IGNORED

V Star

10spd

I used to market study Ebay a lot when in business to help determine buy/sell values, the "Blue Book" never seemed to work as it was usually inconsistent with true market values. Pretty simple really, just look the scoot up and see where bids are and check buy it nows and see where they are actually selling at.. To give you an idea here is a year 2000 of the model you are looking at, bike has 10k on it and he has a buy it now at 1750. High bid right now is just under a grand (reserve not met) with 3 days to go (this tells you a lot).. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-V-Star-/141810339307?forcerrptr=true&hash=item21048e0deb:g:rCcAAOSw5ZBWH9tc&item=141810339307

Considering those bikes, like our Ventures, have not changed much (to my knowledge) over the years and judging by looking at the above and others on Ebay for you (real quick market study verses the book, IMHO - 3 grand is high..

Now alllll that said,,,,,, buying from a friend to help em out - buying something with sentimental value - buying a gift for somebody that is exactly what they want and on and on, can be and usually is a game changer..

Best of luck

Puc

We just traded my wife's 2007 Yamaha 650 to a dealer in GA for $2,000. It had 18,000+ miles on it. Windshield, engine bars, no saddlebags. It was clean and had been dropped by previous owner. Knicks on the front brake pedal. Rear turn light crooked.

I just sold my 2001 XVS650 Custom with windscreen. 23,000 miles and well maintained. $1,800.

I bought it in 2013 with 8,500 miles for $2,000 but it needed tires and some TLC.

At $3000, you should be able to find good 1100, maybe a few years older or consider an early 2000's sportster.