IGNORED

What gas mileage do you get ?

Hi Squeaze,

The seller is 'motorradbay', you can see the sort of kit that he sells at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250228600922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

He also sells carb diaphragms.

He didn't answer when I asked about an XTZ660 kit, but my German can be a bit garbled, I know.

I also came across this site when searching for a source of carb spares http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/keyster_carburettor_kits.htm but I haven't contacted them yet. They seem to be selling similar kits to motorradbay, though.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Squeaze,

The seller is 'motorradbay', you can see the sort of kit that he sells at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250228600922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

He also sells carb diaphragms.

He didn't answer when I asked about an XTZ660 kit, but my German can be a bit garbled, I know.

I also came across this site when searching for a source of carb spares http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/keyster_carburettor_kits.htm but I haven't contacted them yet. They seem to be selling similar kits to motorradbay, though.

Greg, this is funny somehow.

I've seen his Ultrasonic Cleaner on Ebay Germany and wondered about getting some Cleaner for testing Purpose. The Company is 50 km from me away. These Keyster Carb Kits are cheap. I'm wondering about how long the Parts which wore out can upheld the Job.

I've looked up for the XV 535 Kit, because they use the same Carbs as the Ventures and Vmaxxes with slightly different Jets Sizes. Mainly, these Jets don't wear, just the Jet Needle and the Needle Jet(Emulsion Tube), eventually the Mixture Screws, Springs and their O-Rings and of Course the Gaskets. Therefore, Mikuni Parts seems to be the better(safer) Choice at the same Price.

The Price of the Diaphragm on the english NRP Website is really cheap. They are cheaper than i can get them Aftermarket Parts from the Wholesaler. But there is no Pic available, i wonder what Parts they're selling.

I'm wondering if people getting 40+ are in states where ethanol is not as prevalent as it is here in Illinois and if that has something to do with the people who are getting 40+ and the souls like me getting under 40 mpg.

In Tucson we have 10% MTBE (some sort of ethanol in small proportion) in the winter, not in the summer, and I can't tell the difference in mileage or how the engine runs. I get about 38 avg. Last tank was 40 though - woohoo, throw a party!

Jeremy

Jeremy

Guest Bigin

Rode with a 78 year old man the other day.

He rides a 73 BMW 1000 boxer twin he bought new in 73.

Has been riding since 1940 and says he has never had a wreck.

He regularly gets 40 mpg on that air cooled twin, which I thought was interesting because when I owned a similar BMW of 1983 vintage I got almost 50 mpg and rode harder than he does.

Those bikes never change and were nearly identical though 10 years apart.

Mileage variables are such a mystery with whatever you are riding or driving.

Had a question about carbs on my 1990 VR.

In response to the question about the carb parts, yes, I have replaced the diaphrams. Have replaced no other carb parts. I did replace all the throttle linkages. I do all my own maintenance and set everything to spec as noted in the factory service manual. Other items that may affect fuel econonmy / mileage are ignition and valves. Not much can be done to the ignition as most everything is mounted in a "fixed" position, ie, no adjustments. Just make sure you have good HT wires and that the connectors at the spark plugs are not "leaking". I also adjusted my spark plugs to a "tight" gap per the manual. I have adjusted my valves to the maximum clearance (don't want to risk burning a valve). This will cause the loss of a small amount of power but I don't miss it.

One item that may have been over looked, early Ventures, ie, '83, had larger bore carbs than later versions. This may explain some of the mileage and performance differences. If you give it more air, you're going to have to give it more fuel . In closing I would say the biggest single thing that I do to impact my fuel economy is be very considerate when twisting the right grip. If you have to "feel" all that power with your butt by twisting the grip more strenously, you're not going get good fuel economy. By the way, I run "regular" Shell gas that has 10% ethanol.

Enjoy riding your Venture. It's one of the best bikes ever built in my opinion.

Red Baron

My 83 when new 46-42, now 43-38 at 78,000. By comparison my 82 GS1100g with 98,000 still gets 54 with light driving, dropping to 47 with chasing through the corners hard, my old 84 Goldwing got 42-43 no matter how I drove it.The 83 has 1 bad diaphragm and 1 cyl leaking gas from the needle tube at idle even though the float level is correct and steady, going to dig into soon in search of lost MPG

On my '84, I used to get 42-45. On my '88, I got 38-41. Now I have an '86 and am adding a Tugs Induction system to it in a few weeks. Then we will see what comes of it. Tugs is supposed to give better performance as well as mpg. Fingers are crossed, as I have a 10,000 mile trip planned for the end of August, and in the 40s would be very nice! Will get back to you!!!!

