IGNORED

Tires?

DNBoll

Guest Popeye

The "negative comments" you've seen should tell you enough.

Check the search function for endless info/experiences on tires.

Just ride them until they wear out and buy some new ones. I got about 8000 miles out of the set on mine when I bought it. Whenever you switch from old tires to new tires, it feels great! When I wore mine out I switched to Avons. I'll probably try the Michelins next.

Would new Avons feel better than new Bridgestones? I'm not sure, but I'm in the minority. Good luck!

1. The front tire is MUCH wider than any other 150/80-16 tire made, causing the RSV to feel very heavy and be extremely difficult to manage in parking-lot speed turns. Once you begin a turn, the front tries to forcibly go to full lock, causing you to have to constantly fight the bars to keep from going down.
  2. Rear tire wears out VERY fast; generally toast in 8,000 miles or less.
  3. Rear tire begins to howl in even slight turns after about 3,000 miles.
  4. Rear tire has very little rounded profile - handles nasty.
  5. Despite it wearing fast, rear tire seems to have very hard rubber - no bite on road at all. Slightly too much gas in 2nd and 3rd gear acceleration busts it loose constantly.
  6. As it wears flat, sharp edges begin to grab any road surface irregularities and jerk the bike around - if there is a sharp ridge or uneven pavement, these jerks can be violent and quite dangerous. Because of it's poor profile to begin with, this is much worse on the Brickstone than any other tire I have ever used.
  7. Did I mention they just handle like hell?

Good luck,

Goose

I agree with everything Goose just said. I actually think that the lack of grip makes them dangerous. A few years ago when a group of us were carving some curves in Arkansas, the only rider that almost went down a couple of times was the guy running nearly new stock Bridgestone tires.

1. The front tire is MUCH wider than any other 150/80-16 tire made, causing the RSV to feel very heavy and be extremely difficult to manage in parking-lot speed turns. Once you begin a turn, the front tries to forcibly go to full lock, causing you to have to constantly fight the bars to keep from going down.
  2. Rear tire wears out VERY fast; generally toast in 8,000 miles or less.
  3. Rear tire begins to howl in even slight turns after about 3,000 miles.
  4. Rear tire has very little rounded profile - handles nasty.
  5. Despite it wearing fast, rear tire seems to have very hard rubber - no bite on road at all. Slightly too much gas in 2nd and 3rd gear acceleration busts it loose constantly.
  6. As it wears flat, sharp edges begin to grab any road surface irregularities and jerk the bike around - if there is a sharp ridge or uneven pavement, these jerks can be violent and quite dangerous. Because of it's poor profile to begin with, this is much worse on the Brickstone than any other tire I have ever used.
  7. Did I mention they just handle like hell?

Good luck,

Goose

other than that they are ok

Thanks for the info. I get the picture. Since I came off a 1300 VTX, the RSV seems like a Cadillac. Goose, all the things you mentioned , I experienced on the VTX. I have only been able to ride the RSV to work (in between snow storms), approximately 15 miles, so I don't have a good feeling of what this "baby" will do. I have ordered the windshield, Signal Dynamics LED bar & other accessories upon you all's advise. I will be dealing with the tires soon. Thanks again for all your experience, heads-up, advise & help. DNB in Denver

I would like to put on Avons or Elite IIIs with a narrow white wall like Electra Glides have. But our only choice for white walls are the wide type that Bridgestone and Dunlop 404s have. Unless I'm missing something.

I have around 5000 miles on my stock Dunlap's now (06). How many miles should I expect to put on them before they need to be replaced? I will most likely switch to Avon's at that time. Thanks for your thoughts.

I had 9,000 miles on mine when I switched out the Dunlop 404's. (Never had the brickstones) I could have probably gone another 1,500, but I was going on a long trip and wanted the fresh rubber for the trip. I can't tell you how much better the bike rode with the Elite IIIs on it. Like two different bikes! I have 6,000 on these and they look like new.