IGNORED

Thinking about going lighter...

CaptainJoe

I understand. I was just:stickpoke: All in good humor! No offense intended.

I think if I could modify my ZN700 seat to make it wider it would be fine for a trip. The engine would rev more and I'd have to use my extra foot pegs to stretch out occasionally but it would be workable. The 1st Gen Venture windshield seems to be too far from the rider and I get too much wind buffeting behind it. My ZN700 with the full National Cycle plexifairing III windshield is very close to me when I ride it and it is actually quieter around my helmet than the 89 Venture.

Absolutely no offense taken. I just wanted to get my point across better. I think. My comfort is definetely not without mods. And what I got in return was better MPG, ABS, and a much lighter bike. Lighter bike is not always better either, but mine has not been bad when commuting at 80MPH every day.

I got a Corbin I'm still trying to get used to. Was going to trade it but think I've changed my mind but still not sure I like it.

Loved the Corbin on my Venture so much, I immediately bought one for my TD when I got it. I will eventually try one on my Vstrom as well as soon as I catch a good used one!!

Good thread, I've been thinking of going lighter for some time and last year bought a 2002 Triumph Bonneville, and this year was thinking of buying a 650 Vstrom, but haven't yet, but I'd like to ride one first.

It seems like the foot/leg postion might be troublesome, but like I said, I'd like to ride one.

I'll keep the RSTD though. I did talk with a guy in Canada and he said that on dirt tracks, the Vstom needs tubes though.

Loved my KLR and XT. Loved my Bonneville. Loved a plethora of bikes and I think I'll have to end up owning 10. At the same time for once. I'm getting comfortable on the beast but I do love throwing a bike around and I simply can't do that on the RSV. I may have to get another one of these for around town.

IMG_1732.JPG

Or this...

IMG_0557.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

On vacation last year we met the actor Justin Chatwin at Monument Valley in Utah. He and two of his friends were touring on blacked out Harley Sportsters. If you go to his twitter page, he posts photos of his trips. We saw him again at Lake Powell after he was pulled over by the cops!! He has been on many tours on his bike and the last time I checked he was riding to Argentina I believe. Anyway, a Sportster might be a fun bike to ride.

A friend of mine is going to sell his 2014 650 v-storm adventure this winter....

So...

My 2007 RSV Midnight with 34,000 miles will be up for sale soon.

Never been down. excellent condition... will post in classifieds when I get the vstorm.

I think you would be pleased with a 650 Vstrom. Plenty of 1 up power. I am 280 or so and I have never needed more from mine. Handles great. It is like the Venture of the adventure bike world. Low maintenance. Fairly cheap parts. Lots of support for aftermarket and on the forums. And usually run forever. Plenty of 100k mile bikes out there with no major issues. I was concerned before I bought mine but a member here let me ride his Vstrom and I ended up with one. And after my first short trip last week, I made the right decision!

I've been looking at the 650 V-strom myself, and before winter is over I'll have one.

Right now, I'm looking at 2012's.

What I haven't looked up yet is what is the weight difference between the 650 and the 1000, and why the 1000 is not as popular.

That's strange that you was talking about a 2012.

Just found out that's what year bike this one is and it is Black and only has 5,200 miles on it. Comes with a highway windshield and an adjustable one that came with it. Ed said to much head buffeting with the stock one. He's also throwing in a locking hard rifle case ... So I can carry my fishing rods...:whistling:

I've been looking at the 650 V-strom myself, and before winter is over I'll have one.

Right now, I'm looking at 2012's.

What I haven't looked up yet is what is the weight difference between the 650 and the 1000, and why the 1000 is not as popular.

Depends on on whether you are talking 2012 and older 1000 or the newer 2014 and up 1000. If you are talking the 1st gen 1000, it had some clutch chudder, less mpg, only about 50 pounds heavier than the 650. Also no abs on the 1000 until the 2nd gen. The 1st gen 1000 also has some factory tuning issues. Nothing than can't be fixed easily with a programmer though.

I went back back and forth between which one to get. I ended up with an 08 650 with ABS. 10k miles and in perfect shape for $4k. I was really worried about power, but not anymore after riding it for 5 or 6 months now.