IGNORED

Mystery First Gen

I aquired an 84 VR a few days ago for $350. It was apparently parked full of gas in 2011. after cleaning out the tank and taking the carbs apart for cleaning and getting it all back together it still didn't run right but it's possible i missed some gunk in the passageways, on the other hand the big surprise was that the bike had a vmax motor, minus the vboost. In any case it's still not getting up off the pilot to the main like it should, and I've ruled out major vacuum leak with the starter fluid trick. Should the vacuum advance be plugged into the port on the left front carb, or the sync port on the left rear intake? If I'm not mistaken on the first gen ventures it's the port on the carb, which on this bike had about a foot of hose plugged in not connected to anything on the other end, and the sync port was connected to the advance with a small plastic part inline (check valve? restrictor?) I've tried it both ways and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any advice would be welcome.

Edited by MileHi

I downloaded a service manual for the vmax. (this motor is a 2WF meaning 87-96 california built. the advance goes to carb #2, and would seem as though the sync port on #1 should be plugged. It occurs to me that you wouldn't get the most out the motor without using the vmax control unit, though it would be programmed to control spark with vboost. There's a question for the theorists, I have no need for the vboost part of the tach being an old and slow guy ;)

Oh, the prior owner was one Wittie McNeil, representative for sanitation workers during 81 New York sanitation strike. Impressive guy, this one. The world was probably better off with him as a role model for NY young men. I assume his bike got the max motor when it lost 2nd gear, though that's speculation. I also assume for the moment that the problem with getting up off idle is either gunk I missed in the carbs, though would seem like I would have the same obstruction in all 4, or the control unit has gone south.

Still trying to figure out what to do with this one. The complete motors are going $1500 on Ebay, so I could part it out and eventually profit big. I could plastic weld, sand, polish, maybe repaint and shoot for NADA. It's not a keeper for me because I don't have the appreciation for the extra 30 h.p. though, after riding the 99 RSV I do miss the Jaguar handling of the first gens. Suggestions maties?

Man I would sure appreciate an extra 30 HP. I am still of the belief that the vehicle with enough HP has never yet been built.......

I would fix her up and ride her or sell her complete. Someone will pay more for that extra HP especially in a clean looking bike.

It makes no difference which carb sync port the vacuum hose is connected to.

I would suggest you remove the air cleaner cover, start motor and rev it some and see if slides are all moving freely. You can see them with cover removed. If not, pull side covers off carbs & check rubbers for pin holes.

Gary

83's had the vacuum advance plugged into the ported vacuum point on the carb.

I believe it was 84 and up the vacuum advance was plugged into the port on the manifold below the carb.

In fact, I think the carbs after 83 didn't have the port on them. So if you've go thte port, you might have 83 carbs on your "junkyard dog".

That "little plastic thingy" is a check valve/restrictor, there should be an arrow on it somewhere.

Now, yours being a junkyard dog sorta bike, there's no telling which TCI you have in there: 83, 84 or even a VMax. Maybe even newer than 84. Only way to tell is check the part numbers.

Since there's no VBoost, I would put my money on there being a stock 84 TCI in there. I can't help you on the vacuum line if it has a VMax TCI in there, but there's lots of places to download a VMax service manual from on the internet.

As cool as it may seem to keep it together, I'm betting you'd get more money for it parted out.

Mostly out of the engine becuase it has that "VMax mystique" about it.

All the venture parts will probably be lucky to just pull in what you're get for the 'Max engine.....

What was that puff of smoke from the engine valley close to the end of the video?

Edited by Great White