IGNORED

08 Venture Starting problem

Hi,

First time post in this forum :)

I bought an 08 RSV last month. Now, I have this weird problem.

This has happened a few times to me and a few times to the previous owner. When I turn the key to ignition position and hit the start button, the oil pressure and temp. lights show up and the battery makes a single click noise but the engine doesn't start. All components like horn, lights still work.

If I continue to press the start button every couple seconds, the engine starts after about 5-10 pulses.

Do you know what might be happening? Am I ruining something by pressing the start button? This started about 5 days ago after the bike got wet in the rain for a couple of days. I am not sure if the rain did this though.

I am not very mechanically inclined but I am learning slowly. Also, wife and I panic when our vehicles start the drama! HELP!

Thanks in advance.

It could be a number of things but the very first thing I would check would be the battery connections. Take them apart and clean them really well and then try again.

Right there with Freebird! Start with battery connections.. If cleaning the battery connectors fails to solve it check back here - these guys are GREAT teachers!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply FreeBird.

I cleaned the battery and terminals. It still happened this morning. Any other ideas? I asked on another site and a mechanic told me it could be the starter coil, solenoid etc which might not be getting the power always and that the solenoid might be stuck so I'll have to tap it to make it free again. All of that scared me!

could be a dirty start button.

had this happen to a few bikes as the contacts get dirty sometimes.

also check your battery cables to the starter. yes they can get corroded .

like they all say here lets us know there are a lot more on here that know these bikes better then this oldgoat

I have replaced the starter relay/main fuse assembly twice on my 07 RSV. Both times heavily corroded. The last time I applied dielectric grease liberally. I have know idea why it corrodes so badly. It is a bear to change due to its location. Below is a link to csdexter's fix.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/sh...=Starter+relay