IGNORED

shifter issue

The shifter on my 93 Venture has its own mind. I can put it into 1st gear but if I push it just a little too hard it moves to the vertical position. Shifter is tight on the spline and it still shifts fine in all gears but you need the velvet touch going back into 1st or it will push all the way to the vertical. The shifter will return easily enough back to the normal position, a kind of spring loaded return. I was thinking it might be a shifting pin. Any incite on what the issue is much appreciated. I provided 2 pics for your perusal.

033 (Custom).jpg

034 (Custom).jpg

One thing I would try is to raise angle of the shifter clamp a little so that it doesn't latch in the down position. You've got a latching cam setup there where the lever can go forward enough that it catches. If the pedal is too high when you move the clamper then shorten up the linkage. There could be other problems because I don't think the shifter should have that much travel but I think my suggestion would help some.

All opinion,, maybe someone who really knows will chime in!!:301:

Shifting pin maybe but I find it difficult to think the fingers on the arm that engage the pins have enough throw to actually grab another pin to index the drum to the next position if ya got a pin missing.. I am guessing maybe a loose screw on the end of the shift drum (the one that holds the "star" with the pins in it in place. Maybe the "finger" mechanism that connects with the pins is bent from heavy shifting or somehow not engaging the pins correctly.. I was contemplating that maybe the cam follower that holds the drum in place as it is located with the pin/finger engagement could have a fractured arm or broken spring but that usually results in a "will jump gear on its own" syndrome so I doubt that is it..

Alllllll that said,, you will have to pull the clutch cover, dig into it and let us know what you find!! At least it doesnt sound like a case splitter!!:thumbsup:

PS,, dont wait cause waiting and riding it like it is could easily turn it into one!!

All the best in the repair

Puc

On the end of the shaft that comes out of the engine cover, there will be a mark that lines up with the slot where the lever clamps. Make sure the slot and score mark always stays lined up. Once you determine this is not moving, look at the end of the other shift linkage on the back side of the engine cover. They also have a mark on the shaft that lines up with the split where it clamps.

I have a feeling that if you line all the marks and linkage splits up and have all the clamping bolts tight, it will fix your problem.

Randy

Better to do the easy stuff first and the linkage is a good place to start. I'll line it all up and see where it lands me. Riding season is just about done here so if the linkage adjustments don't work it will become a winter project. Just put a furnace in the garage so winter projects are now much more to my liking. Many thanks to all those that replied!

My 85 did that once. It was after I let my 6'4, 250lb nephew take it for a ride. We usually did this every year at our family get-together. Did I say he has a size 14 shoe and a foot to fit it? Well he admitted that he couldn't find first and so jammed the pedal down a bit harder. Don't remember if it helped him at all, but it sure got me confused. He bent the rod that's behind the middle gear cover. I got behind the cover with a crow bar and managed to get it straight again. You might have the same issue and to compound it all, somebody might have adjusted the pedal to compensate. The link behind the cover should be straight, and the pedal should be set according to the mark on the shaft.

Today I went out and aligned the shifter with the mark on the case. This slight adjustment made a difference as to how hard you had to push the shifter to get it to repeat going vertical. I'll go behind the middle gear cover on the weekend and check out the rod. I think were on the right track here and if you don't mind me saying, I am grateful for your nephews size 14 feet! Thanks again!

My 85 did that once. It was after I let my 6'4, 250lb nephew take it for a ride. We usually did this every year at our family get-together. Did I say he has a size 14 shoe and a foot to fit it? Well he admitted that he couldn't find first and so jammed the pedal down a bit harder. Don't remember if it helped him at all, but it sure got me confused. He bent the rod that's behind the middle gear cover. I got behind the cover with a crow bar and managed to get it straight again. You might have the same issue and to compound it all, somebody might have adjusted the pedal to compensate. The link behind the cover should be straight, and the pedal should be set according to the mark on the shaft.

That would be the last time he road my bike.

Just an update: I did the work on the shift linkage yesterday. I pulled the middlegear cover and lined the factory mark on the transmission shaft with the sqeeze joint at the end of the linkage then did the same with the shift lever and the shaft that comes out of the engine case. Works great! Good call on this one boys! Thanks again for the great info.