Poledar:happy34:

On my '84, I used to get 42-45. On my '88, I got 38-41. Now I have an '86 and am adding a Tugs Induction system to it in a few weeks. Then we will see what comes of it. Tugs is supposed to give better performance as well as mpg. Fingers are crossed, as I have a 10,000 mile trip planned for the end of August, and in the 40s would be very nice! Will get back to you!!!!

Poledar:happy34:

Whats a TUGS?

It involves a crossover induction tube between the intake manifolds. It cuts the carb air velocity in half throughout the entire operating range. You have to change main jets, vacuum position spring length and lift hole size. Mileage is upped as is performance.

I am getting a used one as part of a 1988 VR, but in case they are still around, the company address is:

TUGS INDUCTION SYSTEMS INC

501 8th Ave, Ste 15

Meas, Az 85210

602-835-6640

I will post the results once I get it together and run it a bit.:think:

Poledar

Hello to all,

I would have to say that with my 06RSV, I am averaging between 38 ~ 43 mpg US. Reading the posts on this matter, I find some very interesting data which should be compiled and crunched. I ride with a good size group regularly. The majority of us have been riding the yama brand for quite some time. It has been duely noted that bad to fair weather riding may not be the best friend for our scoots performances.

I am not an expert, and have noted from the posts that some folks riding up in the mountains / colder climates are not doing badly with the mpg. My personell experience, hoping this will not be a "red-herring", is that in the cooler / damp weather my mpg is at the lower range, consistently, and just the opposite on those picture perfect days. Be mindful that my information is under consideration of the fact that, I was not "meeting a deadline or smelling flowers", in either situation. Some of the other parameters which come into play is the composition fo the fuel, how much E content, HOW FAST ARE YOU NUTTEN DOWN THE SLAB YOUNG MAN?, weight factor and wind resistance - although you did mention as a single you did not see a great improvment.

The mileage I reported, is either way, two up or single (that be 350lbs - 250lbs respectively). As a matter of fact, on a 1600 mile ride, we averaged 37 or 38 miles to the gallon US with all the compartments full to include a trunk bag (the bike and gear was total wet 1235lbs). Ooooops. I was shocked. I thought for certain I would see low thirties. I will be confirmaing some of these numbers shortly. Long distance, with and without the ("walk in closet") the wife. Did I say that?

In order to explain the strange phenom in the UK, I think, maybe painstaking, a process of comparing notes with fellow venture riders in your neck of the woods would be of more benefit. If not enough feedback on this forum, contact a STAR riding and touring group. Good luck in your quest for the Grail. I will report back to this thread upon completion of my next mission, or two, three, four. Although, the information posted to date is definitely coming to you from the more senior experienced members on this forum than myself. Thanks for the time and oppurtunity.

Best reagards,

BUSTA

Ricardo Bustamante

If all else fails, look up - smile - say thanks.:happy34:

Well I had been planning to see if I could get one of those Keyster kits (see post above - but they include all of the jets, a gasket and needle etc) and see about refurbishing my carbs to see if it makes a difference.

I've got a week off in a couple of weeks, so that would be a good time.

I had the Venture out yesterday and one of the carbs started flooding - presumably some grot from somewhere in the system - so that will be another reason for doing the whole job at once, sooner rather than later.

Some of the Venture riders are going down to Spain later this year, so they will have a chance to check their mileage on the way. In about a month there will be a bar-b-q and rideout, so we may be able to fill up and compare fuel bills on the way.

We've got a long touring holdiday planned for the summer - either to the Czech Republic (roundtrip ~2000 miles or more) or via a couple of extra countries, Poland and Lithuania (roundtrip 3,200-3,500 miles) and so sorting out economy is quite high on my priorities - I'll certainly be able to count the figures in some detail when travelling.

Greg, do any of your local Venture riders have a hack and trailer as well? Does anybody on this list have a sidecar?

Also, when you next have the floats out, test them all in a cup of fuel and see if they all float at about the same level of submersion. I once had a float get "heavy" where it was just barely floating. It would work while I set the fuel level, then it would flood out on me on the road.

Jeremy

Greg, do any of your local Venture riders have a hack and trailer as well? Does anybody on this list have a sidecar?

No -they're not all stupid.

Seriously though, the other people with sidecars and maybe trailers are not local and don't cover much mileage.

There are one or two outfits on the list, too.

