IGNORED

Harbor Freight Lift

frankd

I've got a Harbor Freight lift in my repair shop. It's the only lift I had the first three years. It's got a lot of use, but now I generally do the larger bikes on my newer air lift. I keep the older HF lift around because some bikes (like the Ventures) cannot be loaded on the air lift backward (tall L clamp that hits pipes/bags/fenders). Another advantage of the HF lift is it sits lower when down which is a big benefit with larger bikes. Some things to keep in mind:

+ That lift has gone through several design/manufacturer changes since I purchased mine. For instance the lift in the picture has the foot pedals on the opposite side of mine. At least one iteration of the lift had a light, hollow locking bar that could bend. I'd check the one I bought to make sure it had a solid locking bar.

+ The feet are at the clamp end of the lift. When you load a motorcycle all the weight is on the wheeled end and it can slide on a smooth floor. Mine shot several feet into the wall before I screwed a block to the floor to hold it in place.

+ My lift was drilled near the center for U-bolts to strap the bike to. I re-drilled close to the clamp and tie down there. You need to be tied at the clamp end if you want to jack the motorcycle up.

+ Mine will no longer lift a Venture sized bike without help - the safety on the jack releases the hydraulic pressure. I get around this by lifting on the passenger grab bars for the first few pumps to help it along. Once it's started up the bike has less mechanical advantage on the jack and it goes fine.

+ That clamp will not hold a motorcycle upright while you strap it down (not an issue if you use the center stand). I used to put large motorcycles on unassisted but now I avoid doing it without an assistant to help hold it upright while it is strapped down.

+ It's difficult to get the rear tire off a Venture on that lift. The trap door has a bar across the end that keeps you from dropping the wheel straight down. You need to get the motorcycle high enough that you can move the wheel forward then down. As I recall, you can just squeeze the 1st gen wheel through when it's on the center stand. A 2nd gen needs to be jacked up pretty high to get the rear wheel off.

+ Because of that bar across the trap door you need to drop the wheel down through the lift which means you have to let go and get your hands underneath. Again, an assistant is almost required with a heavy Venture wheel.

+ The turned up edges on the lift are great. They keep stuff from rolling or getting knocked off. I wish my air lift had that.

It's tough to put a Venture on the center stand on the lift. The extra height makes it difficult to get enough leverage on the stand. I generally hop up on the lifts to work the center stand but you don't want to lose your balance. Again, an assistant is a big help.

I put a jack with a 2x4 under the swing arm just in front of the rear wheel and lift just enough to get the center stand down and then lower the jack. (Be sure the bike is stable, preferably with a helper). This allows the front wheel to remain firmly in the clamp.

I will edit in a picture when I get to the shop.

Forget the above suggestion!! I was writing from memory, and apparently I have no memory. There is no room in front of the rear wheel for a jack.

You will have to place the jack under the collector, which might be risky.

Edited by venturesome
correct mistake

Yeah I got one last November. Used it 2 times. Now it won't lift the bike. Argued with Harbor Frieght (actually Pittsburgh Tools) because I did not buy the extended warranty, on getting a replacement pump at their cost. I mean I only used it twice and the pump took a dump. They are "supposed" to ship me a new pump at no charge. Here is the kicker, whether you have an extended warranty or not, it is a 10 WEEK SPECIAL ORDER!! And unless you have a lot of muscle and a trailer to return it to the store (I have neither) your going to wait on the parts. I for one, will not buy anything of this nature from them again. Plus it is a narrow platform. I replaced the janky POS wheel clamp with an actual wheel chock and made removable extensions for the sides so when I ride it up onto the lift, I have someplace to put my feet. Buyer beware. I wish I would have applied my $300 to a higher quality lift. I have needed it 3 times this year and cannot use it. Looks real pretty taking up space in my garage though. And I know, people are going to say they have had no issues with theirs, again as I stated, buyer beware.

I just went through my emails for the replacement pump. They said a minimum of 10 weeks. We are now on the 12th week. So if you buy one and I highly recommend that you do not, but if you really feel the need to gamble.....buy the extended warranty, as long as the store swaps out the entire lift. If they say that only the affected parts will be replaced.......run away from there with your money as fast as you can. Because if you have to order parts, as they said on the pump.......a MINIMUM of 10 weeks. I really regret buying mine. Once it is fixed.....if they actually live up to sending me a working pump, mine just may get sold and a real lift will be bought.

I have the air/hydraulic version of the HF lift. I wish I had bought a better lift. The lift will only rise about 6 inches now when empty. Won't move at all with a load on it. It is out of warranty and the replacement cylinder costs more than the lift is worth. I wish I had spent $300 more on a quality lift. I would have long forgotten about the $300 and I would have a lift that works.

Dennis

My 1986 is on a Harbor Freight manual lift right now. The lift is about 5 years old. Works great. I added wings down the side for an extra bit of width. Six inches each side. I put a different wheel chock on the front and repositioned it a bit. I use a small screw scissor lift under the bike instead of a center stand. I can use the rear wheel drop that way. Mine is the generation with the solid safety bar. And has the lips of the frame bent differently than a second generation. Not sure what is available now.

I had to set my pressure relief valve upward when I first got it. It would not lift my first gen. I put a Harley Electraglide on the lift and then adjusted the relief valve until it would just lift the Harley. Never touched it since.

If the lift is under load, it will sit against the hydraulics and not drift down more than a couple inches in a week. Unloaded it will drop about a foot or so in a week. Load must push the O-rings and seals outward a bit and cause a tighter seal.

After the modifications, I have about $400.00 invested. Including the new chock and the side wings. I would not give it up now.

