IGNORED

ideas for custom paint

Once I get my title problem fixed I am going to get my bike painted.Rick butler gave me a name of a guy.My 01 is the burgundy sort of red and black.I am thinking metallic solid red all over.Then the name venture in gold on the tank, and then in gold on sidecovers say xvz 1300.on top of the tank towards the seat have a small crossed checker flags like on a corvette.I was also thinking of some sort of brake lights mounted on the trunk somehow.

Cruiser,

I have a buddy that has a paint job on his venture that i have never seen anything else like it. He said it was a chemical that his painter put on the paint to give it a crinkle. Even if it was done to multiple bikes at once they all would be one of a kind.10649819_492850344185729_8091554448560363119_n.jpg

Cruiser,

I have a buddy that has a paint job on his venture that i have never seen anything else like it. He said it was a chemical that his painter put on the paint to give it a crinkle. Even if it was done to multiple bikes at once they all would be one of a kind.[ATTACH=CONFIG]101211[/ATTACH]

That can be achieved using saran wrap ... back in the late 70's and early 80's it was the hot item ... had a paint and body shop then and did quite a bit of that.

Cruiser,

I have a buddy that has a paint job on his venture that i have never seen anything else like it. He said it was a chemical that his painter put on the paint to give it a crinkle. Even if it was done to multiple bikes at once they all would be one of a kind.[ATTACH=CONFIG]101211[/ATTACH]

I watche a lot of videos yesterday.As said below, you take saran wrap right after you put a coat of paint on.wrap the tank,hand form if where needed.Then later peel it off,probably soon after.Then several coats of clear and wetsanding and it looks like that.So many possibilities.I am old school.I prefer solid paint, a little pinstriping for accent.But so many possibilities.

I watche a lot of videos yesterday.As said below, you take saran wrap right after you put a coat of paint on.wrap the tank,hand form if where needed.Then later peel it off,probably soon after.Then several coats of clear and wetsanding and it looks like that.So many possibilities.I am old school.I prefer solid paint, a little pinstriping for accent.But so many possibilities.

The process is you let the underlying color dry (in this case black), then you use a "slow" reducer and maybe even some "retarder" additive in the top coat. Lay the saran wrap down ... pat it, pull it, and yank it off (the saran wrap ya perv !! LOL) ... let that all dry and then start applying the clear.

I was also thinking of some sort of brake lights mounted on the trunk somehow.

What about some Harley lights on the license plate bracket...I also have an LED strip right under the trunk. One of our members, Steve @M61A1MECH, sells them.

IMG_20150609_151954_102.jpg

or Yamaha made a spoiler for the trunk that had lights on it. I don't have a pic of that but the ad that Puc posted in the watering hole has a picture of an 05 silver RSV with the spoiler.

What about some Harley lights on the license plate bracket...I also have an LED strip right under the trunk. One of our members, Steve @M61A1MECH, sells them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101214[/ATTACH]

or Yamaha made a spoiler for the trunk that had lights on it. I don't have a pic of that but the ad that Puc posted in the watering hole has a picture of an 05 silver RSV with the spoiler.

I will check into that.yes the harley gave me the idea.

Get ready. Tearing down a venture, cleaning and then sanding all the parts is a ton of work. I would rather sand a complete car for painting. Every little nook has to be hit with a medium grit paper (depends on paint manufacturer). I just completed painting my RSV. HOK tech data for paint that I was using was to sand surface with 320 grit. It took a while and lots of sweat.

Also, the pinstriping has to be totally removed and it is vinyl striping and most likely under a couple coats of clear.

Once that was done, and minor repairs performed, we laid on the layers of paint up to the point of my pinstripes. Let paint cure for at least 24 hours and then sanded the 6 parts requiring stripes with 800 grit. Then we applied a layer of inner clear, then the stripes and then 2 more coats of clear.

Lots and lots of work. Took me 3x longer to put it all back together as it did to tear it down.

Granted, by mine being candy, it required more work, but still, this is no easy chore.