I checked some of the floats when I last had the carbs apart (a few weeks ago) and saw no problem there. I found it difficult to get a consistent reading when I checked the float height, though, which is consistent with worn float needles. I need to contact Keyster about those carb kits. Hopefully it will make a difference.

Well I hadn't realised that Motorradbay is the official direct sales link for Keyster (you get redirected to the site from www.keyster.de ), but I've sent this message:

Guten Tag,

Konnt ihr mir sagen, ob oder nicht ihr habt wunsch, kits fur andere Moto zu verkaufen. I mochte ein kit fur Yamaha XVZ1200 (1983, Mikuni 26H00) kaufen, und es ist moglich, dass ein paar andere Leute von ein Forum auch.

Ihr habt das diaphragm, aber kein kit.

Wenn es moglich ist, wie viel wurde es kosten ? Braucht ihr die specification vom Manual ?

Sorry for what I expect was pretty bad german, but I thought I should make the effort. Do you have any plans to offer a kit for the Yamaha XVZ1200 Venture ? Is there any information that I could provide that would help ?

I'd be grateful if you could let me know, many thanks,

Greg

Hopefully my german's not so atrocious s to put them off.

I also spoke to www.motocarb.co.uk who sell mikuni spares. They may be able to help with some of the parts, but Mikuni are funny about supplying parts and don't publish a catalogue in any useful way. They'll send me a brochure that I can use to 'match' parts once the cabs are disassembled again.

The leaky carbs have meant I aven't gone to the BMF show today, but from next weekend I'll have a week off to play with the beast.

I've also been looking at these float assemblies for the V-Max and XVZ1300. The part number is the same except for the first three digits (1FK-14190-15-00 instead of 22U-14190-15-00) but that could mean they don't fit.

Link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-VMAX-VMX12-XVZ13-XV535-NEEDLE-VALVE-SET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35597QQihZ014QQitemZ330158701712

Can anyone tell me if they'll fit ?

Sorry Greg, i didn't had time to go after this Issue this Week.

We have a Lot of Holidays here, so Working Time is less and very intense.

... but Mikuni are funny about supplying parts and don't publish a catalogue in any useful way. ....

What would you call a useful Catalog ??

A useful catalogue ?? - one that tells you which parts fit which carburettors on which motorcycles.

Mikuni have some sort of deal with Yamaha so some parts are only available via dealers and those parts are not mentioned in any of their catalogues - according to the motocarb man anyway.

Wow, Squeeze, there's a lot of information there if you download the main catalogue. Unless there's another one that I missed, though,it seems to confirm what the motocarb man said (I didn't report it all in the earlier post) - all the information is available in some form or other for the old style slide carbs, but for CV carbs they're pretty tight lipped.

Maybe it's because people find slide carbs easier to tune, so they can sell them after market as tuning accessories. It could just be that the catalogue would be too big to list all models, but the man I spoke to seemed to think that there was some sort of restrictive agreement so that Mikuni didn't cut out the Yamaha dealer network and make it too easy to get the right bits.

Can they tell you the part numbers for things like the float valves and emulsion tubes for our carbs, and if so, how do the 'direct' prices compare with Yamaha prices ?

I presume that they sell direct.

You can get any Carb Part for our V4 Carbs(BDS34/35) from Mikuni, but you're right, there's no Catalog which lists Bikes and Mikuni Parts.
At the risk of sounding dim - I can't see how to do that - do you mean by ringing them up and asking them ? (old fashioned idea I know, but still works) or is there some way of looking it up ?

[The only links that I can see for Europe (from the Mikuni USA site) are for Germany and only the one to Topham has a link. The USA site has lots of info on Harley tuning and those slide carbs, but nothing that I found on CV carbs.]

1-up or 2-up, I get about 47 - 48 mpg.....

:bang head::sick::sick: and I presume that's US mpg.. Edited by greg_in_london

Greg, i didn't compare the Prices between Yamaha and Topham, because the Prices my Yammi Dealers quotes are far beyond of calling them pricey. And i get 10 Percent Discount over the Counter at Yammi.

I called Topham five or six Times, even the (young) Girl one the Telephone allways did know what i'm talking about. When she's on the End of her Knowledge, she instantly redicts the Call to Mr. Topham. He's a very nice Guy and sure knows how to turn wrenches and tuning the Carbs. There are a Lot more Parts in their Stock, than listed in the Catalog.

It may be worth a Call for you. I'm sure they're english spoken, at least Stephen Topham is.