IGNORED

Valuable lesson learned - just passing it on

Eck

While in Bryson City this past week, a few Harley riders were staying at the same motel as we did. Yesterday when all of us (including them) were getting ready to leave the motel for the ride home, one of the Harley riders could not start his bike. Come to find out his battery in his KEY FOB went dead. He said something about, he could not shut his bike alarm off or start his bike without activating the key fob button to do so. Two of his friends jumped on their bikes and headed into town to find a batter for his key fob, on a SUNDAY...

Anyway, the lesson here is, make darn sure you have a spare key fob battery on your bike, or in your wallet, on you somewhere, just in case this may happen to you.

I never gave thought about the battery in my key fob, but hey, I can still start my GW if mine is dead.

So, if you own a Harley, you may want to get an extra one so that you can start your ride....:happy34:

Other info:

I mentioned in a previous post that we were staying at a mom & pops motel called the Gracey Manor in Bryson City.

I want to change what I previously said about this place and let you know NOT to stay at this place unless it is your last choice.

I was told this was the best place to stay at in town.

Come to find out I was told this by one of the owners best friends, and it is NOT the best place in town. There are several other motels that are way better.

I have a friend with a Harley. One day he started his bike and went back in and ended up leaving the fob. Went back out to the bike and rode to meet some friends. Shut off the bike and later realized he didn't have the fob and couldn't start the bike to go on the ride they had planned. It's been a while since he told me about it so I might have some of the details wrong.

I have a friend with a Harley. One day he started his bike and went back in and ended up leaving the fob. Went back out to the bike and rode to meet some friends. Shut off the bike and later realized he didn't have the fob and couldn't start the bike to go on the ride they had planned. It's been a while since he told me about it so I might have some of the details wrong.

Thought the whole point of the FOB was to keep the bike from being ridden off without the FOB within a certain distance...

Eck. How did you like the Wheels Through Time Museum?

We didn't go to Wheels through time on this trip. Been there a couple times already in the past. This trip we were with some different people who did go to Wheels through time, but we didn't go with them.

On that day when others went to "Wheels TT", I took my wife on a few roads that I, nor her, have ever been on before, like the "road to nowhere" out of Bryson city.

http://www.greatsmokies.com/gsmnp/road-nowhere.html

There were some nice scenic views along this road that we stopped at and got off the bike to take in the beautiful world we live in. Then we took a bunch of other back roads that I mapped out on the GPS and Google maps before we left the motel that morning.

HPIM3564.jpg

HPIM3556.jpg

We'll be in Waynesville mid week next week. Going to take the lovely Barbie to the museum while there.

Puc, you let me know when you are headed that way, I'll come chase you and Tippy around the mountains then report here what hooligans you are.

Might also bring a couple of Cubans along to share.....

We'll be in Waynesville mid week next week. Going to take the lovely Barbie to the museum while there.

Puc, you let me know when you are headed that way, I'll come chase you and Tippy around the mountains then report here what hooligans you are.

Might also bring a couple of Cubans along to share.....

:dancefool::dancefool:ROCK N ROLL DAVE!!:guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2: Sounds like a LOT of fun!! Only I dont know about this "report here" business,, I personally shy away from telling stories about our family members on here but we can talk about that when we stop for gas:detective:

GOOD WITH THE CUBANS THOUGH BROTHER!!:fingers-crossed-emo:thumbsup:

Will try to remember to pack a few extra Hot Dogs to return the favor!!:big-grin-emoticon:

He rides like a mad man and you think that's a smile on Tippys face it's not it's a grimace perfectly set as a smile. :rotf::rasberry::banana::banana:

Takes one to know one and YOU know em all!! :rasberry::guitarist 2::stickpoke:

Whether you have the fob or a regular key, you should keep a spare. I have a spare key zip tied on my bike. Nobody would ever guess where, but I can access it with in 5 minutes. Hate to get someplace and find out I lost my bike key. Try and get one of THOSE on a Sunday!!

Just make sure you have something to cut the zip tie with....:stickpoke: My luck, I wouldn't have anything and would have to find an old rock with a sharp edge on it..

I keep a spare copy of all keys to all vehicles in the house. Those stay with me from the moment I leave the house every day. I suggested Mike keep a spare in his wallet or on the bike. He doesn't. Oh well.

Without him knowing it, just make a copy of his bike key and put it on the bike for him.

If he ever looses the key, you will be his life long hero, and just think of the embarrassment he will endure for years to come!! :stickpoke:

To be honest, he'd just have me drive wherever he is (prolly work) and hand him the spare. It's not like I don't have all the free time in the world to jump up and save him, right? Lol. Giving him a spare would mean he'd have to know where I stuck it. After his car accident in 2009 memory is a big problem for him on the best of days.

Sent from my B1-810 using Tapatalk

I keep my spare keys in my "tank" bag (which is actually a CD Case Tip and I bought at a Goodwill out in Idaho for a dollar).. I usually dont take the keys out of Tweeks when we park her cause I am afraid I may loose them and not be able to find my spare keys cause of all the junk in the bottom of the bag.. The main reason I even have spare keys is because I have broken off keys in my bag locks and I really dont want to have to crack the bags like an egg to get inside to get Tippy her girly stuff..

Concerning the matter of "theft" protection,, sometimes I park Tweeks in high theft area's (not talking places like Sturgis - aint no thief even remotely interested in taking her when she is parked near a bunch of 35k dollar HD's) and watch her, hoping that someone will try to take her. It would be fun to watch some low life ride off - hit her missing second gear, then watch his face as he realizes she has no brakes either :crackup:

That Tweeks is one crazy ol girl,, I gotta hunch that if some thief actually figured out how to ride her she would eventually find her way back to her stall with a note hanging from one of her horns that would read - "Dear crazier person(s) than me - I am sorry I took your bike, she turned me into an honest man, I will NEVER EVER EVER steal ANYTHING from ANYONE not EVER again" signed "a rehabbed thief"

attachment.php?attachmentid=102098&d=1445479182

steal me.jpg