IGNORED

89 1st Gen - Battery losing water - Doesn't seem to be overcharging.

videoarizona

Interesting situation:

Lately my 89 has been acting weird when starting. Like a battery going bad problem. So last week, I put it on the Deltran charger and noticed a few hours later, the red light was still on. Still charging. Hmm...something is not right here. I go to check it, and find the water level is down in 1/2 the cells! What?

My first thought was overcharging. But the gauge acts normal when riding and at stop! So I take out the trusty meter and connect to battery to see what is going on with charging system. At idle and at running rpm, charging is good. I Measured volts while running. 13.2 with everything on at idle....13.8 and slowly climbing with everything on at 3K rpm...nothing stands out. Both the meter and the gauge on the bike show normal.

I took the battery out and don't see any cracks in the case. There was water/acid in battery compartment though. Could be vibration is causing the crack (if it exists) to leak while riding. If this is the case this will be the first time a battery has leaked on me. I have battery on Battery Tender charging.....no leaks or overflow so far.

Question #1: What else am I overlooking?

BTW, the PO put a resister in the circuit AND this battery does have the sensor!

IMG_20151007_095040_754.jpgIMG_20151007_095056_081.jpg

Question #2: If I replace with a sealed unit....will this resister setup work?

Check the liquid in the battery box to see if it is acid or water. If acid you have a leak, if water stop washing the bike so much.

That is a 6.9K ohm resistor. IIRC it was around a 2K ohm for the mod to turn off the warning light and the resistor would be connected from the sensor lead to +12v not in series with the sensor like this one is. The factory sensor wire was white with a red stripe. You may need to do some more sleuthing to figure out what you have there. But I doubt if this is related to the water issue

Edited by Flyinfool
wrong connection

Check the liquid in the battery box to see if it is acid or water. If acid you have a leak, if water stop washing the bike so much.

That is a 6.9K ohm resistor. IIRC it was around a 2K ohm for the mod to turn off the warning light and the resistor would be connected from the sensor lead to ground not in series with the sensor like this one is. The factory sensor wire was white with a red stripe. You may need to do some more sleuthing to figure out what you have there. But I doubt if this is related to the water issue

Jeff, liquid is acid. Battery is leaking around top on left side somewhere as it's leaking while off bike being charged. Just checked.

The resistor is going to a white wire with red/orange (?) stripe. IMG_20151007_111059_569.jpg

I think the battery is toast. Only charges when fluid levels are high enough to do so...and that's above the "FULL" line on the battery. I think that is why the battery is leaking...it's overfull....and boiling out the seam around the top and the side case. When level is where it should be, the battery stays on charge for way to long. My Battery Tender chargers are slow, but they do shut off!

The resistor value is not at all critical.

I would start by using the resistor that is already there, connect the sensor end of the resistor to a switched 12v source, and if the warning light goes out, your good.

If the resistor value is to high the worst that will happen is the warning light stays on, if the resistor value is to low, you fry the computer.

Here is the thread on this mod.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?489-Battery-Warning-Bypass

Solved the problem the old fashioned way...order an AGM battery. No more fills and spills.

BTW, the battery still shows good voltage but with it needing to be overfull to charge properly....I decided I'm done with wet batteries.

Now to figure out if the landfill will take the battery!

Good news and bad news, Batteries are hazardous waste, landfills can not take them.

There are a lot of places that will buy your old battery. Yes they will give you money Autotzone, Advance Auto, If you have a battery manufacturer or rebuilder in the area they pay the best price for old batteries. Even metal recyclers will buy them.

If you sell it to a place you will at least know that it is getting recycled and not just turning into pollution AND you end up with $5 in your pocket. WIN WIN.

I think autozone was the most generous to me here in omahaha.

My battery is losing water as well. I think I will go with LiPo or LiFePoDoDeDo.

It's hard to keep up with different lithium chemistry anymore, but they all save space and are rarin' to go when you want to.

If I get a much smaller battery and remove the coils (COPs), I will have room for a big sub/amp mounted in the fake tank cover.

:mo money::clap2::mo money:

BTW, the PO put a resister in the circuit AND this battery does have the sensor!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]101913[/ATTACH]

Question #2: If I replace with a sealed unit....will this resister setup work?

The pictured resistor is original factory OEM set-up.

If you change to a MF battery, simply cut that resistor off along with the probe and install a 2.2K through 22K ohm resistor on the same wire stub and connect the other end to a 12 volt supply, usually the ACC tap on the OEM fuse block.