I do ride the bike up the lift under power. If bike is dead, takes two people to push it up on.

JB

Your mods are pretty much the same as mine except the pressure relief valve. There is no way to change my pump around. It is welded in. Nice. So if I make a mod to air valve I will have to replace a few hunks of metal. Mine has a solid safety bar also. What got me thinking......what if I had my bike on this thing and sitting on the safety bar and when I went to raise the platform to take the safety bar out and the pump poops out. How in the blazes would I get my bike down? I paid $300 plus tax for mine, have about another $150 in mods and if I convert it to an air cylinder thaere goes another $200-300 up a hogs butt. That would put me up to the $700 range for a cheap Harbor Freight POS. Another $500 and I could have had a quality lift. Live and learn.

I bought one this summer too. Installed two 3/8" eye bolts close to the front corners with large diameter fender washers so I could use ratchet straps from the handlebars to anchor with. I never use the front tire clamp except for a wheel chock and the little u-bolts are pretty much useless for large bikes.

My 88 is a bit too much for this lift, but my 06 RSV is very secure after the eyebolt install.

I haven't attempted to elevate the wheels yet but was getting ready to figure that out next. Glad to see some ideas.

Had to put hydraulic fluid in mine, but overall I'm satisfied and man, how nice it is just to stand there an have easy access to maintain and clean!

I bought one this summer too. Installed two 3/8" eye bolts close to the front corners with large diameter fender washers so I could use ratchet straps from the handlebars to anchor with. I never use the front tire clamp except for a wheel chock and the little u-bolts are pretty much useless for large bikes.

My 88 is a bit too much for this lift, but my 06 RSV is very secure after the eyebolt install.

I haven't attempted to elevate the wheels yet but was getting ready to figure that out next. Glad to see some ideas.

Had to put hydraulic fluid in mine, but overall I'm satisfied and man, how nice it is just to stand there an have easy access to maintain and clean!

I wouldn't know............12 weeks waiting on parts with no delivery in sight. I am starting to become...................unhappy.

I wouldn't know............12 weeks waiting on parts with no delivery in sight. I am starting to become...................unhappy.

That sucks!

When I set mine up it would work fine with no load. We got my 88 Royale on it and it started to act like it didn't want to go up. We let it back down, rolled the bike back down and discovered there wasn't any hydraulic fluid. The filler hole is about 1/4" diameter (maybe) and it took a 45 minutes with a plastic hypodermic oil tool to fill it up.

Mines been fine so far, but as you mentioned, if it failed with a load on it and the safety rod was in place I guess I'd have to rig something up with my 3 1/2 ton floor jack to release the rod and lower.

Wont they just replace the whole dang thing?

And the side wings:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101060[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]101061[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101062[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]101063[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101064[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]101065[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101066[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]101067[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101068[/ATTACH]

Good idea! I always get a buddy to help with mine and I've thought about doing this.

Can you back it down safely too?

Your mods are pretty much the same as mine except the pressure relief valve. There is no way to change my pump around. It is welded in. Nice. So if I make a mod to air valve I will have to replace a few hunks of metal. Mine has a solid safety bar also. What got me thinking......what if I had my bike on this thing and sitting on the safety bar and when I went to raise the platform to take the safety bar out and the pump poops out. How in the blazes would I get my bike down? I paid $300 plus tax for mine, have about another $150 in mods and if I convert it to an air cylinder thaere goes another $200-300 up a hogs butt. That would put me up to the $700 range for a cheap Harbor Freight POS. Another $500 and I could have had a quality lift. Live and learn.

Well I place this to you: What would you do if the hydraulics on a $2000.00 POS crapped out and the bike was on the lift? The quad rings, o-rings, and back up rings are all probably the same quality. I would take my floor jack and a block of wood, stack them to raise the lift off of the safety bar. Then lower down on wooden and concrete blocking. Down a bit at a time and reset the stack. With the parallelogram arms I could do this at the front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Well I place this to you: What would you do if the hydraulics on a $2000.00 POS crapped out and the bike was on the lift? The quad rings, o-rings, and back up rings are all probably the same quality. I would take my floor jack and a block of wood, stack them to raise the lift off of the safety bar. Then lower down on wooden and concrete blocking. Down a bit at a time and reset the stack. With the parallelogram arms I could do this at the front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

I honestly think that your going to get better quality parts on a $2000 lift than a $300 lift. Harbor Frieght still is waiting for my pump to come in on that slow boat from China. Better lift, if you need parts, are more than likely more apt to have replacement parts more readily available.

I honestly think that your going to get better quality parts on a $2000 lift than a $300 lift. Harbor Frieght still is waiting for my pump to come in on that slow boat from China. Better lift, if you need parts, are more than likely more apt to have replacement parts more readily available.

I certainly agree that a major brand should have parts for their products. I just remember looking at a lift from a major supplier and seeing so many similarities between it and the Harbor Freight. Of course it may have been their low end lift. I hope you get a speedy resolution to your pump problem. Maybe I got lucky with my lift. It was not made on a Chinese holiday week!

Dennis,

Can you take a look at how the pump mounts. I was looking at converting mine to the air over but they don't sell it anymore. It looks like you can get a replacement from redlinestands.com

Thanks, the LD1K light duty lift looks very similar to the one I have. I'll contact them to see if the cylinder will work. But I'm not inclined to put more than $50 or so into it for a repair. I would rather put the money toward a more substantial lift and scrap this one.

Dennis

Just talked to the guy at redlinestands.com and he said the pump on their stand was similar to my HF unit but couldn't guarantee it would work. And, it was $195 plus shipping. I'd sell mine for scrap if I could get it to the scrap yard.