clutch fluids.

Check the date code on the tires and plan to replace if they are more than 7 years old regardless of remaining tread.

The rear end is due for fluid change and a grease job.

Check the brake pads especially the rear, the rear does not wear even and one of them wears out a lot faster than the other. You can swap inside to outside to get max life out of the pads.

These are the obvious ones I can think of right off the bat in addition to what you mentioned and just general condition stuff.

Great...that is the kind of info I was looking for. Need to figure out how much $ I'll be spending on parts if I want to make it like new. Luckily tires are only 2 years old.

When I I got my Roadstar I changed all fluids and filters...plugs...etc when I first got it (had 10k miles on it).

I would do the same but wasn't familiar with shaft drive and the cooling system, etc. Also it seems like the V twin is a more basic and simple design than the V4....

Great...that is the kind of info I was looking for. Need to figure out how much $ I'll be spending on parts if I want to make it like new. Luckily tires are only 2 years old.

When I I got my Roadstar I changed all fluids and filters...plugs...etc when I first got it (had 10k miles on it).

I would do the same but wasn't familiar with shaft drive and the cooling system, etc. Also it seems like the V twin is a more basic and simple design than the V4....

Good luck on your purchase of the 04 Venture. Next thing is to send Don twelve bucks and join this form and learn even more about your bikes and much more of everything else you either care to know or rather not know. Anyway we are just a bounch of M/C riding junkies with no known cure.:doh:

• 3 months later...

Well I finally found my bike....picking it up in Ohio tomorrow. 2002 RSV Midnigjt with tons of extras and only 14k miles on it...31 pages of receipts from dealership for service and add ons.....perfect shape. Pretty excited to add this to my 200 Roadstar.