Here is my finished product. Reassembly was just completed this past Friday. You can read about the inspiration for the project in one of my other threads in Watering Hole.

20150823_105934.jpg

20150823_105955.jpg

11892053_984335128255032_2759586096207899826_n.jpg

20150823_110039.jpg

11896033_10204501593208994_7408627733615820851_n.jpg

That is about the most beautiful paint job I have seen.Sure, it was a lot of work, sure it was a pain, but the bike results are what makes it worth a 100,000 dollars in appearance.Beautiful work.I have decided probably on metallic red, not as big a flake as 196-'s metalflake,but flake.The word venture will be like a ghost emblem,painted on, barely discernible on the sides of the tank.Plus xvz1300 on the sidecovers.I am not concerned with saving or reaplying stock pinstriping.I would love to know the paint colors you used Larry.As far as time, in the winter it will be done,too rideable right now.

That is about the most beautiful paint job I have seen.Sure, it was a lot of work, sure it was a pain, but the bike results are what makes it worth a 100,000 dollars in appearance.Beautiful work.I have decided probably on metallic red, not as big a flake as 196-'s metalflake,but flake.The word venture will be like a ghost emblem,painted on, barely discernible on the sides of the tank.Plus xvz1300 on the sidecovers.I am not concerned with saving or reaplying stock pinstriping.I would love to know the paint colors you used Larry.As far as time, in the winter it will be done,too rideable right now.

All the paint was House of Kolor, except for pinstripes and tribute to Princess Emma. Those were 2011 Ford colors.

HOK:

Silver Sealer

BC02 Orion Silver

BC10 Pavo Purple (these 2 basecoats were what I used to give it a two tone effect)

UK22 Voodoo Violet Kandy

SG100 Intercoat Klear

USC01 Show Klear

The ghosted Justice League is the Pavo Purple, lightly misted on top of the Orion Silver.

We sanded the ENTIRE surface of all 27 pieces with 320 grit prior to painting. Then after the intercoat clear and 2 coats of show clear, we allowed it to cure for more than 24 hours and sanded the parts that required pinstripes with 800 grit, applied the stripes and then sprayed 2 more coats of show clear. I think there are total of 4 coats of clear coat.

Some will tell you that 1 quart (if you are using a solid color) is enough to paint your bike. Don't listen to that. Depending on the gun you use and air pressure, 1 quart will get you 2 coats, maybe 3 if you have very little overspray and how thick you lay it. I recommend allowing an extra pint at a minimum. I bought 2 quarts of Kandy and barely had enough. We had to really stretch it to get 4 coats. We were running 22 psi at the gun (HVLP with I think a 1.4 tip).

Edited by YamahaLarry

All the paint was House of Kolor, except for pinstripes and tribute to Princess Emma. Those were 2011 Ford colors.

HOK:

Silver Sealer

BC02 Orion Silver

BC10 Pavo Purple (these 2 basecoats were what I used to give it a two tone effect)

UK22 Voodoo Violet Kandy

SG100 Intercoat Klear

USC01 Show Klear

The ghosted Justice League is the Pavo Purple, lightly misted on top of the Orion Silver.

We sanded the ENTIRE surface of all 27 pieces with 320 grit prior to painting. Then after the intercoat clear and 2 coats of show clear, we allowed it to cure for more than 24 hours and sanded the parts that required pinstripes with 800 grit, applied the stripes and then sprayed 2 more coats of show clear. I think there are total of 4 coats of clear coat.

Some will tell you that 1 quart (if you are using a solid color) is enough to paint your bike. Don't listen to that. Depending on the gun you use and air pressure, 1 quart will get you 2 coats, maybe 3 if you have very little overspray and how thick you lay it. I recommend allowing an extra pint at a minimum. I bought 2 quarts of Kandy and barely had enough. We had to really stretch it to get 4 coats. We were running 22 psi at the gun (HVLP with I think a 1.4 tip).

Great information.I appreciate it a lot.