IGNORED

Hondamatic CM400.

Chaharly

I honestly found them kind of boring to ride compared to a regular transmission. Never owned one because of that fact.

Usually a 400 is small and light so its fun to get it boiling in tight corners, but the autotrans (as I recall) even threw a wet blanket on that fun too.

They were still Hondas though, so they were pretty reliable. Relegated to commuter status by almost everyone which, if I remember correctly, was Hondas target audience with that model. Kind of trying to get "non motorcycle people" on motorcycles.

I know they used to somewhat desirable to convert into "handicapped" sidecar haulers for wheelchairs with remote controls. I've seen a couple conversions in my time but that seems to have faded out. Probably beciase they're just old now.

I'd pass, but that's just me. Not my kind of ride....

Yep, had both the 400 and the 750's.. LOTS OF FUN and very very well built!! Totally capable of LOTS of miles.. Personally, I am a shifty kind of guy who, given the choice - prefer's to do the shifting, also it seems like anytime you go from manual to automatic it does cost in power BUT - Tip and I still have a Honda Helix scooter we play on a LOT around home.. Similar and FUN!!!

See the reason why he's interested in the Hondamatic is that he's not very comfortable shifting with his hands. He has a hard enough time driving his civic.

Basically I was wondering if itd do 60 all day and if it was reliable

My wife had one in about 82 or so. It was a great bike for folks (like her) who fear stalling when pulling into traffic etc. The guy who eventually bought it from us was still putting around the village of Foremost until just a few years ago.

My objection was that when you closed the throttle, IT DIDN'T SLOW DOWN LIKE I EXPECTED. It felt like it accelerated. I'm sure it didn't but without compression braking it startled the heck out of me the first few times.

And oh yes, it would do 60 all day, but it had a small fuel tank so when we'd ride west about 70 miles against the wind into the nearest city, she'd have to fill up.

I never had a 400 but I did buy a 750 Hondamatic a few years ago. Found it locally at a price that I couldn't refuse. Road it home, about 20 miles, and one more short ride and then found a buyer for it. I was actually fairly impressed with it.

c854_3.JPG

I would love that 750 now. Something I could wrestle around a little. Not too sure about the automatic. I was looking at some Can Ams this morning. The automatic was 250 bucks more. I think I would go with the manuel if I ever went that way. Any idea what Carl's is ?? I never got a look at it yet.

Something that always impressed me about the Honda's (I am talking the older 400/750's - NO IDEA ON THE NEWER VERSION 700 OR WHAT EVER IT IS) was that they were true automatic's in the sense that they had an actual fluid drive torque converter (notice the larger "clutch area" on them if you ever see one).. Honda used regular engine oil (not ATF) as hydraulic fluid to power off the veins in the converter - plus they were both air cooled engines (the 750 was still the early SOHC motor like we used for years in chop builds).. This was actually doing double duty on the oil and caused necessary early oil changes - lots of folks did 1500 mile changes.. That said though,, beside "normal" bike maintenance, both the 400 and 750's were totally capable bikes reaching into the thousands of miles with NO problem = VERY durable!!

I actually found my 400 auto to be as fast in performance as the 750's automatics that I have owned, probably sounds nuts but that what it seemed like. The smaller 400 ran pretty dog gone good for what it was. If memory serves correctly, the 400 was 3 or 4 valve heads, again the 750 was the old school, pre double over head cam (Honda used the SOHC 750 up thru 78) heads that were 2 valve and the cutest little valves ya ever did see.. Tell ya what though, I honestly think the 750 would have been good for 200k, the 450 more of a 50k bike before needing topend work - especially cam chain guides and new chain type stuff.. The 750's had Hyvo chains to the cam, dont think the 400 did..

If any one decides to take a serious look into finding EITHER of these scoots, PLEASE keep in mind that if they have not been ran for a long time, you HAVE to pull the cam cover(s) (simple on the 750 - almost as easy on the 400) and get lube on the cam journals BEFORE you spin up on their own power.. The journals are aluminum and will gaul instantly if you dont prelube em..