IGNORED

Fuel Pump?

cecdoo

It was a beautiful nite last nite, so I thought I would roll the Venture out and go for a nice ride. Pulled the choke, hit the starter and she fired rite up but sounded like she was only hitting on 2 cyl. tried to give her alittle gas and she died. After repeating that around 50 times???? I rolled her back in and rolled out the Madura, 30yrs old and she fired rite up. Almost forgot how much fun it is to ride that bike. Anyhow after doing a quick search on the site I see same thing has happened to other folks and it turned out to be the fuel pump, so I ordered a new one from Yamaha, hopefully it lasts another 9yrs and 60k miles. I gues the one good thing is it died in the garage and not up in NY or on the way home from there. I have another Millineum sitting in the garage, just mite steal the fuel pump off that one to use until mine gets here, wonder if Millies owner will mind? So Thanks to Don and everyone who contributes to this family for making it a snap to diagnose my problem and hopefully get back on the road.

Craig

Mine did it on the highway while I was passing a car.

Yes it is the fuel pump and don't buy a new one buy the points and replace them.

If for some reason you are not going to replace the pump, send it to me and I will fix it and have a spare to put on my shelf if it every happens again.

Best of luck

Bubber

Mine did it on the highway while I was passing a car.

Yes it is the fuel pump and don't buy a new one buy the points and replace them.

If for some reason you are not going to replace the pump, send it to me and I will fix it and have a spare to put on my shelf if it every happens again.

Best of luck

Bubber

Thanks for the info, I am going to just replace the whole pump, for whatever reason I just feel more confident with a whole new pump. I will gladly ship my old one off to you, just pm me your contact info/addy and I will get it off as soon as my new one comes in.

Thanks, Craig

So what are you saying?

If you have a spare with you then you will never need it?

Is that like having insurance on your bike so you never have a claim?

Why didn't someone tell me this earlier? LOL

Good plan! I can't carry all the spares with me that I have, now what do I do? I'll need a bigger trailer. Dang!

Bubber

Actually I went out this morning and tried her again and she fired rite up after pump happily "clicked" for 5 seconds? So did the points just freeze in an awkward spot and now they will be good for awhile, or is it going to be a recurring problem thats going to leave me sit sooner then later? Anyone have one act like this? and keep working fine afterwards?

Thanks, Craig

mine did it three times before if left me high and dry at the side of the road.

my advice is fix it, either replace or repair but fix it.

Just got back with the bike I repaired / replaced the points on it ran great just like it is supposed to.

When your in there replace the fuel filter and blow out each segment of the lines separately. Do all the maintenance in that area all at once and be sure it is fixed.

New gas and sea foam and ride it!!!!!!

Make sure your comfortable with the fix. That is what I just did.

Good Luck buddy

Steve

aka Bubber

Put the new oem pump in this morning, easy job! Took her for a spin,seems to be running fine. Boxed up the old pump and I will get to the post office on Monday, keep an eye out for it Bubber should be there next week.

Craig

Mucho Gratsias or how ever it is spelled.

Mine will never fail again because now there will be a spare.

Bubber

Sorry someone couldn't help you this time. Next time we will all jump in hopefully.

Live and learn I guess.

Glad you got it fixed and it is running the way you wanted.

Oh BTW you could look on the home page under 2nd or 1st gen for fixes and repairs people have done.

Hope that helps for the next time.

Bubber

Yeah, about a year ago, someone first posted about the replacement points. (Big Thanks)

I just got the problem again so ordered a set off Amazon for about $27 with free ship. Saw various prices on Ebay.

Just google for the part number given above. K&L Pump Supply 18-4615.

And watch the video Cougar posted, shows how to do it.

Also, learn how to gravity feed if you are out on the road and it dies. You can reroute the gas line for a temp fix.

Look for a post from last week on fuel pump.

But, also a friend Reggie B, also on this forum just got a same looking pump for under $30 delivered, on Ebay. He has installed it on his 2011 RRSV and said he does NOT have to turn off the petcock when it is parked.

Here is the link he bought from in the last two weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331369030356?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D331369030356%26_rdc%3D1

Got the replacement points in. After watching the video it is pretty simple to replace while the pump is still in the bike.

But,,, they did not work. No rat-tat-tat from the new points. I cleaned burrs of the old one put them back in. Same, no rat-tat-tat from old points.

And I did run the engine till it pooped out of gas.

So, I got to guess another part of the pump is bad.

SO, for about the same cost of points I just ordered the pump that I noted above from Ebay.

It's due by next Monday (one week max). Will post here again with results. Hope for better.

BUT,,,,,, that's why I have TWO Royal Stars! I can keep on riding and smiling!