IGNORED

Ignition switch and key question

Hi,

My 2006 RSV developed a problem over the weekend. When I put the key in, it won't turn to the ACC and ON positions. It does turn counter clockwise to the LOCK position but not the other way. If a play around with it a bit, it finally turns to the ON position and the bike starts and runs fine. The key is old and looks worn out. Is it possible that a new key from my dealer (since this one is the only one in captivity) would work. Or, is the ignition switch "hosed"

Thanks in advance

Try a little lubricant first.

Of it turns to lock, then the key is still activating the tumblers fine.

It's either sticking in that direction or its possible you have a fault in the switch contacts (ie: bent up edge, etc) that is catching.

I'd lean towards an internal fault given the description, but shoot a touch of lube down the tumblers and see what cha get.

Thanks Mike and everyone else

Worn key, dirt in cylinder, lack of lubrication.

Mike

1) Worn key.. I am looking in to getting a new one

2) Dirt in cylinder... How would I go about cleaning that out? Use a can of compressed air used on computer and push the little red "straw" from the can down into the lock and spray? Or will this cause further issues?

3) Lack of lubrication. A friend told me to use powdered graphite... do you agree?

The lock cylinder can be taken apart, cleaned and greased up. How worn are the grooves in key? Do they look worn and rounded off?

1) The lock cylinder can be taken apart, cleaned and greased up... Is this a complicated affair and where can I get info on how to do that? The greased up part... what kind of lube do you recommend?

2) How worn are the grooves in Key? Do they look worn and rounded off?.... Yes

Generally speaking what kind of lube should I try? I sprayed WD-40 on the key and that didn't do anything for me

Most of the time a dry graphite lubricant is best in a lock because it is less likely to freeze in winter. Try that first. Then if it were me in this case I would flush the lock with WD40. Yes push the little red straw into the lock and flood the cylinder. Then if that freed things up I would I would air dry the lock and lube with some silicone grease from an aerosol can. If that does not work remove the assembly and take it to a lock smith. Yes I know this breaks 11 of the 10 rules for repairing locks but it is what I would do just the same.

Mike

Well WD works good on a lot of stuff. But locks might not be a first choice in my book. It is an oil, and therefor has a tendency to collect dirt and then make a bad situation worse. See if this link will work for you about repairing the switch. You will have to look in "tech library" then 2nd gen electric.

I had the same problem a year or so ago. Went to a lock smith and he sprayed it with some silicon in a spray can. He DID NOT recommend using graphite as he said it had the tendency to turn to a paste when it got wet. He also said NOT to press down when turning the key. A method he showed me works every time. Grip the key withe thumb and index finger. Slightly pull back towards the key ring then turn the key. You can feel a slight bit of sloppiness in the lock mechanism when you pull back then turn. Works every time!

Dealer wanted I think $180.00 for a new lock. Plus you have to drill out the existing bolts as this is an anti thief feature. Not sure if new bolts with break away heads come with the new lock. :080402gudl_prv:

Radio Shack carries a key lube and clean spray. Home depot carries a silicon solvent spray called 'Blaster'...something. It's in the WD40 area. Leaves a dry surface after it flashes off and I like a lot. So much so I can't find a can... need to get some more... :-) CRC also makes a QD Electronic Cleaner. I suspect it may also have silicon in it?? Since there are electrical contacts in the ignition switch you don't want to use anything that will leave an oily film which will attract dirt.....