IGNORED

Winter Project #1, ferret's escaped - gotta get new ferret's in case car breaks down

cowpuc

Dragged home a little heater that nobody wanted cause it has a problem. Been setting for a while waiting patiently for me to find a round-tuit and pull it apart to see if it was worth repairing. Now that I found the "tuit" motivator thing in the form of cold weather setting in and my good friend over in Wisconsin is anxiously waiting to test out the Snopercharger on his White Wash Machine,, I thought I would check it out..

Discovered that some of the ferrets inside their little tubular cage had escaped causing some interesting problems - basically involving a decreased capacity in the remaining ferrets ability to run and in deciding what direction to run (I think the lead ferret who made all the decisions is one of them that escaped).. I was however able to assist the remaining ferrets in their capacity to run and together,, we actually got the ol heater to fire up!!!

Part three being uploaded as I type...

Sounds like one of these.

http://www.grainger.com/product/TITAN-PRO-Round-Motor-Run-Capacitor-30D627?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/30D613_AS01?$smthumb$

Even your local hardware store or anyplace that sells motors, might have one. Start and run capacitors are pretty common. Odds are that the replacement you find will look different, it is all the numbers that matter. The 7.5µf sometimes written as MFD or micro farads, as long as the tolerance is at the +10 -5% or lower, and the voltage is 370 or higher. The shape does not matter much as long as you can fit it in there. You can use a run capacitor for a start capacitor, BUT you can NOT use a start capacitor as a run capacitor. The reason is that a run capacitor is rated for continuous duty and the start capacitor is for intermittent duty only, The start capacitor will be damaged (like the one you have) if it is powered for more than a few seconds.

The motor should have an RPM rating on it, if you can, check to be sure you are getting close to the rated RPM while running. if the run capacitor is not up to snuff the motor might be running slow causing the start capacitor to be on all the time. It is possible that the motors start winding or switch failed and that took out the start capacitor. Start capacitors are also the most common thing to fail just all by themselves on a motor.

Edited by Flyinfool

Got er fired up and ran her a little to make sure I wasnt tossing my spare change away on a run capacitor and it needing more expensive stuff (see last vid here Jeff). Haven't done anything else with it at this time (simple case of procastination) but intend to pick up a new cap first chance I get.. Thanks for the info though @Flyinfool - should have figured you would want me to be able to :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:with all that :snow: you will be sending soon!!:guitarist 2::happy34:

Flied Lice don't know about no fossil fuels, just gas 'n go. They fill 'er up and give me the fuel slip so I can make sure them Boeing gas gauges are telling the truth. I do know jet fuel is kerosene-based, diesel might be, too.

Your vids are always instructive, informative, inspirational, incomprehensible, some other ins, too!:thumbsup2:

Some times when I read your posts I think about genius, and other times...well less. You do have an inquisitive mind and I relate to that. Replace the diode and be done with it. I have done this on my space heater in the past. Nice to see you getting on and feeling better.

:farmer:

Some times when I read your posts I think about genius, and other times...well less. You do have an inquisitive mind and I relate to that. Replace the diode and be done with it. I have done this on my space heater in the past. Nice to see you getting on and feeling better.

I do love your videos. After reading my reply I felt like I came on too negative, didn't mean to. BTW I can't get my wife to film me doing anything.

Ahhh yes,, that ever ending fine line between genius and being down right crazy:big-grin-emoticon:...

Never ever a problem Sylv, truly my friend - I take all the comments in the spirit of :witch_brew::stickpoke: and even the :doh:'s with a :hihi: on my pretty face:big-grin-emoticon:.. Being an inquisitive type of :stirthepot: does have its ups and downs but the downs have never come from my buddies like yourself reminding me that sometimes I cross into the zone of to much craziness and not enough geniusness :stickpoke:

Glad you guys actually join me in watching the vids though cause being a little crazy is wayyyyy more fun when you have company :cool10: :crackup:

Ahhh yes,, that ever ending fine line between genius and being down right crazy:big-grin-emoticon:...

Glad you guys actually join me in watching the vids though cause being a little crazy is wayyyyy more fun when you have company :cool10: :crackup:

Well there is no shortage of those walking a razor thin line around here.