IGNORED

My butt hurts

cruiser

Me and my buddy decided to go for a ride yesterday, well that ride turned into 196 miles, about maybe 40 mile into the ride I discovered my butt was sore, is there any seats out there that are a lot more comfortable than the stock seat that I have, I ride a 97 Yamaha royal star, help plz!!!!!

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

On topic response:

Any aftermarket seat is going to be a bit hit and miss. They all try for the "middle of the road" seat. They have too in order to sell lots of them.

Custom fitted seats are great, but expensive and it's hard to come by someone who knows what they are doing.

Mine is an 83, but I went with a sheepskin pad and I have some seat beads on the way to try out.

The sheep skin was pretty good, 5-6 hour day with no problems.

We'll see what the beads do, but they get good reviews.

I actually also got a lot of comfort out of draping a doubled up towel over the seat. Was suggested by a member here....:thumbsup2:

my 83 I had sheep skin that we used for long distance. don't know what happened to it. bought a seat cover from a member here he made after that didn't need it would ride 8 hr days with it. leg cramps the last hour of days. didn't have highway pegs. have to toughen up back side.

Airhawk seat pads are expensive but may be a choice you would be interested in and they sell three different types:

1) Airhawk II

2) Airhawk R

3) Airhawk Original

Check out the "Sharper Image" Gel seat cushion too, Bed Bath & Beyond sells them for $49.99 + tax

I just found a ROHO wheel chair air cushion at a thrift store the other day. It cost me $3.99 and when I got home I took the outer cover off, placed it in the bath tub and cleaned /disinfected it, and checked for leaks (No -leaks!!) and I threw the cover in the washing machine. I went to the ROHO web site and this air seat pad sells for $498.00 bucks.......I am missing the $9.00 hand pump which I can order on line, but I am looking at rigging up a 12 volt air pump on my bike so I can adjust the seat pad as I am going down the road!!!!!!

So I'm thinking about just refinishing the original seat to the bike, I have been looking at some others, mostly found was just covers, not bad prices, I do like the idea on sheep skin. Any ideas on a place to buy the fabric? And what kinda foam or maybe jell, or memory foam, all ideas are very appreciated.

If you can find sheepskin in the 3/4 shorn form you're golden. That's the curly type. I found one made by HartCo (no longer available) several years back made for the 1st gen seats listed on eBay. I grabbed it as it was cheap and turned out I was the only bidder.

Was quite impressed with the 3/4 shorn stuff. Holds up very well, nice cushion effect, repels water pretty well and drys quickly in the sun. I wash mine in Woolite once a year and it springs back to the original feel after a wash and raked out with my fingers.

Kills the monkeybutt issue, takes off the pressure points to keep the blood flowing, removes the "yikes" factor on a dark seat on those intense sunny days and keeps the boys alive on the near freezing frosty days.

I'm a believer in sheepskin. The only thing that would make me happier is throwing it over a "Butt Bulter" modded seat. Get a hold of Rick Butler here for that mod. Never a bad review on his work.

sheepskin.jpg

Edited by Snaggletooth

Josh,

Your request is perfect timing as Rick Butler is back from a 2 month injury to start reworking seats for you guys. In fact I just completed a 96 Royal Star seat that really works out well. Take a look at my classifed ad which explains what I do and pretty much everything you need to send me s seat (s).

[TABLE=width: 82]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl24, width: 82]http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=21&title=butt-butler-seat-mod&cat=16[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Let me know if I can help,

Rick

Me and my buddy decided to go for a ride yesterday, well that ride turned into 196 miles, about maybe 40 mile into the ride I discovered my butt was sore, is there any seats out there that are a lot more comfortable than the stock seat that I have, I ride a 97 Yamaha royal star, help plz!!!!!