IGNORED

Wisconsin valve adjustment help

It's time for a valve adjustment on 07 Venture with 30,000 miles on it. I am considering doing this myself but was wondering if there are any Wisconsin riders out there that have done it before that would be interested in giving me a hand. Also anybody close (I'm in Appleton) that has a shim kit and or shim tool that I could borrow?

Thanks

Jeff

If you buy the gaskets and parts from @skydoc_17 on this site he will let you use his shim set and tool.

I just finished doing my valves and sent the shim kit and tool back to its rightful owner.

I have a first gen so there are differences in taking the bike apart, but the procedure for setting the valves is the same. I am not real far away in Milwaukee. There are a few members closer to you that have also done this job.

Shameless plug, I do make and sell the valve shim tool, PM me.

A thread of Jeffs.

I have a shim kit and a Flyingfool built tool (although, flyinfool's tool is worth buying). You are welcome to use it. Been a couple of years since I have done the shim check, but can likely figure it all out again if you would like help. Additional tools needed - 19mm socket, set of mechanics picks, micrometer, and ideally, metric feeler gauges.

Have a clean bench around as you can use this opportunity to set the fuel bowl float levels. If you want to tackle this also, it would be beneficial to get the float bowl gaskets when you purchase the valve cover gaskets. Procedure is in the 2nd Generation Tech forum.

FYI - At 30k miles, you will more than likely not have to change any shims. Although, it is a good thing to check.

RR

Pulling the carbs makes it a lot easier. I've heard you can do it without pulling the carbs, but my fat hands wouldn't fit with the carbs in place. And yes, a magnetic pickup tool is helpful (forgot that one - it's been a while).

BTW, how are you feeling? Ticker running like a Timex yet?

RR

It can be done without pulling carbs. I didnt even consider it. In order to check the valves and get covers off the collant will have to be draind and the tube thing removed. So by the time you do that might as well set valves to highest tolerance.